PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing a new mower need recommendations

Flashpoint
01-09-2002, 01:32 AM
Hi!

I have been reading your site and comments for quite some time. Now it is my turn to ask for advice. I have read many posts recommending various mowers. I have narrowed down my choices to the following:

Tiger Cub 21 Kal engine 52in cut

X2001-2 Dixie Chopper 20 kal 50 in cut (might be out of the price range)

Lazer Z 20 Kal 52 in cut

Any other suggestion welcome. This is for a small commerical application. Largest size area 5 acres. We need to purchase the best we can but money is definately a HUGE issue. I have looked at the Gravely and like the pricing but am concerned about the 20hp b/s engine. Any comments or suggestions would be great!

odin
01-09-2002, 01:45 AM
We have a dixie chopper and a 48in lazer z and both are excellent .
I dont know about the tiger cub i havent had one but i did own a turf tiger and had a lot of problems with it.
I would say demo these machines if you can and that way you can compare them
Dealer support is another factor to, you want a dealer who will take care of you good.Dealer support is almost as important as the machine you choose.

CSRA Landscaping
01-09-2002, 08:54 AM
I've been using the 19 HP Kaw, Tiger Cub 48" deck and it's been good. I just went and got a 36" Scag WB yesterday!

summitgroundskeeping
01-09-2002, 09:03 AM
Kawasaki aka kaw. not kal. I see your looking at 50"-52" decks. If your looking at these size decks I guess you aren't mowing large areas, and if so I would recomend a 52" Super Sufer by Great Dane. These are awsome machines and are worth your time looking at. But if you feel the need for a ZTR, then don't get anything less than a 60" deck b/c then you are just wasting your hard earned money and should buy a w/b. A new hydro walk behind (aka w/b) can mow at 8mph (at least the new Gravely can). But if you want a ZTR, look at Gravely's ZTRs, or Scag since they use better pumps now, or Great Dane's Chariot. But what ever you buy, make sure you get it from a great dealer that will help you out during the season so u have as little down time as possible.
Good Luck

KB
01-09-2002, 02:01 PM
Of the three that you mentioned, I would go with the Exmark. Have you considered the Lazer HP 23/Kaw 52"? That is what I have and it is great. I also work with someone who uses the Tiger cub and I like the Exmark much better. I do not know how big all of your properties are but you might want to consider a walkbehind if money is an issue and some of your properties are small. I had an Exmark Turf Tracer last year and sold / puchased the Lazer HP. I cut all residential and have come to realize that the walk behind served me better all things considered. My Lazer HP has only 100 hrs so if you might be interested in buying it used, let me know. I sold my walk behind last year to someone in the St. Louis area.

1stclasslawns
01-09-2002, 06:10 PM
Look at a GREAT DANE chariot or Jr both are available with a 52" cut deck. The chariot rides better. And parts are going to be available at your local John Deere dealer. I have a 61" with a25 kohler, and have demoed a 48" jr.

The thing I like about the Great Dane is the controls The handles are close together like a walkers and just in case you need to abandon ship for somreason or another yu can where as a set of handles that go over your lap will hold you in.

Jim

GrassChopper
01-09-2002, 06:52 PM
Wright Sentar or Stander.

'Nuff said.

LAWNGODFATHER
01-09-2002, 08:21 PM
Exmark Lazer hp 23hp Kohler, nelson air filter.

The Scag you will have to get at Erb they are great guys out there by you. Talk to Dave Bowker, I think that's his name.

I never tried the small Scags.

The DC only had 60", know nothing on the smaller ones but they have the same hydro system.

65hoss
01-10-2002, 12:44 AM
I have the eXmark Lazer HP 52" with 23 Kawi. Its a great all around mower. Gets into tight places on small residentials and covers large areas at the speed of the full size lazers (9.5 mph). It is also great on fuel consumption. With all the noted problems about the scags I believe I would stay away from them.

Jim Feder
01-10-2002, 10:01 PM
We have the cub 48" and 36"w/b 48" w/b scag
we love them