PDA

View Full Version : Best head for a well system

CAMP Lawncare
07-02-2008, 07:59 AM
Im getting started in irrigation a little i did a buddys 10000sf lawn and had nothing but trouble. He has a well that produces 7gpm. i was encouraged to use hunters pgj by my supplier. i was wondering what everyones opinions are for the best head to use with such a low flow well

AI Inc
07-02-2008, 08:06 AM
A hunter pgp definatly is the best. They are the only manufacturer that makes nozzles small enough to do matched precipitation and still stay below your available water.
I do a lot of systems that run on between 4-9 gpm. They work fine, you just have to set run times longer.

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-02-2008, 08:07 AM
Maxi-paws by RBird would be my choice. Seriously. But I'd definitely listen to a second opinion. No well experience here.

Wet_Boots
07-02-2008, 08:23 AM
PGP's get the nod for ease of matching up to a supply. Maxipaws will still do more distance with less pressure, but higher flows, than PGPs. And if the well water has any sand in it, Maxipaws rule.

Rainman7
07-02-2008, 05:08 PM
Have you tried the Toro T5? I used a couple of cases so far and they have a great spray pattern with low pressure. The Toro rep did a demo and showed how the T5 will seal with no leakage while the PGP and RB5000 are flooding.

Give them a try they adjust like a PGP except they use a regular screwdriver. Left side is set point.

Dripit good
07-02-2008, 05:46 PM
Have you tried the Toro T5? I used a couple of cases so far and they have a great spray pattern with low pressure. The Toro rep did a demo and showed how the T5 will seal with no leakage while the PGP and RB5000 are flooding.
Give them a try they adjust like a PGP except they use a regular screwdriver. Left side is set point.

Hard to believe that.............these are great heads.

PGP, gets my first choice, RB5000 2nd choice, Toro gets................:cry:

Rainman7
07-02-2008, 06:18 PM
Hard to believe that.............these are great heads.

PGP, gets my first choice, RB5000 2nd choice, Toro gets................:cry:

Believe what you see not what you hear. The rep. took two new heads off the shelf at my dist.(PGP & RB5000) at 15 psi the T5 was up and sealed with a good pattern while the other 2 were still flooding. They also pop up 5"... not sure if this is such an advantage.

CAPT Stream Rotar
07-02-2008, 06:59 PM
pgp I 20 I 25

no rainbirds and def not toro..

Waterit
07-02-2008, 08:13 PM
MP Rotators!:weightlifter:

londonrain
07-02-2008, 09:40 PM
MP Rotators!:weightlifter:
MpRotators get my vote....best for low pressure and low flow

londonrain
07-02-2008, 09:41 PM
Believe what you see not what you hear. The rep. took two new heads off the shelf at my dist.(PGP & RB5000) at 15 psi the T5 was up and sealed with a good pattern while the other 2 were still flooding. They also pop up 5"... not sure if this is such an advantage.
Just picked up a free t5 today so I can field test.....

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-03-2008, 12:01 AM
Just picked up a free t5 today so I can field test.....

I'm really looking forward to this. Please try the 15lb test.

I bet they don't drop if they seal that tight.

Tom Tom
07-03-2008, 12:04 AM
I'm really looking forward to this. Please try the 15lb test.

I bet they don't drop if they seal that tight.

Me 2.

I'm guessing they have weak springs to seal at 15psi and poor coverage at that.

Wet_Boots
07-03-2008, 12:24 AM
Toro probably has that inner seal that helped them with the S600 and S700 - all but eliminates flow-by.

Rainman7
07-03-2008, 07:38 AM
Me 2.

I'm guessing they have weak springs to seal at 15psi and poor coverage at that.

Good guess, a 30lb spring would probably have a hard time poping @ 15 psi:clapping: the coverage was considerably better than the other 2. They use a nozzle very similar to what I feel was the best nozzle around-The old R-50 type Rain Curtain. They may not be as inovative as Hunter-going from a circle nozzle to a square:laugh: but I think they may have come up with a very good head.

pgp I 20 I 25

no rainbirds and def not toro..

Very good, I20 & 25 will work perfectly with a 7 gpm well.

Did you guys forget what this thread was about?

I just said "try them" I did not say that I was becoming a Toro Rep. I have seen many more S600 and those other Toro heads(dont know the model-ones that pop up 1/2") that are working and not leaking than I have seen plasitic top PGP's.

Like I said, I saw them & I tried them..what are you guys afraid of? the Hunter rep not talking to you again. They are both plastic heads with plastic gears that carry a 2 year warranty. I wonder why Hunter doesnt give 5 years if they are so great?

And again. In this case with the pressure/volume problem I think you would be better serving your customer by giving them a "system" that provides optimum coverge for their situation as opposed to a piece of plastic just because it says "Hunter" on it.

Hmmm..I will still be able to log on if I convert to Toro right?

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-03-2008, 08:04 AM
Good guess, a 30lb spring would probably have a hard time poping @ 15 psi:clapping: the coverage was considerably better than the other 2. They use a nozzle very similar to what I feel was the best nozzle around-The old R-50 type Rain Curtain. They may not be as inovative as Hunter-going from a circle nozzle to a square:laugh: but I think they may have come up with a very good head.

Very good, I20 & 25 will work perfectly with a 7 gpm well.

Did you guys forget what this thread was about?

I just said "try them" I did not say that I was becoming a Toro Rep. I have seen many more S600 and those other Toro heads(dont know the model-ones that pop up 1/2") that are working and not leaking than I have seen plasitic top PGP's.

Like I said, I saw them & I tried them..what are you guys afraid of? the Hunter rep not talking to you again. They are both plastic heads with plastic gears that carry a 2 year warranty. I wonder why Hunter doesnt give 5 years if they are so great?

And again. In this case with the pressure/volume problem I think you would be better serving your customer by giving them a "system" that provides optimum coverge for their situation as opposed to a piece of plastic just because it says "Hunter" on it.

Hmmm..I will still be able to log on if I convert to Toro right?

Chill a little. There is nothing we'd like more than a Toro defender on this site. I'll try the head out sometime and give some feedback. I'm loyal to good products not brands. All the reps loathe us. I've blasted Hunter, RB, Toro, WM, along with praising them when they get something right.

Dripit good
07-03-2008, 08:34 AM
What we see with the Toros is they fail to rotate (and fail to stay in adjustment) more often as opposed to having a flow-by problem. PGPs and PGJs are the norm for us and have been a great performer, and yes the I20s and I25s are the upgrade.

Rainbird also makes great products. We incorporate both in our systems and service work. I suppose the old Chevy/Ford type debate will live on..............

(even though Chevy is better!) :drinkup:

AI Inc
07-03-2008, 08:36 AM
Been using pgp,s for 15 yrs, like em. That being said the pgj has issues. I have stopped using mid size rotors altogther. Ill just use a #2 nozzle in a pgp and knock down the distance.

Waterit
07-03-2008, 06:52 PM
I cried when RB did away with the T-Bird after all those years of trying to get them right. Loved the nozzle choice (R-50 style Radius Plus and RainCurtain).

5000's have proven very reliable, our rotor of choice, and we also use a ton of MPRotators in all flavors.

Never cared for PGP's, early versions leaked too much. And you had to have special tools to adjust them.

There's always the K-2 for anyone that likes to warranty heads by the case and deal with bizarre, differing spray patterns from heads with identical nozzles.:laugh: