PDA

View Full Version : weekend tree work

MarcSmith
06-30-2008, 12:46 PM
Well they are about the crappies trees on campus, after a storm two weeks ago, and 3 totaled cars. In we go to do some damage control. We prune and clean the trees about twice a year, but they are still fairly weak. We are now getting bids to finally take all 16 trees down...

http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk71/marcjsmith/Med%20Dent%20Tree%20Work/

this is my fave...me pretending to be peter pan...

MarcSmith
06-30-2008, 12:52 PM
here is a pic of one of the branches that came down... Bye bye honda...

Supper Grassy
06-30-2008, 01:22 PM
Those are some sweet pics

do you own the JLG Lift or is it a rental?

AndyTblc
06-30-2008, 01:37 PM
OMG, if I was hanging down from that think I think I would have died, I hate heights.

MarcSmith
06-30-2008, 01:42 PM
we own it. 120' of fun. Its about 4 years old with 300 hours on it. We also have a baker aichi 30' bucket truck mounted on in Isuzu npr, but it wasn't very useful on this project.

I think we use it more than all the other departments at the university combined.

the view of DC from Georgetown (one of the high spots in the city) is pretty neat...

MarcSmith
06-30-2008, 01:43 PM
I was only about 10 feet off the ground...we have a couple guys that won't go up in it. juts for the fact that its got an open mesh floor...

AndyTblc
06-30-2008, 02:33 PM
I was only about 10 feet off the ground...we have a couple guys that won't go up in it. juts for the fact that its got an open mesh floor...

Only 10 feet? Oh, then I would have just passed out, but we need some people that will cut down trees, and I"d rather pay you or someone that does it for a living then me risking getting hurt doing it myself.

MarcSmith
06-30-2008, 03:46 PM
trust me on the big stuff, we hire out guys. but for doing work in the high reach and not leaving the bucket, its juts as easy as cutting on the ground.

When it comes time to take the trees down. I doubt we'll do it in house, We will hire someone. if nothing more to limit our risk and potential liability.

FWIW I don't even do work at my own house. I call some one. I used to be monkey boy climbing in the tree, but one day while I knicked my wrist with a chain saw...Got lucky that day... Its not out of fear that I don't, but as I get older, I am beginning to realize my limitations.

metro36
06-30-2008, 05:48 PM
Not to criticize but the guy using the chains saw needs to get some glasses. All it takes is one chip to go blind. I like the lift. Nice work.

PORTER 05
06-30-2008, 06:18 PM
tree-work kicks ass! , my 2 favorite things about this buisness -tree-work & snow plowing!!!!!!!!everything else sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!

josh1981
06-30-2008, 11:51 PM
nice work man. What saws did u use?

MarcSmith
07-01-2008, 07:19 AM
Actually we both had glasses, but it was so humid as soon as you put em on they fogged up. If you notice you see mine sitting on top of my hat in the first pic. I know its not the best excuse. but id rather see the work I'm cutting..

We had 2 Stihl ms 192, and 2 stihl MS260

one of each in the bucket and one of of each on the ground.

metro36
07-01-2008, 07:55 AM
Actually we both had glasses, but it was so humid as soon as you put em on they fogged up. If you notice you see mine sitting on top of my hat in the first pic. I know its not the best excuse. but id rather see the work I'm cutting..

We had 2 Stihl ms 192, and 2 stihl MS260

one of each in the bucket and one of of each on the ground.
Yeah I know that happens sometimes and I do the same. You need to see what your doing. It is a good excuse. Have a good day. :waving:

MarcSmith
07-01-2008, 08:11 AM
Actually is what I should do is get some of the hard hat/muff/screen things... solve the problem all together.....

Hortus
07-01-2008, 08:27 AM
Actually is what I should do is get some of the hard hat/muff/screen things... solve the problem all together.....

I used those early in my career, but went towards a lighter type fiber hardhat with a clear visor. Depending on the conditions, where dust and fine debris is a problem, I will use a pair of vented glasses/goggles with the visor. As you mentioned earlier and in either product you choose, better safe than sorry.

I used to rig early on as well, but it's sure is nice to have a lift or bucket on site.

Lawn Enforcer
07-01-2008, 10:36 AM
Who is the crazy guy hanging from the lift-lol:laugh:
You look like you were having fun!

P.S. I was on a US History tour and we stopped right outside of Georgetown. I wanted to go and try to get a hold of you and chat, but we had to get going.

MarcSmith
07-01-2008, 10:45 AM
Who is the crazy guy hanging from the lift-lol:laugh:
You look like you were having fun!

P.S. I was on a US History tour and we stopped right outside of Georgetown. I wanted to go and try to get a hold of you and chat, but we had to get going.

I had to test the harness somehow....:)

My office is always open for everyone...

metro36
07-01-2008, 09:44 PM
The hard hats are nice but when I tried one it stuck on things when I went up into a tree. I perfer good ole glasses and a pair of muffs.

Lawn Enforcer
07-01-2008, 10:16 PM
I had to test the harness somehow....:)

My office is always open for everyone...

I tried to tell one of my chaperons that I knew you, but we had a schedule to keep, but otherwise I would've been there!

josh1981
07-01-2008, 11:01 PM
nice saws. how u like 260/

P.Services
07-01-2008, 11:08 PM
i have a 260 pro (has a decompression valve) and it is a awsome saw!!! im going to buy 2 more soon along with a 440 and 2 ms200's and one more i cant remember i think it has like a 192 or some thing???? same as the top handle but is a super light ground saw.

Hortus
07-02-2008, 07:10 AM
The hard hats are nice but when I tried one it stuck on things when I went up into a tree. I perfer good ole glasses and a pair of muffs.

For groundwork I use the hardhat, for climbing and those occasions where I'd just want protection from bumps and not impact, the half helmet is the way to go.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i70/fvmurray1/HuskyPetzlArboristHelmet-2.jpg

MarcSmith
07-02-2008, 07:13 AM
the 260 is a nice saw, with lots of power. but personally I would not spend the money on the ms200t. The ms 192 is the same saw... just the 192 has a slightly smaller engine. and trust me. the 192 screams...it really doesn't need anymore engine. and its not worth the extra 100 bucks or so. IMO....

the 260 is a great ground saw.... and its no so bad in large bucket. but not a tree saw...its a beast...

Hortus
07-02-2008, 07:22 AM
i have a 260 pro (has a decompression valve) and it is a awsome saw!!! im going to buy 2 more soon along with a 440 and 2 ms200's and one more i cant remember i think it has like a 192 or some thing???? same as the top handle but is a super light ground saw.

Right on! I have that 260 pro as well, great medium saw. The 320 pro(groundwork) was my other saw for a while also. I've retrofitted the Oregon thin-kerf bars and chains when replacing and the 026 is the go to choice for the larger limbs, while I'll try to use the smaller one mostly for the canopies.