PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Homeowner question

DIY Bob
07-02-2008, 01:41 PM
Thanks in advance for your replies. I have a water feature that is part of my pool. It has a separate pump that takes water from the pool and sends it into two bio boxes and then back into the pool.

Are there any lighting fixtures that are not just underwater rated but SAFE for lighting the water feature? It would be great to install fixtures in the water feature, but I know that the fact that the water is part of the pool may make this not possible.

Any thoughts from you contractor experts out there?

All lighting would be powered by pool and spa safe transformers on a GFCI circuit.

NightScenes
07-02-2008, 02:14 PM
The ONLY lighting that you would be able to use in this instance would be fiber optics. This would mean that there would not be any electricity in the water.

Good luck,

JoeyD
07-02-2008, 02:29 PM
Post some pictures......you as a homeonwer have a little more freedom then the contractors......

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
07-02-2008, 10:00 PM
You are very limited in this application. Contractor or Homeowner doesnt really matter.... safe is safe and you should abide by all of the codes and laws regarding lighting in pools and spas. (That is lighting IN and not AROUND)

Paul's suggestion of Fibre Optics is probably your best route.

irrig8r
07-03-2008, 10:36 AM
I was doing some renovations a couple years ago at a home in Los Altos where they had a stream/ waterfall that flows into the pool, but isn't turned on often. There in the middle of the stream, tucked behind a boulder was a Nightscaping Flipper... the plastic lens had turned an opaque yellow, partly cracked and melted.

It was still connected. The hoeowner didn't even know it was there. I pulled it and opted for downlights from a nearby structure instead.

(This is what the Flipper is supposed to look like)

http://www.nightscaping.com/images/fixture_small/flipper_uw_0304.jpg

DIY Bob
07-03-2008, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I think downlights will be in order for this application.

JoeyD
07-03-2008, 11:59 AM
down lights are the way to go if you can do it!!!

poolboy
07-03-2008, 06:43 PM
Check out little giant lighting.

http://www.pondpals.com/pond_lighting/Little_giant.html

NightScenes
07-03-2008, 06:59 PM
Check out little giant lighting.

http://www.pondpals.com/pond_lighting/Little_giant.html

There is a BIG difference between submersible and POOL and SPA ratings. DO NOT USE submersible fixtures in a pool or spa that is for human use. I don't know of any low voltage fixture that is rated for pool and spa use. Does anyone else?????

poolboy
07-03-2008, 07:20 PM
There is a BIG difference between submersible and POOL and SPA ratings. DO NOT USE submersible fixtures in a pool or spa that is for human use. I don't know of any low voltage fixture that is rated for pool and spa use. Does anyone else?????

We've got several that utilize the Little Giant with pool/spa (water features). I'm not the builder, but we do service these lights. Fiber optics are the way to go.

JoeyD
07-07-2008, 12:25 PM

I KNOW OF NONE!

S&MLL
07-07-2008, 11:57 PM
Well Joey lets get on it. You guys could have the pool waterfall light market dominated

David Gretzmier
07-08-2008, 12:48 AM
can anyone tell me why my hot tub has a light at the bottom, and most pools have lights built into them, yet we have no lights that can be used here? Is it because those lights are "out of the water" ( no cables touch water ) and our lights are "in the water"? Is this a lightning/ power surge thing?

Chris J
07-08-2008, 09:54 AM
It's my understanding that the reason you can have these lights in the pool is because they are built in during construction with no way of "grabbing" onto them. They also have something called an anti-siphon device, which I can't explain.

The Lighting Geek
07-08-2008, 10:50 AM
can anyone tell me why my hot tub has a light at the bottom, and most pools have lights built into them, yet we have no lights that can be used here? Is it because those lights are "out of the water" ( no cables touch water ) and our lights are "in the water"? Is this a lightning/ power surge thing?

I believe it is because the one built into the pool is grounded.

Terradek
07-08-2008, 04:56 PM
I just found a fixture from HUNZA that is literally called the "Pool Lite". It is 12v mr16 and is recommended for Fiberglass, existing concrete and new concrete pools. It is IP68 rated and listed under UL 676 UL/CSA. Check it out at www.hunzausa.com

It does not specifically state that it is a grounded fixture or not...this is the type of question that we need to more fully understand so that we can know what is and is not allowed in our industry. We should hear soon about the NEC code committee nomination decision and maybe we can then start to get these urban myths clarified.

Best,
Gerry De La Vega

Chris J
07-08-2008, 05:28 PM
Have you ever seen the clip-on pool lights that you can purchase at the pool supply store. They are normally for above ground pools, and come with their own little transformer. I wonder how these people can get away with this? Then again, I guess it's not illegal to sell it; maybe it's just illegal to install it. :dizzy:

Terradek
07-08-2008, 05:52 PM
Chris,
It would seem that the DIY homeowner has more flexibility to install certain products then the professionals of this industry. I will be working to find a way to allow us to use all of the products and other tools available in the market so that we can provide the best, safest systems possible for the homeowner.

Best, Gerry.

NightScenes
07-09-2008, 11:57 AM
I just found a fixture from HUNZA that is literally called the "Pool Lite". It is 12v mr16 and is recommended for Fiberglass, existing concrete and new concrete pools. It is IP68 rated and listed under UL 676 UL/CSA. Check it out at www.hunzausa.com

It does not specifically state that it is a grounded fixture or not...this is the type of question that we need to more fully understand so that we can know what is and is not allowed in our industry. We should hear soon about the NEC code committee nomination decision and maybe we can then start to get these urban myths clarified.

Best,
Gerry De La Vega

This is GREAT Gerry!! I have been looking for a fixture that can be placed in the catch basin of a negative edge pool to light the fall. Please get me the pricing info for that fixture.