PDA

View Full Version : Timer Trouble

MarkOlex
06-30-2008, 06:43 PM
In the past two weeks we have installed 11 15558 timers. I have received calls saying the lights did not come on last night. On the first call I thought the GFI or breaker probably tripped. When I checked it out (there are two transformers at this location) it was like the time had been set but the on/off was never programmed. This was my second visit to this location with the same trouble. Since then 8 other timers have done the exact same thing. I am puzzled. Was this just a bad batch of timer? I have always used this particular timer with few troubles. Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Chris J
06-30-2008, 07:11 PM
I've noticed this on several occasions, but I have no idea what causes it. Maybe a power surge? For it to be happening on that many in such a short period of time is amazing. You aren't exagerating are you? I have hundreds of these installed, and I might see this once a month.

MarkOlex
06-30-2008, 07:24 PM
No exaggeration at all. I am puzzled. My distibutor has not seen anything like this before either.
I cannot believe it was a surge because it has happened at several different locations. At one location, one timer was fine and the other lost its programming.

TXNSLighting
06-30-2008, 08:12 PM
i used the kichler timers and have had three stop working. The time is still going, the programs are still there, they just wont turn the lights on... very weird...

Chris J
06-30-2008, 09:05 PM
Well, this thread has provoked me to do a little research and while this is not about the timer being discussed I thought it would be good info for all.
Intermatic, Inc. has issued a voluntary recall of its DT27 Timer, packaged as DT27C Heavy Duty Digital Timer and DT27CL (Lowe's only) Time All™ Digital Lamp and Appliance Self-Adjusting Timer. While there have been no incidents of damage and no reports of injury, products with manufacturing code 04B have been found to be manufactured in a way that could potentially cause them to result in electrical shock to a consumer under certain circumstances. A total of 8,500 units of date code 04B are being recalled. ONLY TIMERS WITH DATE CODE 04B are affected by this recall.
I know some of you guys have been using this clock, so be on the look out for this date code.

TXNSLighting
06-30-2008, 10:07 PM
Thanks for looking that up Chris.

David Gretzmier
06-30-2008, 10:39 PM
ah yes, the old 15558's, I know that ...wait, what the heck is a 15558? Is this the black digital intermatic timer no cover, with the whitish/clearish buttons on the bottom right? I have many, many ( 200 ? ) of those for Christmas light clients and probably 2 dozen or so for Landscape light clients. we replace maybe one a week during Christmas season, maybe 6 in the entire season. I've replaced one for landscape lighting that I know of, mainly because we use extra caution to mount in a dry location for landscape lights. Also since we use the FX trans ususally, the timer is inside the box and pretty much waterproof./foolproof.

Chris J
06-30-2008, 10:43 PM
Not that David. Here you go..... http://www.landscapelighting.com/portal/products/catType/LAND_ACCESSORY

S&MLL
06-30-2008, 11:14 PM
I have had some trouble with that timer as well. I would think it had to be a bad run because i replaced it with 4 other 15558s all purchased at the same time and they all did the same thing after 2 days or so. Funny thing is Ive only seen it happen on 900 watt and up transformers. Did an install with a 15pr600ss and a 15pr900ss both had the digital timers and only the 900 kept screwing with the timers

TXNSLighting
07-01-2008, 12:54 AM
yeh thats the exact one i used!

TXNSLighting
07-01-2008, 12:55 AM
I have had some trouble with that timer as well. I would think it had to be a bad run because i replaced it with 4 other 15558s all purchased at the same time and they all did the same thing after 2 days or so. Funny thing is Ive only seen it happen on 900 watt and up transformers. Did an install with a 15pr600ss and a 15pr900ss both had the digital timers and only the 900 kept screwing with the timers

well theres more comfirmation, i pretty much only use 900's. Im bout to switch to 1200's.

klkanders
07-06-2008, 08:09 PM
I stopped by to check a recent job installed 2 weeks ago. 2 - 600 watt Kichler Pro transformers with the 15558 timers. One timer was fine the others clock was off 3 hours and programming gone? I will be keeping an eye on these and others recently installed.

Keith

NightScenes
07-07-2008, 07:46 AM
Thanks for the heads up guys, I will be keeping a close eye on this as well. I'm sure that Chris and others remember the "photo cell" issue a few years ago. That was a nightmare!!

S&MLL
07-07-2008, 10:54 PM
Yes I have stopped using photocells all together. So what have we came to the conclusion. Bad run of transformers or bad run of digital timers. It would be crazy for both combined since one is manufacturer by MDL and one is by Intermatic. I would like to see someone test one of these faulty timers on a cast transformer. Or any other company that has the "soft" start feature.

Pro-Scapes
07-08-2008, 07:53 AM
I have several of thoes timers out there in cast transformers no issues but I have not installed one in awhile so it might be a recent issue.

We have for the most part been installing UPB systems now with just about every job.

If its something the homeowner is going to mess with and its a single trans project sometimes it seems like your best off with the analog timers and photocells lol.

Its been awhile since I used a large trans like a 1200...I have found it easier to install a pair of smaller transformers.