PDA

View Full Version : 4x4 posts and raised patio

bobcatnj
06-30-2008, 05:25 PM
planning on building a raised patio underneath a overhang to a front door. the overhang has 3 4x4 posts for support. 2 of them are loose and the one at the end of the porch holds up all the weight. i was planning on cutting the 4x4's and placing them on the retaining wall stone. how do i go about raising the overhang?

Merlin300
06-30-2008, 07:26 PM
I'm gonna throw out maybe a stupid answer. Without seeing the overhang, or how wide it is. Could you use a loader to hold up the over hang while you cut and place the 4x4's?

Other than that I have no clue without seeing pics.

amscapes03
07-01-2008, 12:54 AM
You could ask a carpenter, but i think when they replace posts they use a few 2" x 6" (16 footers maybe - how high is the overhang?) boards on an angle to so very slightly raise and prop up the overhang. Whatever you end up using, work fast!

bobcatnj
07-01-2008, 05:57 AM
the over hang is maybe 15 ft off the g. round

amscapes03
07-01-2008, 11:22 AM
Hey Bobcatnj.......Just noticed where your from. i grew up in Washington, NJ When i was a kid (some 35 years ago) i remember my Dad taking me to the track in Flemington to watch the stock cars. Is that track still there? As far as the overhang goes, i'd probably get 3 or 4, 20 foot 2" x 6". You may need to cut them to a proper length before propping them on an angle. What you want is strong temporary support, while still allowing you to have room to work.

senatorcongressman
07-01-2008, 11:31 AM
You didn't mention the size of the overhang. I would build a long beam out of 2x8's (or larger depending on the span) to span the beyond the the full length of the porch far enough that each end is well outside of the work area. Support each end of the beam with a post. On each post use a 2x4 on an angle to brace the post to the beam. Also a good idea to brace it to the house and the overhang.

bobcatnj
07-01-2008, 04:29 PM
thanks for the info so far. the over hang is about 45 ft long. amscapes03: they knocked down the track a while ago. they got a bunch of stores going in there that they started building last year.

amscapes03
07-01-2008, 11:11 PM
Wow. That's long. I was thinking it was a small overhang, like 8' x 8' or so. I agree with Senator. Good luck!

bobcatnj
07-02-2008, 04:36 PM
how would you attach the 4x4 or would the weight keep the pressure down

S&MLL
07-02-2008, 08:37 PM
Bobcat NJ You said its about 15' height and 45' long but how wide is it. I guess it cant be to wide if there is only 3 4"x4" holding it up. Either way your going to need to create a Strong sub frame to hold up while building the raised patio. Because something of that size i dought can be build in more than a day. Your going to want to use the boards on say a 45 coming out and then a 65 or so . So make say 4 sets of y's. The way you would attach the posts are with the same brackets you would use when setting in a sonotube. Not sure if you have ever build a deck. Now the construction inspector wont pass you for that so you might have to incorporate sonotubes into your design. Then use 2 piece wide columns with caps on top and bottom to cover it all up.

bobcatnj
07-03-2008, 06:06 AM
yea i know what u are talking about. the u shaped brackets. that is what i was figuring, but maybe there was a different way