PDA

View Full Version : Handheld Voltage Drop Calculators?

irrig8r
07-02-2008, 02:24 PM
I know I can access voltage drop calculators on websites (like Vista's) or download the Unique Wiring Wizard, but I want something I can take to the field with me when measurements on paper are different than what I find on the ground, or plans change.

I'm basically looking for something I can use for those on-the-fly, work in progress design changes, where I know my distances and number of fixtures I want, but don't have Internet access or a laptop with me.

Basically I want a hand-held calculator into which I can change variables, like Watts, wire gauge or length of run to see which will work best for me. It could be standalone (my preference) or even a program I could run on a Palm device or smart phone.

If it would also allow me to enter my costs for various materials and help come up with and compare the results of different wiring methods it would be even better.

Calculated Industries makes the Electricalc. http://www.calculated.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=160

Many more functions than I would ever use, and nothing aimed at LV lighting as far as I can tell. I talked to someone in R and D there, and he didn't think there was a big enough market to make it worth their while.

JoeyD
07-02-2008, 02:28 PM
Gregg, I have slide rulers that you can have...I use my slide ruler EVERYDAY! it is very handy to have....let me know if you need one.

irrig8r
07-02-2008, 03:00 PM
Gregg, I have slide rulers that you can have...I use my slide ruler EVERYDAY! it is very handy to have....let me know if you need one.

Yes please. Two if you can. I think you still have my address.

As far as the costs go, I'm thinking maybe my son can help me write an Excel macro... and I think there's a version of Excel that goes on a handheld...

Here it is:
http://www.dataviz.com/solutions/enterprise/documentstogo/index.html?redirect=Blog_DXTG

JoeyD
07-02-2008, 03:12 PM
I will get you a few....I also have an excel based calculator that we use internally btu I am not sure I can share that just yet.....to many copy cats running around trying to capatilize off of our work!

NightScenes
07-02-2008, 04:22 PM
Those slide rules of Unique's are great. We use them all the time.

The Lighting Geek
07-02-2008, 08:20 PM
I just showed one of my guys how to use it, he was mad becuse he had been doing it the long way. I told him he needed to know how to figure it out first, then he would appreciate the Value of the slide rule. He thinks I'm mean...I just laughed at him...LOL!

Lite4
07-02-2008, 09:39 PM
Slide Rule?!? Are you pulling my leg?

Chris J
07-02-2008, 10:21 PM
No Tim, they aren't pulling your leg. They are actually pretty cool (and accurate for the most part).

JoeyD
07-03-2008, 10:29 AM
Everyone who wants one just shoot me a PM....include your shipping address for me...it will save me some time.....I am lazy, I am already in vacation mode and its only 6:30am!! Only 10 more hours to go!!!

Lambent Leaves
07-08-2008, 08:48 PM
I wrote a macro for excel that has a VD calculator, amp rating for the wire size used and amps used per watts... the basics. I run it on my smartphone and laptop.

The Unique sliderule is great, but is one more thing to carry around with you. With my calculator I have it everywhere I have my phone, which is everywhere I am.

PM me for a copy.

Note: I developed it while working for FX Luminaire, but copyrighted it myself, since they showed no real interest in marketing it.

JoeinJasper
07-08-2008, 09:39 PM
Lambert,
Your PM's have not been enabled. Please PM me, or E-mail me a copy at GaGardenSolutions@hotmail.com
Thanks, Joe

irrig8r
07-08-2008, 11:37 PM
I'm thinking maybe you have to have a certain number of posts before you can send and receive PMs. How about providing other current contact info in your profile?

Mike M
07-08-2008, 11:43 PM
I got the Unique slide rule and it's awesome. That thing is enabling me to eliminate as much #10 as possible and save $. I bring my measuring wheel and I remove all the over-conservative guess work.

JoeyD
07-09-2008, 11:24 AM
to all that have PM'd me I thank you...your slide rules are on the way or some of you may have recieved them already.

irrig8r
07-09-2008, 12:54 PM
I wrote a macro for excel that has a VD calculator, amp rating for the wire size used and amps used per watts... the basics. I run it on my smartphone and laptop.

The Unique sliderule is great, but is one more thing to carry around with you. With my calculator I have it everywhere I have my phone, which is everywhere I am.

PM me for a copy.

Note: I developed it while working for FX Luminaire, but copyrighted it myself, since they showed no real interest in marketing it.

Andy,
Coincidentally, Jeff C. just happened to send me a version yesterday and so I asked him about your post here and of course he gave you credit for writing it.

Did you get it onto your smartphone using Documents To Go? Is there some other program you can recommend for that? Or is there just a downsized version of Excel for phones nowadays?

Thanks !!!

irrig8r
07-10-2008, 03:38 PM
I installed the spreadsheet on my Palm Tungsten last night. Very simple: drag, drop, hotsync. Took less than a minute.

I'm thinking of firing up my old Palm III and SmartPad again just to use for this application and the drawings and job notes I can then save to my desktop.

Lite4
07-10-2008, 09:42 PM
to all that have PM'd me I thank you...your slide rules are on the way or some of you may have recieved them already.

Thanks Joey, I am looking forward to seeing it.

JoeyD
07-14-2008, 11:07 AM
If some of you do not recieve your Slide Rule this week make sure you let me know. The order may have been held up becuase we only have slide rules with certain distributors logos on them. I will push the order through to ship one with the logo on it anyway.

Lite4
07-14-2008, 11:53 AM
Joey,
Got the slide rule on friday. FANTASTIC!!! Thank you very much. Happy B-day by the way.

JoeyD
07-14-2008, 12:07 PM
Thanks Tim!

Chris J
07-14-2008, 02:36 PM
Got mine today. Thank you!

JoeyD
07-14-2008, 03:16 PM
you got it buddy!