PDA

View Full Version : 1998 Walker 25hp just purchased...what you think??

tsmiff1
01-09-2002, 02:15 PM
Yesterday a bought a 98 Walker 25hp kohler with 7.0 basket. It was locally owned, and was maintained by a dealership here in town. All paper work and history came with. It has new belts; gear boxes; vaccum shute; and tires. It has 643hrs and I gave the guy $4500 for it. This is my first commercial rider and I was wondering if this was a good deal. I felt like it was after surfing the internet for hours and checking out prices on comparable machines. The mower seems to be in excellent shape I test drove it for about 20mins in some pine needles. No smoke or vibrations. Just a little rough on the painting. Also, has anyone ever had one of this things repainted? I'm young and $4500 is the biggest investment I've made yet toward my business, so just for my own state of mind I would like for it to look new and was wondering if its worth having painted. Thanks for any and all replys.
Tracey

pyrocare
01-09-2002, 02:31 PM
Tracey,
I wish you good luck with your new Walker you should love it, I know I do.:)

With the paint, you should be able to buy the Walker Yellow paint right from the dealer, if they are a Walker dealership. Walker offers it in the aerosol, quart and gallon. I personally think that it is worth the new paint job, since if your equiptment looks good you look good.:cool:

MOW ED
01-09-2002, 08:12 PM
I am wishing you good luck with this mower. I had a 98 Walker GHS with the 25 hp Kohler and all I'll say is that I personally had lots of trouble with this vintage of motor. The Walker part of it was super and I still own a Walker but this one has a 26EFI.

RMDoyon
01-09-2002, 08:48 PM
tsmiff1
I think you have made an excellent purchase.
A big plus is that it was serviced locally. Keep doing business there and they'll take care of you.

Roger

ohiolawnguy
01-10-2002, 01:18 PM
The price you paid in relevance to the hours used sounds like too good of an opportunity to pass up. We run ransomes bobcat exclusively, but at that prce, even we would have considered it.

Our reason for purchasing Bobcat products is simple. We are only 2 minutes away from the local dealer, and since we have purchased from them for years, we get good prices, and great service. The nearest dealer of anything else, is at least 15 minutes away, Our closes Walker dealer is about 30 minutes away.

E-man
01-10-2002, 01:52 PM
I think you got a great deal. You will love the quality of cut and the manuverabilty. I do , but you my not like the top ground speed. I would paint it also.

tsmiff1
01-10-2002, 02:29 PM
Thanks to everyone who posted comments. Its kinda hard explaining to your girlfriend (and parents) how $4500 is a good deal for a "scuffed up" lawnmower. Civilans just don't understand do they? I can't wait to get this thing to use. I have a buddy with a woodsmowinmachine who helped me get all the leaves up, so right now I don't have anything to do. Maybe I'll take it home and get my parents leaves up and impress them a little.
Thanks again,
Tracey
P.S.
I'll try to post a pic this weekend; maybe a before and after paint job type of thing.

Mowman
01-10-2002, 08:52 PM
I think you got a very good deal on this mower. Is it the MT or MC model? I know a MT in my area goes for almost $10,000. As far as the paint, is the paint just scuffed up on the deck or on the whole machine? My Walker is a 1993 w/ 1000 hr's on her. I just put on a new 52" deck. I just went to NAPA and bought some mild rubbing compound and rubbed it out then spray waxed it with Eagle 1 and now the whole mower looks only a few years old instead of being 9+ years old. The rubbing compound really took off the oxidation, and now it looks GREAT.
Just an idea of how to SPRUCE it up without a paint job. Hope this helps.
Mowman

walker-talker
01-11-2002, 11:14 AM
Sounds like a pretty good deal. I have the 2000 model with the 26efi and paid $9000 for mine. I have heard horror stories about the 25 kohler though. Do a search, there are threads on that. I am not trying to scare you, but just trying to be informative.

MATT