PDA

View Full Version : Patio near tree?

PeteB
07-01-2008, 07:38 AM
I have a young peach tree in the front of our house, and I'd like to put a patio in. How close can I go to the tree? Is there a way to make sure the roots don't grow under the patio(like some sort of root barrier)?

Thanks.

PlatinumLandCon
07-01-2008, 07:42 PM
They will grow under... maybe put geotex up to the trunk. I would leave at least a 2' diamater around. You could put those decorative metal grates that are used downtown to protect trees' bases or just leave the topsoil exposed for flowers. Is there no chance to transplant the tree? It might be your best bet.

PeteB
07-01-2008, 10:20 PM
I could move the tree, but I am trying to find a way to leave it. If I can't find a sure-fire way to protect the patio from the roots then I will move the peach tree. It is small and healthy.
Thanks for the reply musclecar.
Anyone else have thoughts?

Dreams To Designs
07-02-2008, 07:14 AM
Transplanting would be your best move for a couple of reasons. It will be better for the tree and the mess you won't have to clean up from a messy fruit tree. If you do choose to leave the tree, installation of a root barrier will create a large container for the tree to grow on. Muscles idea of the spacing and tree grate would be good additions as well.

Kirk

PSUturf
07-02-2008, 10:37 PM
Biobarrier is supposed to keep the roots contained for 10 years. It s a fabric impregnated with Treflan herbicide.

PeteB
07-03-2008, 07:19 AM
I like the idea of a barrier, but is Treflan safe to use for an edible fruit tree?

The tree is about 3' from where the edge of the patio would be.

I may end up moving the tree or the patio if this barrier thing goes nowhere.

Thanks for all the advice so far!

PSUturf
07-03-2008, 10:55 PM
The Treflan shouldn't be absorbed by the roots because it kills the root tips as they grow towards the fabric. Google Biobarrier and check the label to be sure.