PDA

View Full Version : water meter size

dwc
07-02-2008, 10:06 PM
I bought a new house last year and am getting ready to install a new system in my lawn. My town will install a 2nd meter for $300 that is a dedicated meter with no sewage charges.

My question is, what size meter would you have installed if you could choose. My lawn is around 6K feet. Our water pressure in my neighborhood isn't the best but adequate for a system. (all my neighbors have systems) I am thinking 3/4" then run 1" mainline but wanted to ask you guys that do this all day.

I am mostly mow and weed control but have worked on a few systems and would like to get more into irrigation and thought mine would be a good place for my first install.

Thanks!

Waterit
07-02-2008, 10:11 PM
We always want MORE water at HIGHER pressure, so go for a 1-inch if possible. You'll usually get almost 2x the flow, pressure should be the same.

And getting a 2nd (dedicated) meter shows you're already starting to think like an irrigator.

dwc
07-02-2008, 10:23 PM
I checked and under 1" is now $350 and 1" is $550. Is it worth the extra $200? I know my flow at my hose bib on the house is horrible. Some of that comes from going all thru the house piping plus water softner.

Toy2
07-02-2008, 10:36 PM
Pay for the bigger one, 1''........you won't regret it.

frumdig
07-02-2008, 10:52 PM
how effective is a 1" meter going to be over a 5/8"?? most properties are plumbed for 5/8's meters, so is a 1" meter going to be all that effective when the service line is plumbed with 3/4 copper or whatever smaller size it may be? i know you wont have as much pressure loss, but are you really going to get more flow??? typically they just T in right before your current meter, so the piping may limit you... obviously houses plumbed with a large enough service line, your going to get the flow, but that could mean the decission of paying the extra $$$

-Evan

Tom Tom
07-02-2008, 10:59 PM
I checked and under 1" is now $350 and 1" is $550. Is it worth the extra $200? I know my flow at my hose bib on the house is horrible. Some of that comes from going all thru the house piping plus water softner.

you ought to save $200 in system material cost going to the 1"

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-02-2008, 11:14 PM
1" at 550 is a steal. I paid 750 for a 1" at my house and would do it ten times again. I let the puny 5/8" take care of the house. The meter is like the guts of the system. You want big ones.

Wet_Boots
07-02-2008, 11:18 PM
What's the size and length of the waterline, if the meters are in a basement? Since a 3/4-inch meter has a 30+ gpm rating, you won't need to max it out to cover 6000 sq ft.

Waterit
07-03-2008, 12:48 AM
Once again, bigger is better:weightlifter:

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-03-2008, 07:08 AM
What's the size and length of the waterline, if the meters are in a basement? Since a 3/4-inch meter has a 30+ gpm rating, you won't need to max it out to cover 6000 sq ft.

If they have 1" lines boots for a 3/4" meter I'd upgrade to a 1" meter. 30gpm through a 3/4" meter is really pushing it. One advantage to a new meter is being able to observe the tap and feeder line. You can make sure the city doesn't kink it.

Wet_Boots
07-03-2008, 07:42 AM
For a new tap, you can spend the bucks. But some folks are actually considering one-inch meters in a basement fed by a 3/4-inch line, and that's where the pressure loss is. I'm not sure 6000 sq ft of lawn needs all that much flow.

mc1ark
07-03-2008, 11:09 AM
Well dont shoot me for getting back on the topic but....

I had a 1" meter installed in April. I called before X-mas and asked the price and it was $650 installed. Then then told me the price was going up after the 1st of the year. I figured no big deal its xmas time and I can use the extra money now and just pay the extra $100 or whatever the rate increases to.

Well I call in Feb and the price went up to $1,120! So I'm kicking myself for not ordering it before the end of the year and ended up paying $470 more than I would have!

I did this purely as a bottom line cost. Its $3.45/1,000gal here in Florence, SC. $1.90 sewer / $1.55 water. I water probably more than I should but have the nicest yard in the neighborhood:cool2:.

So with paying the $1.55/1,000gal for the water and after the monthly base fee my first bill only saved me $25. I dont know if it was worth the upfront cost but I think after about 4 years it will pay for itself.

Sorry for the long winded response but even if your tap went up to that much I would jump all over it. I've been a constant reader on this forum and yes i'm only a homeowner but I love all the info and tips I get on irrigation and mowers/lawncare on this forum. Thanks for reading!

HooKooDooKu
07-03-2008, 11:10 AM
Back to the question at hand...

Should you:
1. Install a 2nd meter <1"
2. Install a 2nd meter >=1"
3. Skip installing a 2nd meter all together?

Have you evaluated ALL of the costs and expected savings? Will the 2nd meter make financial sense?

When I began to consider a 2nd meter to avoid sewer fees, I estimated that it was going to take over 7 years to recoup the initial investment if I got a 2nd meter <1", and would cost MORE per year if I got a 2nd meter >=1".

See, our water board charges a monthly minimum. The minimum pays for the 1st ?,000 gallons of water per month whether you use them or not. The larger the meter, the larger the minimum.

So even though the initial investment was inline with numbers provided by the OP, when I compared cost of water I wouldn't be using vs the expected sewer savings, it made better sense to just stick with one meter.

Wet_Boots
07-03-2008, 12:12 PM
Strictly on sewerage charges, a second meter is a no-brainer. But for the OP, I don't see a definite need for a 1-inch meter. Not to water 6000 sq ft, which would take something under 4000 gallons a week. Even if a second meter is connected to the existing (I'll assume 3/4-inch copper) supply line, at some point near the curb, you aren't going to be suffering excess pressure losses at the kind of flows that 4000 gallons in a week would require.

Just the same, a new 1-inch tap and meter feeding a zone or two of all-brass mist heads on that lawn would probably look sweet. (triangular spacing, of course)

Waterit
07-03-2008, 05:27 PM
Another thing to consider: price of water, sewer, AND new meter will all be going up in the future as our water supplies dwindle.

Seems like a good investment.