PDA

View Full Version : Base Question

kemmer
06-30-2008, 09:13 PM
Working on a monument for the fire department, i've a attached the final rendering. We dug a foundation and poured a slab with 2 pillars coming up. The bottom of the foundation will be 3' below final grade. We will be be building a 2' tall raises planter unilock block. DPW fill the hole with dirt but it was wet and is still a little wet due to storms. I went to compact it and it wouldn't compact well. My question is, should i wait for it to dry out and try to compact it again? Then dig 6-8" down and install a QP base? or get 24 tons of QP and fill the whole hole? Or the other option is dig a trench where the wall will be down to the foundation level about 2-3' and fill and compact with QP and then set the block?. That orange line on the block is going to be the final grade

Note: we will be installing a 6" tall curb in the roadway to help raise the grade to that level

Heres the drawings to see it better
http://www.haworthfire.org/monument/Haworth_Fire_Dept_Monument.pdf

Heres some pictures
http://haworthfire.org/site/Monument_files/shapeimage_10.jpg

Merlin300
06-30-2008, 10:12 PM
If it were me. I would dig the trench and add base. No way I would wait for it to dry out.

Merlin300
06-30-2008, 10:14 PM
That looks like a fun project by the way. Good luck with it.

amscapes03
07-01-2008, 12:46 AM
Very nice. Did you design that? Should make a water feature out of the fire hydrants.....just kidding.

amscapes03
07-01-2008, 01:29 AM
Wow. Just took a look at your monument pdf. Excellent drawings. What software are you running?

kemmer
07-01-2008, 06:37 AM
Ya thats what i was thinking, dig a trench down and fill it with qp for the base. ya it is my design, i used vectorworks for the drawings and adobe illustrator for the renderings, i needed to get it checked out by a engineer because the ring thats suspended weighs around 600lbs. were just waiting on the steel then will see some progress.

Dountman
07-01-2008, 05:44 PM
Looking good Kemmer. Construction details look good as usual. I bet you could get an A in Mike's class with those.

kemmer
07-01-2008, 06:38 PM
hey whats up colin, hows summer treating you