PDA

View Full Version : renovation

RedWingsDet
06-30-2008, 09:18 PM
Let me know what I can do differently, and improve, and what you vets think.

Anyway, old 3/4" atmospheric re piped to 1" PVB piped straight from the water meter, there is a drain in the basement also.

old 4 zone system.
Updated to 5 zone system with a 6 valve pvc manifold and 6 pgv's.
2 zones capped off (back yard) and new 1" lines installed and 6 new pgps for those zones.
6 new pgps for 2 front zones, and 6 new 4" sprays for front.
new hunter pro c with 3 station module
wireless irritrol rain sensor

If i were to do it over again, I would have done the vb a little differently and placed the valve lower, but it should be ok, more personal preference. I also would have not used that elbow on the bottom that connects to the manifold, but again personal preference.

Pic 1 is old atmospheric
pic 2 is new pvb
pic 3 is old valve set up.
pic 4 is zone 4 of 5

I didnt get a pic of the finished valve manifolds or anything of the front, with all the rain there was no time for pics. I will get more pic's tomorrow.

please critique me as i always am looking for new ways to improve.

Wet_Boots
06-30-2008, 10:01 PM
Copper looks fine.

Waterit
06-30-2008, 10:26 PM
Nice clean job (and this comes from a PVC guy!)

Kiril
07-01-2008, 01:38 AM
Wish I could see more backflows with unions installed, especially in areas that freeze.

WalkGood
07-01-2008, 02:09 AM
Minor points on aesthetics...... wipe down the copper with a wet rag while it is still hot so you don't have those green marks or the black scorch marks. Also hit the solder drips quickly with the torch and wipe them off as well.

I would have opted for a threaded tee for the boiler drain. And I like 1/4 turn ball valve drains.

http://www.grainger.com/images/products/enlarged/XL-1APV5.JPG

CAPT Stream Rotar
07-01-2008, 05:45 AM
looks good man

Tom Tom
07-01-2008, 05:30 PM
I like the PVB to be about 5 to 6" from the house so the entire device can be removed/replaced easily when it freezes.

Also, use a cast 90 ell with a drain.

Tom Tom
07-01-2008, 05:34 PM
Minor points on aesthetics...... wipe down the copper with a wet rag while it is still hot so you don't have those green marks or the black scorch marks.

you should wipe down the joints after they cool, not while hot

AI Inc
07-01-2008, 06:10 PM

I wipe em with a dry rag while the solder is still flexible.

WalkGood
07-01-2008, 09:00 PM

Cool temp doesn't help the same as when still a hot temp. And I do not mean wipe with wet rag while the soldered joint is still molten/flexible. But the wet rag should sizzle on the pipe.

You can "soak up" or knock off any extra blobs of liquid/molten solder with some steel wool. Even wipe it a bit w/o disturbing the joint. It does take a certain "touch" not to disturb the soldered joint. Then wipe with a wet rag WHILE IT IS STILL HOT.

Started sweating copper 31 years ago, only two leakers. Honest.

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-02-2008, 07:36 AM
I like to run the solder down the pipe and make interesting designs and then leave the mess on to cause random interesting green patterns. Sometimes I'll leave a solder drip hanging from the bottom and sharpen it to a point.

jimmyburg
07-02-2008, 09:32 AM
looks great, like the pics

BSME
07-02-2008, 06:31 PM
What city is that in? If I ever pick it up for winterizing I'm going to be mad at you for not leaving me a drain on the elbow

RedWingsDet
07-02-2008, 08:35 PM
What city is that in? If I ever pick it up for winterizing I'm going to be mad at you for not leaving me a drain on the elbow

trust me, im already upset that it isnt there.

RedWingsDet
07-02-2008, 08:45 PM
boxes and manifold.

before i left I ziptied the wires to get them out of the way.

I would have done things a little differently, mainly personal preference stuff like wiping the glue and primer, and a few others, I am a neat freak, I wish I had a pic of the last house I did a manifold and box at.

AI Inc
07-03-2008, 06:21 AM
trust me, im already upset that it isnt there.

Then why didnt ya put it in?

Mjtrole
07-03-2008, 10:48 AM
next time make sure your blowout is at least 12" from the top of the backflow.