PDA

View Full Version : Hopeful Part-Timer

gacri
06-29-2008, 09:58 PM
I have read several posts on the forum whcih have been really helpful. I live in NW PA and work a full time job with a flexable schedule. I have a utility trailer, gas edger, blower and Honda mower that I use for my home lawn. I ahve thought about mowing as a way to bring in some extra income which I feel will pay better then what you'll find in the typical job market. One BIG problem....I don't have any accounts? I spoke to one of my best friends whose brother has been in the business for years, and he offered to have me mow with him for a day, but it never transpired...I thought my first step was to place a ad in the local paper, second to get a commercial grade mower..Can anyone give some suggestions for my situation...I think I could handle about 4-6 accounts to start...I have looked at the 36" Exmark Mowers as well as the Gravley Mowers..Also do I need insurance and how much does it cost and wher do I get it...Sorry to sound so uneducated, BUT I am in this area. Thanks for your assistance.:usflag:

MowHouston
06-30-2008, 12:01 AM
I'd do a bit more searching in the "Starting a Lawn Care... Business" thread. There are posts like this at least once a week asking, how do I advertise, what mower, do I fold my toiletpaper or crumple it up before I wipe. :D So you can always find the answer if you look back a few weeks.

1. You dont need a 36" to start. Use your honda until you really know what you plan to do in this industry.

2. Newspapers work best in small towns. Dont use the main paper, but the ones that get delivered to the suburbs. Search "advertising" and you'll find a crapload of info on this.

3. Call your local insurance agencies for quotes on lawn service general liability insurance. again search insurance and you'll see what everyone else is paying $90/mo here for 1,000,000 general liability.