PDA

View Full Version : Driveway & Walkway job

PlatinumLandCon
07-02-2008, 01:24 AM
Here's a few pics from a recent job. It WAS my biggest job until I landed one across the street. I never thought I'd get this far being only 17.

fool32696
07-02-2008, 01:37 AM
Looks good, but I'm calling bull on "your" job

PlatinumLandCon
07-02-2008, 01:44 AM
Yeah I was debating if I should even post these because of doorknobs like you. Don't believe me if you don't want to, but how do you think I can afford such a nice truck? I don't work for anyone or ever have worked for someone else. They just started as a lawn care client, then moved to this.

TXNSLighting
07-02-2008, 02:09 AM
Looks awesome! and im getting to hate people on this site...fool32696... Its best not to respond to these idiots.

JohnnyRoyale
07-02-2008, 07:22 AM
Good for you. Where in Toronto are you from?

cgaengineer
07-02-2008, 09:05 AM
Looks really good, you should be proud!

fastcat
07-02-2008, 09:13 AM
looking good. maybe you will have to switch over to hardscaping.

cgaengineer
07-02-2008, 09:21 AM
Looks good, but I'm calling bull on "your" job

Why do you suggest he is BS'ing?

ATouchofGrass
07-02-2008, 09:30 AM
Looks great! Some people are such a$$ holes and are jealous because they have no talent! Best to just not even respond to them because there comment is just worthless. I believe that that younger people in this world today have more artistic ability and will really go far in this business. Good luck buddy!

oakhillslandscaping
07-02-2008, 09:53 AM
nice work,congrats on your success

Supper Grassy
07-02-2008, 10:10 AM
Very Nice Work

How did you learn to install like that

White Gardens
07-02-2008, 10:58 AM
Awesome Job, the lines look great and all your cuts look perfect. How do you get such a clean cut on your angles on the steps where it meets the pillars. The higher the degree of angle, the more chipping I get on the edges.

Lawn Enforcer
07-02-2008, 11:59 AM
SWEET! Awesome job! Very well done.

KACYDS
07-02-2008, 02:52 PM
Keep up the good work!!!!!!!!

FIRESCOOBY
07-02-2008, 03:30 PM
Yeah I was debating if I should even post these because of doorknobs like you. Don't believe me if you don't want to, but how do you think I can afford such a nice truck? I don't work for anyone or ever have worked for someone else. They just started as a lawn care client, then moved to this.

Looks really good!!! I am jealous...wish I had that kind of ability and creativity!!

KrayzKajun
07-02-2008, 03:35 PM
great work!!

02DURAMAX
07-02-2008, 04:03 PM

Don't Listen to Fool...Great Work!!!!

fool32696
07-02-2008, 04:41 PM
Ok, sorry about the nasty comment guys. I'll admit in a heartbeat that I don't know much about hardscaping. So lets see some in progress pics. For just starting out that job looks really good. Did you rent equipment or do you own it?

PORTER 05
07-02-2008, 06:41 PM
where did you learn how to do this?

DoetschOutdoor
07-02-2008, 07:48 PM
Wow looks good. Do you have any in progress pics or before pics?

RedMax Man
07-02-2008, 08:00 PM
Awesome job! Put that in your portfolio and next time someone thinks you don't have the ability to do a decent sized hardscape job like that show them the pics.

PlatinumLandCon
07-02-2008, 11:25 PM
Good for you. Where in Toronto are you from?

Thanks, Iím in Richmond Hill.

looking good. maybe you will have to switch over to hardscaping.

Thatís all I do anymore!

Looks great! Some people are such a$$ holes and are jealous because they have no talent! Best to just not even respond to them because there comment is just worthless. I believe that that younger people in this world today have more artistic ability and will really go far in this business. Good luck buddy!

I really appreciate it. I donít know why, I think Iím just a natural with stone. Iím really good at having a vision of a complete job and what designs to do. I hope to go far too 

Very Nice Work

How did you learn to install like that

I just did countless hours of research and talked with the guys from the stoneyard. Iíve never worked for someone to do hardscaping.

Awesome Job, the lines look great and all your cuts look perfect. How do you get such a clean cut on your angles on the steps where it meets the pillars. The higher the degree of angle, the more chipping I get on the edges.

I cut each block a few times and check my angles a ton. All cuts are made with a diamond blade.

Ok, sorry about the nasty comment guys. I'll admit in a heartbeat that I don't know much about hardscaping. So lets see some in progress pics. For just starting out that job looks really good. Did you rent equipment or do you own it?

I'll check for progress pics... the one with the stair frame is a progress pic of sorts:confused:. I own everything except the Deere... its a friend's.

Awesome job! Put that in your portfolio and next time someone thinks you don't have the ability to do a decent sized hardscape job like that show them the pics.

Yeah, for sure! I need to get a good camera and stop using my friggen phone.

PlatinumLandCon
07-02-2008, 11:28 PM
Couple progress pics...

Excavation is a sub.... what a great guy.

STIHL GUY
07-02-2008, 11:54 PM
wow that looks really nice

JohnnyRoyale
07-03-2008, 08:12 AM
Richmond Hill is a great market. Lots of upper middle class and better. Aurora and Newmarket are great too. I personally try to stay out of Woodbridge-too many cheap Italian know it alls. At first glance I thought it was a job I had priced this spring for an oriental guy-maybe cuz all the new subdivisions houses are starting to look the same. You getting your material from Beaver Valley? Hardscape is where its at brother. Keep at it-the more you do, the better and quicker you'll get. I wish I had started hardscaping at your age.

PlatinumLandCon
07-03-2008, 08:38 AM
Richmond Hill is a great market. Lots of upper middle class and better. Aurora and Newmarket are great too. I personally try to stay out of Woodbridge-too many cheap Italian know it alls. At first glance I thought it was a job I had priced this spring for an oriental guy-maybe cuz all the new subdivisions houses are starting to look the same. You getting your material from Beaver Valley? Hardscape is where its at brother. Keep at it-the more you do, the better and quicker you'll get. I wish I had started hardscaping at your age.

This area is GREAT for hardscapes. 40'x120' lots with 700k homes on them:hammerhead::dizzy:. I get my stuff from Tony and Leona Stone. He's the founder & owner and all the guys are related to him. I know all the guys on the loaders/forklifts and they always load me with more material than I order (no scale, everything is guaged by 1yd buckets). There's a couple 20-something guys that work at Beaver Valley that I like, but in general I HATE how busy they are and how they treat you.

My goal for this year was to learn as much as I can, even if I don't make any money. Now it looks like I'll make decent cash:cool2:

RhinoL&L
07-03-2008, 06:13 PM
This area is GREAT for hardscapes. 40'x120' lots with 700k homes on them:hammerhead::dizzy:. I get my stuff from Tony and Leona Stone. He's the founder & owner and all the guys are related to him. I know all the guys on the loaders/forklifts and they always load me with more material than I order (no scale, everything is guaged by 1yd buckets). There's a couple 20-something guys that work at Beaver Valley that I like, but in general I HATE how busy they are and how they treat you.

My goal for this year was to learn as much as I can, even if I don't make any money. Now it looks like I'll make decent cash:cool2:

Did you do all the work by yourself? how long did it take you? Im 17 and will be starting a patio on monday, this will be my first too!

Where did you do your research at?

New Heights
07-03-2008, 08:01 PM
Techo Block?

kreft
07-03-2008, 08:13 PM
Awesome work! Got any pics of the one across the street?

PlatinumLandCon
07-03-2008, 11:19 PM
NH, its Hanson.

Awesome work! Got any pics of the one across the street?

I'll be making final cuts and turf repair tomorrow, asphalt for the middle goes in Mon or Tues (5' interlock around, asphalt middle). I'll snap a few NICE pics next week with my sister's 7.1MP camera.

PlatinumLandCon
07-03-2008, 11:22 PM
Did you do all the work by yourself? how long did it take you? Im 17 and will be starting a patio on monday, this will be my first too!

Where did you do your research at?

I have 1-2 people helping me, both work like machines. How big is the patio? You should be able to handle it yourself. Pack subgrade, lay geotextile fabric, lay 3/4" crusher run base gravel 6-8" thick (pack in 2" layers), level and grade base, screed sand with 1" steel conduit or fence rail, lay pavers. Its pretty simple when you break it down, good luck!

DeVries
07-04-2008, 07:35 AM
Good looking work Musclecarboy. It's good to see that you are passionite about your work. Your lines and cuts look great.
My outlaws live in Richmond hill. Before I met my wife they had a driveway front entrance and patio done out back. That was about ten years ago. They have had the driveway done twice already because it keeps settling. I Know what the problem is, it's got no base. Base is the most important thing you need to do to have a job last. Most guy's don't care because it looks good for the first year or two and after that oh well.
Keep up the goo:canadaflag:d work

JohnnyRoyale
07-04-2008, 07:52 AM
You're absolutely right. Most have no clue, and base their decisions on price. I try to educate the client first, and then ensure them I'm only going to do it the right way, and base my pricing on proper construction. Most will go the cheepo route and be disspointed in the end, and in some cases, they have called me back to come fix it.

My neighbour got a quote to interlock his driveway from a paver guy door banging in the spring, and I was there while he was getting it. I kept quiet though the whole speech and tore him a new A$$hole when he finished. The guy proposed $5.50 a sq/ft for tumbled brick, (which costs us $3.50/sq ft) around $11K for a 2000 sq ft driveway. He tried to convince my neighbour the gravel driveway needed only an inch or so of additional screening and that was it. I know for a fact, theres only 4 inches of gravel spread over the driveway now, 6 inches max, and IMO it should be all peeled off, excavated and refilled and packed in layers. I gave my neighbour a true cost of doing it right and he was shocked. I told him I really dont care what he does, but warned him of the problems he'll have and what it would cost him to fix it next year when it all sinks. It didn't seem to phase him-he had that blank deer in the headlights look on his face. In the end, he's happy with the price and will probably have el cheepo do it.

PlatinumLandCon
07-04-2008, 09:37 AM
Now that you guys mention base, I see I don't have any pics of my base prep. I excavate 14" min for driveways to allow for 12" base. I always pack it in layers of 2" (no capital for a big reversible plate yet).

El Cheepo hangs around my area too. Peels asphalt off a new construction driveway (imagine how unpacked that subgrade is...) then smooths it out with screenings and there ya go, your paver base.:hammerhead:

RhinoL&L
07-04-2008, 02:23 PM
yeah i have another guy helping me. The patio is around 700 sf. Pattern Bluestone. It should be really nice.

One question i have, What type of saw would be best? Should i get something like a stihl ts 400 or something on a stand?

Thanks

PlatinumLandCon
07-04-2008, 05:30 PM
The TS400 is a proven saw and is something most people go for. Get the wet kit if you buy new. I use a $69 circular saw from home depot with a 7" diamond blade. I've realized I need a full size saw lol.

DBL
07-04-2008, 05:41 PM
wow kid you are well on your way to great success if you can do that at 17

RhinoL&L
07-04-2008, 09:23 PM
The TS400 is a proven saw and is something most people go for. Get the wet kit if you buy new. I use a $69 circular saw from home depot with a 7" diamond blade. I've realized I need a full size saw lol.

So you think a ts 400 would be better than a wet saw on a stand? I thought the stihl would be better but you guys know more than me!

Thanks

Tyler7692
07-04-2008, 09:56 PM
Musclecarboy,

I am highly interested in doing hardscaping.

When you excavated the 18 in. of dirt, what do you pack in there? Stone? What size? Like 2's on the bottom, then dusty 12s? or what? Then do you tamp it all down? Any final prep before laying blocks? How do they not move or shift, is there mortar?

Thanks

merrimacmill
07-05-2008, 01:36 AM
Awsome work. That is a really nice job. You keep going like that, you'll be doing quite well. Keep it up, and keep us updated with pictures of your work. Its impressive.

Daner
07-05-2008, 06:00 PM
Don't give any more of your tricks of the trade away...LOL ... Nice cutting on that job and great overall appearance.

I sold that Chevelle the day you were here

Cheers

Daner

PlatinumLandCon
07-05-2008, 08:00 PM
Don't give any more of your tricks of the trade away...LOL ... Nice cutting on that job and great overall appearance.

I sold that Chevelle the day you were here

Cheers

Daner

I try not to but I let them slip sometimes:laugh:. I'm a real fanatic about cuts, they all have to be within 1/8" or recut it.

Damn, that chevelle was niceeeeeeeeeee. If I had the green, I would have bought it in a heartbeat.