PDA

View Full Version : first solo walkway

MAC LLC
07-02-2008, 08:46 PM
first time posting pics so hope it works...

this is my first solo walkway, i have worked for a landscape contractor for 4 years while in college, and I started my own business this spring. I do mostly mowing/ maintenance but built this for my parents house.

Being on my own I did not have bobcat, excavator, grading bucket, transit, or any other fun tools

I used Rinox Riberea Milton Grey, used 8in of 3/4 crushed base gravel, 1in concrete sand, and grey Techni Seal polymer sand. I still need to use a efflorescence cleaner on the pavers and install sod

please critique, i know there are a few things that could have been cut cleaner, but i think it came out good for my first solo job

MAC LLC
07-02-2008, 08:48 PM
more pics...

MAC LLC
07-02-2008, 08:58 PM
forgot to add that i plan on facing the sides of the steps with pavers and cutting 6 X 1 X 1in thick bluestone on tops of the steps.

also there is about 1/4 inch of pitch per 4 feet (empire string level & string angle finder)

Mike33
07-02-2008, 09:27 PM
Looks good to me
mike

shovelracer
07-02-2008, 09:37 PM
I like the block. Next time you should go wider with your base. Usually go outside the same distance as your depth. This will prevent movement when you drive over it every week with you ZTR.

neversatisfiedj
07-03-2008, 07:05 AM
Looks good. Next time get yourself some 2' grade stakes and string line holders from Pavetech. Better than the wooden stakes.

Merlin300
07-03-2008, 07:21 AM
Looks good. Next time get yourself some 2' grade stakes and string line holders from Pavetech. Better than the wooden stakes.

Grade stakes work much better. Even better idea would be, take some of that money you just made, and buy a transit.

Good work on the walk.

Lite4
07-03-2008, 09:34 AM
Good Job. Looks very nice. Your parents should be very pleased.

Guzman Properties
07-03-2008, 09:41 AM
Very nice job, looks great. Nice choice on the color.

MAC LLC
07-03-2008, 04:16 PM
thanks for the compliments, yea those "stakes" i used were a joke, home cheapo...

grading stakes are wood? or are they different. Im going to check out Pavetech. Mowing lawns today was depressing compaired to hardscaping...

amscapes03
07-03-2008, 08:40 PM
Is hardscape the direction you want to take your business?

PerfectEarth
07-03-2008, 08:43 PM
Very nice, looks good!!!

Strick
07-03-2008, 09:55 PM
Looks nice and clean!

zedosix
07-03-2008, 10:44 PM
Not bad for your first attempt. Need some work on getting your soldier lines smooth. It takes alot of practise but once you perfect that your well on your way. Your bluestone should not sit on top of the brick you may want to cut an inch or so off the soldier course at the step so that the bluestone sits in behind it.

MAC LLC
07-03-2008, 10:54 PM
amscapes03- i eventually want to get into hardscapes after established some more "upscale" maintenance customers, that way bidding is less of an issue because there are so many companies in my area who do pavers/ retaining walls

zedosix- thank you for the constructive criticism. does the cutting blade itself make a difference, i bought my blade for around 100, but seen them selling for upwards of 250 at a local masonry store. for the step the riser will be faced with pavers and the top (landing?) will be bluestone

i wanted to rip the whole prefab step out and build one with wall block but the customer (aka my dad) can be more than a pain in the ...

zedosix
07-04-2008, 12:20 PM
amscapes03- i eventually want to get into hardscapes after established some more "upscale" maintenance customers, that way bidding is less of an issue because there are so many companies in my area who do pavers/ retaining walls

zedosix- thank you for the constructive criticism. does the cutting blade itself make a difference, i bought my blade for around 100, but seen them selling for upwards of 250 at a local masonry store. for the step the riser will be faced with pavers and the top (landing?) will be bluestone

i wanted to rip the whole prefab step out and build one with wall block but the customer (aka my dad) can be more than a pain in the ...

Price is irrelevant to how your walkway flows, its all about marking out your soldier course before hand and making sure the lines are smooth. Did you say prefab step, if it is hollow I wouldn't cover it with anything. I would remove it first then construct a step.

Team-Green L&L
07-04-2008, 01:56 PM
It doesn't look like 4-6" of base, but pics can be deceiving. Are you sure you used the proper base with 98% compaction?

Other than that it looks good for a first job. Running bond can look a little plain though. Patterns aren't very difficult to get the hang of. Take risks for good patterns

4 seasons lawn&land
06-02-2009, 03:39 PM
If you ever want to sell your lawn care accounts PM me.

Dave.

mowerdude777
06-02-2009, 05:38 PM
looks like it is comming along nice

NewHorizon's Land
06-02-2009, 07:53 PM
I agree with the comments about the border. It should have a little more curves. That comes with experience. Make sure you allow at least 6" of extra base on each side so the sides dont "crumble " over time.

lawnandsnow
06-04-2009, 05:50 PM
Looks great. How long did that take?