PDA

View Full Version : Path Lighting

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES
07-01-2008, 10:05 PM
Hey guys. what is your prefered way to light a wooded path. do you like to up light the trees and get a nice glow, or do you like to down light the path like a moon lite night.

pictures would be great. I am working on a quote and have a nice long (150') path to light up.

Chris J
07-01-2008, 10:15 PM
If you have the available trees, then my choice will be down lighting every time. You get so much more effect with moonlighting than with path lights. Not only that, but path lights are susceptible to much more damage. Just keep in mind that you have a bunch more wire to account for in your voltage calculations. If your project consists of 150' of linear pathway, then that's a challenge to begin with not to mention the vertical installation of wire.

irrig8r
07-01-2008, 11:41 PM
I like the look of downlit paths when you have the trees to do it.

I think you also have to consider who is going to do the maintenance/ lamp changes.. whether it will be you or a crew...

Installing pre-wired downlights that require the fewest possible tools for re-lamping, and the longest lived lamps you can find would be my suggestion.

I might be going out on a limb :rolleyes: ... but I'd check out the pros and cons of LEDs, especially over that distance..

Personally, I have a bum hip and go up and down ladders slower than I used to... so I tend not to include a lot of tree downlights in my designs.

JoeyD
07-02-2008, 09:21 AM
Downlighting and utilizing ambiant light from surrounding uplights is always the best way to light a path.......in some cases a path light is the right application, but if you can use downlighting and surrounding light you will be much happier with the overall effect at night and the look of the landscape in the day.

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES
07-03-2008, 11:04 PM
i think i may have mislead you in how i was looking at doing this. I am not a big fan of path lights. i was mainly looking for pros and cons of uplighting with spots and 36's or down lighting with fixtures in trees.

David Gretzmier
07-03-2008, 11:52 PM
I'm the first to admit downlighting is cool, but if you are asking, then it probably means you have not done it. If you have not done it before, it requires less skill to uplight than to downlight. with deciduous trees, you will get some bounce back light from uplighting to give you ambient path lighting. bulb changeouts and aiming, repair, wire, installation, all easier with uplighting trees. I also like the look of trees that are uplit. Downlighting is more of an art, as hiding the source and getting a good effect AND providing path lighting all at the same time is not easy.