PDA

View Full Version : polysand over polysand?

JimmyStew
07-01-2008, 09:46 PM
I'm going to be installing a new patio for a client later this summer and while I'm there, they would like me to "refurbish" a small walkway they put in themselves. According to what they told me, the installation was per the specs I would have done and it looks quite well. It was a straight walk with not cuts and it sits level. They also used polysand for the joints but they have settled some. Quite a bit in some locations. My guess would be that they did not run a compactor over the pavers to settle the sand before wetting it. What is the best way to bring the joint sand up? Can I sweep more sand into the joints and wet it, or will I need to clean out all the joints and start over? This is really only an aesthetic issue as we are only talking 3/8" or so down.

JohnnyRoyale
07-01-2008, 10:04 PM
Just add more. We always make apoint to show up in about a month after completion on paver jobs and sweep more into the joints.

greenguy08
07-13-2008, 02:19 PM
Sweep more into the joints? You're not talking about poly sand then? It's my understanding that you want to powerwash the joints first. Call your paver rep.

JimmyStew
07-28-2008, 10:27 PM
So what is the consensus? Sweeping new polysand in over the old will not hold up? Maybe worth a try?

I think your comment Johnny was referring to using regular sand? We always went back a few weeks after an install to sweep more sand. Haven't had any problems since we started using the polysand last year.

JohnnyRoyale
07-29-2008, 12:09 PM
It goes for both types of sand, if even the slightest moisture in the back, it will never get right in. On bigger jobs we'll go back, on smaller stuff, we'll leave them a bag.

Stillwater
07-29-2008, 01:12 PM
god man sweep more in and wash it in done........