PDA

View Full Version : P/U truck vs other type vehicle

Bassman
01-17-2000, 06:02 PM
Possible to start lawn maint. business W/O P/U truck?<br>Seems like I remember some past posts that some men started out with vans, wagons, etc. I guess necessity is the mother of invention. I have a full size Chevy Blazer 4X4 with heavy duty towing pkg. and don't need the expense of a P/U starting out. Can I make do by using space in my trailer for dumping clippings, etc. for a season or two? Thanks.

Lazer
01-17-2000, 06:08 PM
Absolutely, you can use a Blazer.<p>Station Wagon? They're generally not as good for snowplowing. (Especially with the heavier plows.) :)<p>Get a trailer that matches your Blazer and go. If your market dictates you collect clippings, get a trailer big enough to accomodate. Otherwise, I would only collect in the spring & fall.<p>Have the gas cans stay on the trailer.<p><br>

HOMER
01-17-2000, 06:15 PM
I see people pulling trailers with all sorts of vehicles, some are Blazers. The thing to do is have your trailer rigged out with a tool box, trimmer rack and room for a gas can or 2. I haven't figured out a good way to hang my backpack blowers yet so they ride in the trailer with everything else.

Millertime34
01-17-2000, 06:48 PM
We use an 87 GMC suburban. I like it because I like to keep the trimmers and blowers in the back to keep them out of the weather overnight. Rain wrecks cables and other things on them. We don't have any trimmer or blower racks yet so the suburban also keeps them from banging around in the trailer over bumpy roads.The Blazer could work the same way.<p>----------<br>Bryan..Heartland Lawn Care<br>heartlandlawn@hotmail.com

VWBug61083
01-17-2000, 07:02 PM
Absolutely. I used to use a 1981 VW Rabbit for pulling my 5 X 10.

geogunn
01-18-2000, 03:16 AM
bassman--I used a full sized jimmy to start my buisness and it worked great. I kept the trimmers, hedgers, and blowers in the back where they stay nice and dry and safe. just screw the gas caps on nice and tight. Also, the blazer turns very short which a big advantage in backing the trailer in tight turns. I now use a E-150 van. it's like driving around in a big ole cave!<p>good luck<p>GEO

LAWNGODFATHER
02-09-2003, 02:55 AM
I've seen a NIssan sentra, Mini vans, vans, blazers, corvette, jeeps, etc... all you need to do it the get mower from point b to point d.

1grnlwn
02-09-2003, 03:06 AM
18' trailer S10 three mowers.

Farbio
02-09-2003, 04:32 AM
I can't see why it wouldn't work. It will get you started. I would get a decent looking truck as soon as you could afford it. I don't think vans, cars, etc. look very professional. One of the most important parts of growing your business is your image.