PDA

View Full Version : Horizon Seminar...

jbirdturf
06-30-2008, 09:45 AM
Has anyone taken any seminars put on by Horizon?

tadpole
07-01-2008, 11:12 AM
Been a Water Feature Contractor for 10 years. Never heard of them. What do they manufacture?

jbirdturf
07-01-2008, 08:16 PM
They are big out west, which is where I am taking the class. They sell irrigation supplies mostly and I think some outdoor lighting. They are new to me as well, but the class was a good deal.

tadpole
07-01-2008, 09:03 PM
O.K.! but why was this posted under Ponds instead of irrigation and/or lighting?

jbirdturf
07-01-2008, 10:23 PM
Because the seminar that I am taking is on ponds.

tadpole
07-01-2008, 10:58 PM
Just checked them out on their website. They are basically a 'Big Box" store like Lowe's and Home Depot but cater to the 'Green Industry'. They are distributors, not contractors or installation professionals. Most of these seminars are loaded with half-truths and lots of misinformation to sell products. I would not recommend wasting the gas required to attend. If you need information, get it from the people that are 'hands-on' involved. You will find them right here on this forum!

Lite4
07-03-2008, 09:29 AM
They are not a box store and they do not cater to the general public. They are a wholesale parts house for the landscape contractor. They are not a pond manufacturer though. They just stock and sell the parts. I have one about 10 minutes from my house and I shop there a lot. They are just like a JDL, but on a smaller scale. They sell all the things you are going to get at JDL also, except plant material.

JimLewis
07-17-2008, 03:46 AM
Just checked them out on their website. They are basically a 'Big Box" store like Lowe's and Home Depot but cater to the 'Green Industry'. They are distributors, not contractors or installation professionals. Most of these seminars are loaded with half-truths and lots of misinformation to sell products. I would not recommend wasting the gas required to attend. If you need information, get it from the people that are 'hands-on' involved. You will find them right here on this forum!

Ummm...No.

They will sell to homeowners if one could find them. But 99% of their business is wholesale to landscape contractors. They don't advertise and they don't even have a sign for homeowners to find them.

They aren't anything close to Home Cheapo or Blowes. They are pretty much just like a John Deere Landscapes. They sell pretty much the same stuff as any other irrigation / landscape distributor does except a little more. They sell power equipment. That's one thing that most irrigation / landscape suppliers don't sell. But otherwise, it's basically the same as a JDL or Ewing or Lesco. Their main focus is irrigation, but they also sell outdoor lighting, fertilizer, lawn chemicals, hand tools, and power equipment.

Horizon is probably the top or maybe 2nd biggest supplier in most western states.

Anyway, back to the Original Post; Yes, I've taken several classes there over the years. Good stuff. Don't expect to become a pro at water features after one class. But if you don't know much about how water features work and how they are installed, you'll know a LOT more after having gone to their class. That's how I got my start in water features - from a Horizon class. I was always intimidated by water features and after I took their class I was like, "Wow. That doesn't seem to difficult at all. I think I could do that." Same with their lighting classes.

Now I've learneda lot more about water features and lighting since I took those initial classes. But it was a big first step. For anyone who wants to get a good, basic understanding of something (e.g. water features, lighting, irrigation troubleshooting) the classes they have at Horizon are a great way to do that.

Another cool thing about Horizon is they have their own pond brand now. All their stuff (pumps, biofalls, skimmers, etc.) is actually made my Little Giant / Watermark. But they are made without the Little Giant / Watermark sticker on them and with the Horizon "SurePro" sticker instead. Same stuff, just 20% less price. Pretty good deal, actually.

I don't buy as much from Horizon anymore. We only buy about 10-20% of our stuff there these days. Only because another local distributor made me a much better deal. But I still like them. They are a great outfit.