PDA

View Full Version : Another well problem

bblawncare
06-30-2008, 08:27 PM
Hello again...I've got a well that is 35' deep, water level is at 8'. 50' of suction line-pump had lost its prime-did the old "twist" test and the pipes about fell off. I replaced both the suction and discharge @ the pump and replaced brass check valve near the well. The 1.5 hp pump holds the prime in the 50' of suction line, but then loses prime after all that water passes out the hose bib. I can reprime it and get it going, but I am only getting about 15 gpm and the rotors won't turn. If it is off more than a day, then the prime is lost shortly after the pump comes on. Sound like a bad well?

Waterit
06-30-2008, 08:55 PM
Hello again...I've got a well that is 35' deep, water level is at 8'. 50' of suction line-pump had lost its prime-did the old "twist" test and the pipes about fell off. I replaced both the suction and discharge @ the pump and replaced brass check valve near the well. The 1.5 hp pump holds the prime in the 50' of suction line, but then loses prime after all that water passes out the hose bib. I can reprime it and get it going, but I am only getting about 15 gpm and the rotors won't turn. If it is off more than a day, then the prime is lost shortly after the pump comes on. Sound like a bad well?

That or an air leak on the horizontal portion of the suction line, most likely at the 90 down into the well.

Had one a few weeks ago like that, took an hour of digging to find the leak.:weightlifter:

bblawncare
07-01-2008, 02:23 PM
On the advice of one of our local well drillers, I put a gallon of muriatic acid down the well and flushed it out. It now has enough flow and pressure to operate the sprinklers...not sure how long it will stay like that...

AI Inc
07-01-2008, 07:15 PM
So Im assuming the point was clogged ? High iron area?

bblawncare
07-01-2008, 08:57 PM
So Im assuming the point was clogged ? High iron area?

It looks that way. My experience with well problems is very limited (but getting better quickly) so I talked with a local well driller and he said this could be the issue and for me to try the acid and see if it helped...and by golly, it did. Very high iron-the water was very red/brown when I began flushing it out.

The other thing I noticed was that prior to the acid, the pressure was about 20 psi and quite fluctuating when I ran the rotors. After the acid, the pressure was a very steady 40 psi on the rotors.

Dirty Water
07-01-2008, 09:03 PM
So whats that acid do to the lawn? I hope you didn't run the rotors before flushing :D

bblawncare
07-01-2008, 09:16 PM
So whats that acid do to the lawn? I hope you didn't run the rotors before flushing :D

I thought by flushing it through the rotors I could kill the lawn and then the property owner could hire me to replace it. :laugh:

bblawncare
07-01-2008, 09:20 PM
I actually ran the water through a hose to a mulched area (with no plants). Great way to put some color in faded mulch...

Waterit
07-01-2008, 10:51 PM
The muriatic thing is old-school Florida well treatment, frowned on by EPA and Florida DEP (we got caught by a DEP guy a couple of years ago doing the muriatic thing, and got a serious lecture). Check with your local Ewing or JDL branch for well treatment products (such as Nu-Well) that are labeled specifically for treating the type of problem you just ran into.

BTW - by the time the muriatic was flushed from the well, it was so diluted that it wouldn't have hurt anything landscape-wise.