PDA

View Full Version : New Deck

cgaengineer
07-02-2008, 09:15 AM
A friend and I are building this deck (10'x14') and should have it finished tonight. Its a little overbuilt with the 6"x6" posts 2"x8" joists on 16" centers and no span larger than 7 feet...Top rails are 2"x6". I have installed low voltage lighting in the posts and should have the wiring for the lights finished before the 4th. On the 4th I will be sitting on my deck with a few racks of baby back ribs in my smoker enjoying the hickory smell while relaxing.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e223/cgaengineer/DSC_2448_esm.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e223/cgaengineer/DSC_2446_esm.jpg

If anyone has suggestions on what to do at what is now the grass corner at the deck and existing patio I am open for suggestions. Due to the location of the septic system I had no other choice then to install deck in the location where it is leaving a grass area in front of the patio which will be tough to mow.

mhussey
07-02-2008, 10:05 AM
Looking good...

The new Bermuda is looking good too! Do you have a pic of the rest? I am wanting to put some type of warm season grass down. Fescue just isn't cutting it now with the heat and drought.

cgaengineer
07-02-2008, 10:12 AM
Looking good...

The new Bermuda is looking good too! Do you have a pic of the rest? I am wanting to put some type of warm season grass down. Fescue just isn't cutting it now with the heat and drought.

Thanks, long gone are the days of fescue in the south. I still have some drought stressed areas of my bermuda lawn but over all it looks really good and is fairing well. I think you would enjoy the heartiness of bermuda over a fescue lawn...just fertilizer, a little water and a ton of mowing during the growing season!

I will take some pics of the bermuda tonight and post them on this thread. I did have one area under a tree and also on a slope die, but I replaced it and have been watering and it looks great...now all I have to do is topdress and I will be all set!

Supper Grassy
07-02-2008, 10:16 AM
Nice Job with the deck

Do you plan to finish or seal it?

cgaengineer
07-02-2008, 10:36 AM
Nice Job with the deck

Do you plan to finish or seal it?

Yeah, I plan to seal with Thompsons but I am not sure if I want to use the tinted seal or not...what do you suggest? I am going to wait a week or two so that the deck will have time to dry out in the sun before sealing so I will get good penetration with the sealer.

larryinalabama
07-02-2008, 10:49 AM
Thanks, long gone are the days of fescue in the south. I still have some drought stressed areas of my bermuda lawn but over all it looks really good and is fairing well. I think you would enjoy the heartiness of bermuda over a fescue lawn...just fertilizer, a little water and a ton of mowing during the growing season!

I will take some pics of the bermuda tonight and post them on this thread. I did have one area under a tree and also on a slope die, but I replaced it and have been watering and it looks great...now all I have to do is topdress and I will be all set!

EXCELLENT JOB on the deck! What time will the ribs be ready? LOL

I have 3 fescue lawns 2 in the shade look good all year. 1 3500 sq ffoot that I have to overseed in the fall, this year it looks good due to a cooler than normal summer. I guess being from California I like green grass at Christmas time even thouggh its a pain in axx

White Gardens
07-02-2008, 10:54 AM
I hate the tinted sealer. It seems like it takes 3 months for the tint to actually soak in and everytime you touch it you get red junk on your hands and cloths.

cgaengineer
07-02-2008, 11:06 AM
EXCELLENT JOB on the deck! What time will the ribs be ready? LOL

I have 3 fescue lawns 2 in the shade look good all year. 1 3500 sq ffoot that I have to overseed in the fall, this year it looks good due to a cooler than normal summer. I guess being from California I like green grass at Christmas time even thouggh its a pain in axx

Thanks Larry, I have a terrible time with my type "A" personality so my attention to detail is excessive. I also tend to overbuild things...I will promise you if a tornado hit my house the house would be gone and the deck and the fence I built would still be standing!

Just overseed with rye if you have bermuda!

cgaengineer
07-02-2008, 11:08 AM
I hate the tinted sealer. It seems like it takes 3 months for the tint to actually soak in and everytime you touch it you get red junk on your hands and cloths.

Maybe I will rethink that...I was thinking about polyurethane on the top rails and deck boards but I am not sure it can take the heat and water...maybe I will just stick with Thompsons and retreat every year or so.

I don't want to change the color...it is what it is (Pine), but I would like to bring out the natural beauty if you know what I mean.

larryinalabama
07-02-2008, 11:21 AM
Thanks Larry, I have a terrible time with my type "A" personality so my attention to detail is excessive. I also tend to overbuild things...I will promise you if a tornado hit my house the house would be gone and the deck and the fence I built would still be standing!

Just overseed with rye if you have bermuda!

Ya 6x6 and 2x8 ove 7' is a little excessive but why not over build.

Theres a sealer Im thinking its from Behr that is the same tint as the treated lumber. I use to seal mine but havent in years now, Im kinda of used to the grey color.

I actually have 10 different distanct lawns on my property, the Zozisa and burmuda and the whatever grasses get left alone in the winter. I overseeded the Zozisa for 2 years while it was filling in as I started it weith cut up peices of sod or plugs.

cgaengineer
07-02-2008, 11:26 AM
Ya 6x6 and 2x8 ove 7' is a little excessive but why not over build.

Theres a sealer Im thinking its from Behr that is the same tint as the treated lumber. I use to seal mine but havent in years now, Im kinda of used to the grey color.

I actually have 10 different distanct lawns on my property, the Zozisa and burmuda and the whatever grasses get left alone in the winter. I overseeded the Zozisa for 2 years while it was filling in as I started it weith cut up peices of sod or plugs.

Yeah, the difference in price between heavy duty and not were not very much. I can park a tank on the deck now, and since all 9 supporting posts are in concrete the deck doesn't budge!

I will look at Behr products...just finished looking at the Thompsons website and read that I can apply directly to new pressure treated lumber.

I have only overseeded once but I plan on doing it this year.

stewartje
07-02-2008, 12:05 PM
I built decks for a living a few years ago...you don't need to wait for the deck to dry to stain it. If the wood was kiln dried at all, you can stain it right away. You will not need to put a tinted stain on the deck. The potential damage that can come is from UV rays, not moisture. As for stain, check with Porter paint...they make some deck stain that is transparent, but has a high UV protective rating. For a deck as small as that one, it probably won't be very expensive.

The deck looks good! What about a small area of patio pavers to make up where the corner would be to round it out some?

cgaengineer
07-02-2008, 12:14 PM
I built decks for a living a few years ago...you don't need to wait for the deck to dry to stain it. If the wood was kiln dried at all, you can stain it right away. You will not need to put a tinted stain on the deck. The potential damage that can come is from UV rays, not moisture. As for stain, check with Porter paint...they make some deck stain that is transparent, but has a high UV protective rating. For a deck as small as that one, it probably won't be very expensive.

The deck looks good! What about a small area of patio pavers to make up where the corner would be to round it out some?

I will look at Porter stuff too...Thanks for the advice

I was thinking the same thing and then a matching set on other side leading to gate...not sure though...I have also never installed paver's...but I have never built a deck before this one so first time for everything.