PDA

View Full Version : I guess I treated this customer right

Mdirrigation
07-01-2008, 09:36 AM
A good customer of mine passed and willed me everything. I was shocked , still am. I Have had this woman as a customer for 23 years , I turned on her sprinkler in april . She passed at the end of may. I would sit and talk to her when I was there , I knew she didnt have any family . I had a knock at my door last friday , it was her attorney . He told me she had passed and that she willed me her entire estate , well when he told me the estimated amount my wife just about passed out. As of now my 2 kids have college paid for , I have a stock portfolio ,rather large , and 2 more houses and a caddy . Now I have to figure out weather I still want to work .

AI Inc
07-01-2008, 09:38 AM
Yes you should still work. Im guessing part of the reason she left it to you is because she appreciated your work ethic and company.

DanaMac
07-01-2008, 09:41 AM
Holy ****!!!! Maybe I need to be a little nicer to mine. Wait, is today April Fools Day? No, I guess not. Looks like you did something right over the years. Good for you. :)

Kiril
07-01-2008, 09:49 AM
Always a good thing to take a little time out of your day to communicate with your clients.

Wet_Boots
07-01-2008, 09:55 AM
Yeah, sometimes I leave the job, after a bit of a chin wag, and wonder if it counted as quality time for the customer.

JohnnyRoyale
07-01-2008, 10:11 AM
Congrats!!! How much $$$$ are we talking about here?

Dean of Green
07-01-2008, 10:12 AM
Congratulations. What a relief not to have to worry about college expenses. With the two houses that also gives you some options(rent, lease with option, or just outright sell). Lot of good decisions coming your way. Take your time with them and get advice from people you trust.
As far as work or retire? Take your time with that decision as well. You might see that you get a new outlook on work. You now have the freedom to pick and choose the type of work you wish to do. I am currently looking at making a move from doing any type of maintenance(weekly, bimonthly) to only taking care of weeklies with full landscape management needs. In other words no more dust patches and crap properties. Look at your customers and see what direction you want to go. You can always retire later. Will be harder to start back up if you change you mind later.
Well again congrats.

Wet_Boots
07-01-2008, 10:18 AM
Two extra houses. A Caddy. All you need are a dozen girls to fill the houses, and you can be a Mac Daddy!

larryinalabama
07-01-2008, 10:29 AM
Reminds me of some threds where LOCS said they dont have time to deal with old people

SprinklerGuy
07-01-2008, 10:56 AM
How much for the caddy ? ;)

Mike Leary
07-01-2008, 11:06 AM
I wonder if it has Dagmar bumpers.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dagmar

Wet_Boots
07-01-2008, 11:17 AM
I wonder if it has Dagmar bumpers.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dagmar

....and leopard-skin upholstery!

WalkGood
07-01-2008, 09:47 PM
I'll bet he didn't sell her a $750 controller she didn't need. LOL :rolleyes: :dizzy:

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-01-2008, 09:59 PM
I'll bet he didn't sell her a $750 controller she didn't need. LOL :rolleyes: :dizzy:

Lotsa ways to separate brat kids from their inheritance:) Everybody needs a 750.00 controller from me.

Mdirrigation
07-01-2008, 10:06 PM
Well the caddy is an eldorado , 2000 , it is the performance package , she was 77 when she bought it , it has 11,000 miles on it and garage kept , I think I will keep it . As far as how much? Her late husband was an investment banker who taught her well , the dividends that are paid monthly are 15K . The principle is quite large . The houses are small about 2000 sq ft . but 1 is at the beach , and the other is on the water . I wont quit working anytime soon , probate takes a year or so , but it is a serious consideration in the near future .

DanaMac
07-01-2008, 10:39 PM
The houses are small about 2000 sq ft . but 1 is at the beach , and the other is on the water .

Geez, thanks. My house is 2150 sq ft.. :)

So the beach house is the new Official Lawn Site Irrigation Guys Time Share, right? :laugh:

Waterit
07-01-2008, 11:01 PM
Mdirrigation, are you perhaps in need of a third child? I just happen to be available for adoption: I've already done college, I can dress myself, and for the most part am potty-trained (see thread on peeing in customer's yard).

I am also an excellent designated-driver, no points on my license and a Safe Driver rating for over 25 years.

Let me know! I can be packed and moved in, like, tomorrow!:laugh:

CAPT Stream Rotar
07-02-2008, 07:13 AM
awsome.

sweet brah..

AI Inc
07-02-2008, 07:23 AM
Cappy , hows the job going?

Flow Control
07-02-2008, 07:58 AM
Wow, that's great. Now you can be like DirtyWater and just chime in when you feel like it from your beach house or where ever you are at.

irrig8r
07-02-2008, 11:18 AM
Looking at the bigger picture, if I were to encounter that kind of windfall, I would hope to set it up so that it gave me more free time, and gave my family a safety net (but not a crutch) and also allowed me to contribute to changing the world towards whatever my vision of it happened to be... through my favorite church, charities, community improvement projects or even political causes... either with money or volunteer time...

StBalor
07-02-2008, 01:46 PM
I have often been asked this question over the years. If i had enough money to where i did not have to work, would i still work? My answer is always the same, Yes, Just not as hard as i do now. Just enough to keep me doing something once in a while but not enough to stop me from getting out and do whatever i wanted.
We all know how we get come late winter early spring, were chomping at the bit to get started, and i like that feeling.

lowvolumejeff
07-03-2008, 12:46 AM
Hey, I'm available. Jeff

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-03-2008, 08:14 AM
If I had a windfall I'd become a full time redneck with 10 coonhounds and cook brisket all day. I'd also get a beat up trailer home and live on the outskirts of a lake where all the rich folks would have to drive by me to get to their second homes.

AI Inc
07-03-2008, 08:18 AM
The king of whitetrash?

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-03-2008, 08:23 AM
The king of whitetrash?

After years of upselling it seems the appropriate way to go.

Wet_Boots
07-03-2008, 08:52 AM
I'd get a 4000 cfm air compressor and blow some PGPs into the stratosphere. :)

Dripit good
07-03-2008, 09:28 AM
If a windfall like that landed in my lap I most certainly would exit the rat race. I would work harder on my hobbies and recreation. Life is too short and would will the good fortune to family and others....................you can't take it with you.

DanaMac
07-03-2008, 09:48 AM
If a windfall like that landed in my lap I most certainly would exit the rat race. I would work harder on my hobbies and recreation. Life is too short and would will the good fortune to family and others....................you can't take it with you.

Yup. I would find a way to still own the company and allow it to operate without me. Overpay for good people, and make a little coin along the way. Or sell the damn thing and be done. :)

getthenet
07-03-2008, 09:59 AM
My wife would quit her job, hire a nanny, blow it all, and I would still be right here. But I'm ok with where I am so let her go have her fun. First I better get my windfall.

Waterit
07-03-2008, 06:34 PM
Yup. I would find a way to still own the company and allow it to operate without me. Overpay for good people, and make a little coin along the way. Or sell the damn thing and be done. :)

Personally, wouldn't want to have any part of it if I wasn't running the show. We make little coin as it is, let someone else have the headaches and glory.

Sell it, set up living trust for kids, donate heavily to charity, buy my late-70's parents some more comfort, buy island, spend rest of life fishing and eating. And building stuff to stay active and keep from getting fat.

Dean of Green
07-29-2008, 11:22 PM
Just looking for an update on this. How are things going?

Dirty Water
07-30-2008, 01:36 AM
He found living the highlife was to hard and gave everything to me.

JimLewis
07-30-2008, 05:40 AM
Mdirrigation, are you perhaps in need of a third child? I just happen to be available for adoption: I've already done college, I can dress myself, and for the most part am potty-trained (see thread on peeing in customer's yard).

I am also an excellent designated-driver, no points on my license and a Safe Driver rating for over 25 years.

Let me know! I can be packed and moved in, like, tomorrow!:laugh:

Funny stuff. Thanks for the laugh.... :laugh:

JimLewis
07-30-2008, 05:42 AM
MDirrigation,

Wow. Congratulations. I am jealous as hell. But congratulations. That's awesome. What a dream come true? That's life-changing. I can't even imagine how awesome that would be. You must have been pinching yourself that night.

Anyway, congrats.

CAPT Stream Rotar
07-30-2008, 06:51 AM
wana deed me your company?

you know keep the karma flowing.

Mdirrigation
07-30-2008, 09:01 AM
The estate is in probate , I wont see anything substantial for a year . I am just rolling along as normal .

Waterit
07-30-2008, 10:02 AM
Still available for adoption!:laugh:

punt66
07-30-2008, 10:20 AM
Be carefull with your new found wealth. It can be destroyed easily. I knw 3 people who were left money or property and through their stupidity lost it all and are in more debt that they were before. Thats a great gift from that lady, do her proud and protect it to be able to pass it down to your kids. Dont stop working. Your working money will allow you to save and not piss away the money given. Slow down? maybe.

j33569
08-31-2008, 05:25 PM
midirrigation, good for you. i'm in the financial biz and i have many clients like this who have nobody to leave their money to. having been through many of the conversations with these people, you probably made this womans day anytime you stopped by. best advice to you, hook up with a respected advisor at a reputable firm near you and get setup with the right vehicles. Then forget it ever happened. many times people take a little for this, little for that and then it's all gone. I'm sure that lady wouldn't have wanted that for you. Have a good one! j

kevinpmoody
09-01-2008, 12:49 AM
If i were you i would sell the houses and use the money to grow the business