PDA

View Full Version : hands tingle

humeco
01-09-2002, 06:33 PM
I've only been back in the business for about 6 months, but I have found that I have a real bad tingling sensation in both of my hands. I know I'm no spring chicken at 52 but I can still work my butt off and have never had this problem before. I'm sure it is from the vibrations of the equipment but is there anything that will help??

Lawn Dog2001
01-09-2002, 06:44 PM
I have the same problem. Dont feel old Im 26 and it happens to me too. They sell anti vibration gloves that have gel pockets to absorb some of the vibration. You might be able to get them at landscapersupply.com. I am in the market for a good pair myself. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best place to get them?

mdb landscaping
01-09-2002, 06:48 PM
maybe you should get a pair of mechanix gloves. dont know if that will solve your problem though, but those are really good gloves.

MOW ED
01-09-2002, 08:15 PM
Some equipment vibrates more than other along with all of your lifes experience from other types of work will get you a tingling. Make sure you get the gloves and all your equipment has padding but if you are predisposed to this then there aint much that will stop it short of having a helper do the work.

MATTHEW
01-09-2002, 08:39 PM
I have the same thing from time to time. And here's what worked for me. Buy a bottle of flax seed oil. Make sure it is the refrigerated type. Take 2-4 teaspoons a day and it will be gone. It took me about 10 days for it to stop. It came back 2 months later, so I did it again. It worked again. Good luck.

fivestarlawnken
01-09-2002, 09:10 PM
You should be able to find anti-vib gloves at grainger,or a local construction supply store.Most guys who run jack hammers get them.I used them whenever I used a air hammer.:)

LAWNGODFATHER
01-09-2002, 09:18 PM
Get used to it.

It will pass in time.

gene gls
01-09-2002, 09:35 PM
LGF,

I say it gets worse in time. The older I get the more I tingle. Its blood cercilelation, my hands go to sleep it I hold the handles very long.

Gene

chicks-dig-lawn-guys
01-09-2002, 09:44 PM
Not only do I get tingling but I also get the shakes in my hands. Almost like I have a slight case of Parkinsons. Really sucks when I am trying to write after I do a yard and my hands are shaking

LAWNGODFATHER
01-09-2002, 10:23 PM
I hate to freak you out but you might want to get checked for diabetes, specialy you chics dig.

Gene, I agree with you on the blood, but mine usualy only last a week or so when I get back out mowing on a WB, but only on a WB.

mowerman90
01-09-2002, 11:57 PM
I didn't now what was causing the tingling in my hands and why my arms seemed to fall asleep at night while watching TV. I went to the Doctor for a checkup and found out that I had Diabetes and Carpel Tunel Syndrom. At least I now know what caused the tingling from time to time. To those of you that haven't been to your doctor lately my advice is GO NOW and get tested. If the Diabetes would have went undetected much longer I might have went blind, or worse. The constant vibration and use of my handheld equipment for over 13 years was a contributing factor to the Carp. Tunn. By modifying the way I use my handheld equip it has improved tremendously. The Diabetes is now controled with medicine. SEE YOUR DOCTOR, better safe than sorry.

steveair
01-10-2002, 12:47 AM
hello,

I think mowerman has made a excellent point

If you are getting tingling, then you are most likely causing damage to some part of your body. Glove, padding, home remedies may relieve the pain for awhile, but in the long run, you are headed for future health risks.

As I remember, many guys have learned to hold equipment a different way or even have learned to be ambidextrous and work with either arm, therefore spreading out the pounding.

Remember, the new power equipment has not really been around be all that long......20 years ago, people weren't using the equipment like we are today......therefore, the long term medical hazards really aren't known, or they are just starting to show up......

Hey, maybe in 10 years all contractors will be able to sue manufacturers for liable due to there ailments! Maybe we will get revenge on society like they have been getting on us finally!

steveair

bharrison
01-10-2002, 02:00 PM
I am 26, and have the same thing happening. It hasen't happened yet while operating my ZTR, but I fight it really bad when riding my motorcycle. I've tested negitave for diabetes, but it runs in the family. Even though I tested negitave, I still feel like I'm a good candidate, especially with the tingling hand thing. Interesting to know that I'm not the only one experiencing this.

-Ben

Guardian
01-10-2002, 08:23 PM
Check out first few pages of any Stihl manual and you'll be introduced to "WHITEFINGER" disease otherwise known as Raynaud's phenomenon.

It causes: reduced ability to "FEEL" and regulate temperature, numbness and burning, nerve and circulation damage & tissue necrosis.

All the advice listed above is good. This is just a side effect of the business we are in.

LAWNGODFATHER
01-10-2002, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by steveair
I think mowerman has made a excellent point

Originally posted by LAWNGODFATHER
I hate to freak you out but you might want to get checked for diabetes.

I'll take the credit for the diabetes post. ;)

chicks-dig-lawn-guys

You defanatly sound like you have it.

CPLLTT
01-10-2002, 10:53 PM
Bicycle shops also sell gel filled gloves. Make sure you buy quality equipment and keep it properly maintained. I have the same problem especially after a long day.

yardmonkey
01-11-2002, 11:54 AM
I have been dealing with hand problems since starting in the business almost 2 years ago. Its not something to ignore and its not something that will just go away. Please check out my website for more info:
http://www.ionet.net/~tslade/hands.htm

Definitely get some antivibe gloves. They will not give complete protection but will help. Always wear them when using weedeaters. You may want to switch to a 4-cycle weedeater for less vibration. Honda makes some. I got a Robin, as it is lighter than the Hondas. If you are spending 8 hours or more a day with your hands on mowers and weedeaters, you may need to find ways to reduce that time. Hire helpers or add other types of work such as gardening, landscaping, hauling, etc. Also, make sure you are not gripping the tools tightly.

The best thing I can recommend right away is get this book:
Conquering Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and Other Repetitive Strain Injuries by Sharon Butler. (Order it today!)

I don't recommend seeing a doctor, but if you do, don't let them talk you into surgery. Over 200.000 CTS release surgeries are performed in the US each year! This will start you down a path towards losing your hands. There are many things you can do to heal and strengthen yourself. It may not be quick or easy, but that's just how it is. If you want to see someome for help, I would suggest a bodyworker, such as a Rolfer or Hellerworker or any kind of massage therapist. Some are very good, others may not be helpful.

Please see my website for many suggestions on books and things to do. And please get Sharon Butler's book. It will explain things and give some exercise that may provide immediate relief.

Good luck,
Terry Slade

Atlantic Lawn
01-11-2002, 09:22 PM
Well Humeco and Chicks any diagnosis or changes ?

SOMM
06-05-2007, 11:40 PM
Hoo-yah Guardian - it mostly all goes away in a week with use. "Diabetes"is a flip'n losers'-excuse for continuing to use unbalanced, excessively vibrating equipment without its replacement or repair.

period.
paragraph.

accuratelawn
06-06-2007, 12:19 AM
Very old thread

Guardian
06-06-2007, 12:28 AM
yeh, very old thread-
I've been out of the lawn business for 2 years now!

oh, and my fingers are still white.....

hughmcjr
06-06-2007, 01:31 AM
It may not be carpel tunnel or any other major disease. It maybe simple nerve damage. I have it. There are two major nerves that run to your hands. Median and Ulnar. With carpel tunnel the median nerve gets strained and or cut off. I was told I had the opposite happening, a break down of tissue and loosening of my wrist area from over use. The Ulnar nerve is my issue. It runs down the arm from the shoulder and the same pain and numbness that can be felt with tennis elbow etc is what I experience. I tried therapy and was told to squeeze rubber balls etc., which for me made it worse. It seemed gripping anything like a sprayer and over use, particularly hedge trimming made it worse. I believe carpel tunnel and the median nerve exhibits signs by tingling in the index and middle fingers, while what I have with the Ulnar is numbness and tingling in the ring and pinky. I know a doctor customer of mine who had his Ulnar transposed from where it normally is on the inside of his arm to the top or forearm and had excellent results. The body is a machine and wears out. We are just so much more aware today of these issues at it seems generations past never mentioned much about these things they worked through it and suffered because they had to. :cry:

Below are a couple of links showing the nerves, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:CTSpic.JPG

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/db/Gray816.png

causalitist
06-06-2007, 03:55 AM
i really think that anybody can get tingling with a strong enough vibration.

im 25 for the record.

last year i used a kohler single piston just fine...
this year a kawi twin and i can get tingling if im mowing for a while holding the t-bar tight.

i get it from my motorcycle if im anywhere in the 6000 - 12,000 rpms range for more than ten minutes. throttle hand goes completely numb.

i dont know, but for some reason im thinking anyones hands will tingle if the vibration is of a high enough frequency(hence not from kohler single) and strong enough for a half hour or so.

i dont get it from trimmers or chansaws or anything else.. just gripping that tbar tight and my motorcycle.

Budget
06-06-2007, 07:36 AM
When i first started to use my WB. i had the same thing happen to me. I found that i was holding a death grip on it. I started to use a more relaxed grip and now no problem.

fishindude
06-07-2007, 05:36 AM
my tingles turned into carpal tunnel syndrome. Its really bad in my left hand from using the straight blade edgers. I have to call it quits. I love this business, but three different doctors said I should try something else for a while or surgery will be required and after ignoring their suggestions, I have to have surgery. They all recommended different types of exercises and braces, but I was hard headed and ignored them. Now I am doomed from this busness.

fishindude
06-07-2007, 05:42 AM
one more thing, at night, I have to wear braces on both wrists and hands or I can't sleep because of the pain. I loose circulation in both hands at night and wake up every hour because of problem. Please don't ignore your tingles. Ask for professional advice and don't ignore thier recommendtions. There are exercises and braces that can help keep the problem at bay.

johnnywill08
06-07-2007, 09:20 AM
that tingle tells you its working!!!!!

Envy Lawn Service
06-07-2007, 10:54 PM
Tingles are definately a VIBRATION issue.

Say what you want, but some people are just more sensitive to it that others.
That's all there is to it.

I remember back in the day when I thought those big lead monster trimmers were the greatest when I got my first one..... All except I would loose motor function after running one a while.... go to wipe the sweat off my brow or get something away from my eye.... but I just couldn't get my hand up there.

Do you all remember Green Machines?... LOL

Anyways, what would make your hands tingle would do that to me.
I still can't run a curved shaft trimmer to this day because of it.
Or anything else that has much of a vibration.

But none of my equipment I have now effects me.

flattoplawncare
06-10-2007, 12:19 PM
You might want to go get tested for carpal tunnel i am 26 and have carpal tunnel in both of my hands and need surgery but i cant take off 6 weeks of work.

adam's landscaping
06-10-2007, 02:05 PM
if youre exposed to vibrations for long periods of time then your blood begins to seperate, this causes your tissue to begin to deteriorate...hence the tingling sensation, it's kind of a "hey stop now" type of warning your body gives off... I would suggest getting equipment that has less vibration, limiting your exposure time, or at the least try buying some of the anti-vib. gloves!!!

people have lost fingers and hands to this

ke5hbd
06-10-2007, 02:23 PM
Sounds like the exact thing I have been dealing with for the last nine months.

Its more than likely to be Ulnar Nerve Intrapment.

My intrapment was in the elbow and I had Ulnar nerve realese done and fixed my problem with no more problems.

Go and have a nerve conductive study test done and the problem will bw found.