PDA

View Full Version : Massive Fire

Lawn Enforcer
07-03-2008, 10:40 AM
The following pics were taken by me yesterday (July 2) in Green Isle, MN. Some of you Minnesota guys probably saw this on the news. Most of Shamrock Storage went up in flames yesterday at 10 am went workers using a cutting torch accidentally set fire to the building. The building was filled to the roof with tons of misc items such as video games, cardboard bundles, bumpers from Ford trucks, and just about anything imaginable. 22 fire departments responded and also water trucks from Chaska Public Works and Le Seuer Public Works. Cement trucks were also used to haul water from as far as twenty miles away because Green Isle's water tower was drained within 1.5 hours after the department responded. I am posting this at 9 am the day after, and it is still burning, but it was for the most part contained by 7 pm but it was impossible to put out all the flames because of toxic fumes in the building which didn't allow firefighters to enter the building.

Lawn Enforcer
07-03-2008, 10:41 AM
A shot from behind the building. Aerial trucks were also brought in.

Lawn Enforcer
07-03-2008, 10:43 AM
A shot of the side of the building that caught fire first and seemed to be the most intense area of the fire at the time.

Lawn Enforcer
07-03-2008, 10:45 AM
A shot from the other side of town, it covered the entire town with thick black smoke.

Lawn Enforcer
07-03-2008, 10:46 AM
This one is from about 3 miles away

Lawn Enforcer
07-03-2008, 10:50 AM
I think the aerial truck from Waconia can be seen here. Water was hauled in from as far as 20 miles away. I also learned that this is the 6th fire in the 50+ years of the building's history. 8:45 am, a water truck just went out of my town (7 miles down the road) to Green Isle. That's 22 hours after the fire started, and it's still going.

jds720
07-03-2008, 10:52 AM
nice! wish we got fire like that down here! im a FF, not just sick and twisted

Lawn Enforcer
07-03-2008, 10:55 AM
22 departments, the Arlington F.D. (my town) took over at about 2 am and Green Isle F.D. got some rest and they were back by 6 am. Another water truck just went out-2 water trucks within 15 minutes of each other.

Supper Grassy
07-03-2008, 10:55 AM
That is amazing, thats a good use of other sources using cement trucks to being in water

KrayzKajun
07-03-2008, 12:25 PM
nice! wish we got fire like that down here! im a FF, not just sick and twisted

i was thinking the same thng!!
Fulltime FF here!

Guzman Properties
07-03-2008, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the pics, good luck to those FF!!!

Lawn Enforcer
07-03-2008, 02:05 PM
They've been working like crazy. Noon here, and they are still hauling water 26 hours after it started. They are only using 10 water trucks now compared to 35 yesterday including the departments and public works trucks and cement trucks.

kreft
07-03-2008, 02:16 PM
Sounds like it was a pawn shop to me, video games, ford bumpers,.... etc. still no matter what it is its still sad to see realestate to go up in smoke..

Lawn Enforcer
07-03-2008, 02:23 PM
Sounds like it was a pawn shop to me, video games, ford bumpers,.... etc. still no matter what it is its still sad to see realestate to go up in smoke..

Not a pawn shop, more like an indoor junkyard. It was a manufacturing plant for Farm Hand (if any of you older guys remember Farm Hand) and it was never cleaned out after they closed, and I'm sure there was welding grease and other flammable stuff everywhere.

Lawn Enforcer
07-03-2008, 06:10 PM
4 pm, still burning, not much anymore though

kreft
07-03-2008, 08:17 PM
What is Farm Hand?

DBL
07-03-2008, 08:20 PM
they are still hauling water 26 hours after it started.

thats a big fire

Lawn Enforcer
07-04-2008, 12:45 AM
Farm Hand was (it might be around, I'm not sure) an implement company, my dad worked in this building in the early '80's. It was massive, it's still smoldering as I drove by at 9:30 pm.

KCfireman
07-04-2008, 12:48 AM
Fire!!!!!!!Yea!!!!!! Looks like you guys had to to do a water shuttle. Those are a pain in the ass. But that looks to be maybe a 4 or 5 alarm fire depending on the size and the # of trucks in the pic.

KCfireman
07-04-2008, 12:51 AM
IMO i dont think the incident commander in the fire would even allow FF to enter the building. That fire of that size probably made the structure very unstable. It would be a Charelston accident happening all over again. Let us not Forget those brave 9 souls.:usflag:

Lawn Enforcer
07-04-2008, 12:56 AM
IMO i dont think the incident commander in the fire would even allow FF to enter the building. That fire of that size probably made the structure very unstable. It would be a Charelston accident happening all over again. Let us not Forget those brave 9 souls.:usflag:

That's why it took so long to contain, the building was too unstable and the fumes were toxic which kept all FFs on the outside just hosing it down and keeping it contained.

KCfireman
07-04-2008, 12:58 AM
That's why it took so long to contain, the building was too unstable and the fumes were toxic which kept all FFs on the outside just hosing it down and keeping it contained.thats what i thought. You did a pretty good job on breaking down the incident. Have you ever considered a career in the fire service. I love it because it still allows me to mow lawns as a side job.

Lawn Enforcer
07-04-2008, 01:01 AM
Yeah, I plan on joining the Arlington Volunteer F.D. next year when I turn 18. They are always looking for people, and I figure I'm going to be around town with the biz and I'm taking online classes, so what better way to serve the community. Plus, it's awesome to walk where the devil dances!

KCfireman
07-04-2008, 01:04 AM
Yeah, I plan on joining the Arlington Volunteer F.D. next year when I turn 18. They are always looking for people, and I figure I'm going to be around town with the biz and I'm taking online classes, so what better way to serve the community. Plus, it's awesome to walk where the devil dances!exactly. Just wait till you get your first one. Around here we call it "The Beast" but everyone has their own saying for it. Thats great that you are joining. Online classes???? Are these classes like comp1 or math or are they online fire classes????:confused:

Lawn Enforcer
07-04-2008, 01:09 AM
exactly. Just wait till you get your first one. Around here we call it "The Beast" but everyone has their own saying for it. Thats great that you are joining. Online classes???? Are these classes like comp1 or math or are they online fire classes????:confused:

Online business classes for the lawn care side of things. What kind of "benefits" do you get from being a Volunteer FF?

KCfireman
07-04-2008, 01:17 AM
Online business classes for the lawn care side of things. What kind of "benefits" do you get from being a Volunteer FF?
absolutely nothing. Some Vol. Dept. pay their guys by the call. So you get and "x" amount of money for every call you respond to. It will be hard for you to turnout at the station if you are in school. But that's whats great about this profession. I'm looking to career in about 1 year. That's when the benefits kick in. But just because there are none for being a Volly that doesn't mean don't join. I would join. Its a great experience. A lot of dept. have "Open Houses" Where they pull all the trucks out of the station and open it up to the public. Its a great opportunity to get involved and to protect the citizens of your town.:usflag:

Lawn Enforcer
07-04-2008, 02:13 AM
Well I would join regardless, I just heard that you get some sort of pension or something, but that doesn't matter, I was just wondering what was there for me. There's a lot of cool guys at our station and many whom I know personally, so I think it would be great.
OFFICIAL CAUSE OF FIRE: a propane torch tank blew up, the 3 workers who were inside got out immediately.

KCfireman
07-04-2008, 03:15 AM
Well I would join regardless, I just heard that you get some sort of pension or something, but that doesn't matter, I was just wondering what was there for me. There's a lot of cool guys at our station and many whom I know personally, so I think it would be great.
OFFICIAL CAUSE OF FIRE: a propane torch tank blew up, the 3 workers who were inside got out immediately.thats good to hear. Is your towns dept. Career/Volly or Staight up Career or straight up Volly?

Lawn Enforcer
07-04-2008, 11:29 AM
thats good to hear. Is your towns dept. Career/Volly or Staight up Career or straight up Volly?

straight up Volly

Itsgottobegreen
07-04-2008, 02:57 PM
That is amazing, thats a good use of other sources using cement trucks to being in water

We have been doing that for years. A cement truck can hold about 1500 gallons of water. Every year all the departments around here get together and have a massive water hauling drill. About 15 tankers, 15 engines, two private 6000 gallon pool water haulers, and a couple of cement mixers. Just to show everyone what you can do. ISO states you have to be able to maintain a 250gpm flow for 2 hours with a tanker taskforce. When we used to live in bartlett, IL we had a 7000 gallon tractor trailer tanker. With the theory, if you couldn't put it out with that, you weren't going to save it anyways.

Lawn Enforcer
07-04-2008, 03:35 PM
We have been doing that for years. A cement truck can hold about 1500 gallons of water. Every year all the departments around here get together and have a massive water hauling drill. About 15 tankers, 15 engines, two private 6000 gallon pool water haulers, and a couple of cement mixers. Just to show everyone what you can do. ISO states you have to be able to maintain a 250gpm flow for 2 hours with a tanker taskforce. When we used to live in bartlett, IL we had a 7000 gallon tractor trailer tanker. With the theory, if you couldn't put it out with that, you weren't going to save it anyways.

Honestly, they had tankers from 2,000 gallons all the way up to 7,000 gallons, and they were making water runs for 24 hours.

Green Team Landscaping
07-06-2008, 03:17 PM
oh i love big fires like that. we had one at a pizza place and they had to call in like 5 different towns it was so bad. haha i guess you could say that it turned the whole thing into a brick oven pizza.

Lawn Enforcer
07-09-2008, 03:05 PM
So, an update on the final totals-
On the 1st day of the fire, 1.3 million gallons of water were used
2nd day after fire rekindled, an additional 300,000 gallons of water used
TOTAL: 1.6 million gallons of water and it was still smoldering 3 days later
100 firefighters from 22 departments battled the blaze

LawnGuy73
07-09-2008, 11:46 PM
They could have called Shakopee for our tankers.... But we got to do station stand by for Chaska Fire.

Lawn Enforcer
07-10-2008, 05:18 PM
They could have called Shakopee for our tankers.... But we got to do station stand by for Chaska Fire.

I thought that Shakopee was going to be called, but the farthest away was Excelsior.

farmboy1285
07-11-2008, 03:46 AM
Farm Hand was (it might be around, I'm not sure) an implement company, my dad worked in this building in the early '80's. It was massive, it's still smoldering as I drove by at 9:30 pm.

Im assuming thats farm hand tractor loaders to?? We have a farmhand loader on our farmall 450, I tell you what, there isnt one thing, I can't lift, push, or rip out of the ground with that.:weightlifter::weightlifter:

Lawn Enforcer
07-11-2008, 10:35 AM
Im assuming thats farm hand tractor loaders to?? We have a farmhand loader on our farmall 450, I tell you what, there isnt one thing, I can't lift, push, or rip out of the ground with that.:weightlifter::weightlifter:

Yep, my Dad said they manufactured loaders under the Farm Hand name and for John Deere and some other companies. My Dad worked there for 4 years assembling loaders and testing hydraulic cylinders until he kept being laid-off, so he got a different job.

Lawn Enforcer
07-11-2008, 10:36 AM
An another thing, the insurance company is making them rebuild the
98,000 sq ft warehouse just for storage.

farmboy1285
07-11-2008, 01:06 PM
Yep, my Dad said they manufactured loaders under the Farm Hand name and for John Deere and some other companies. My Dad worked there for 4 years assembling loaders and testing hydraulic cylinders until he kept being laid-off, so he got a different job.

We bought our loader used, and had to "import" our loader from Neberaska. We couldnt find anything like it in Kansas, but they are everywhere in Neberaska.

kyfireman2004
07-11-2008, 10:04 PM
Could you image the overhaul process for that fire? I sure am glad not be there for that!

dura to the max
07-12-2008, 04:02 PM
Could you image the overhaul process for that fire? I sure am glad not be there for that!

i think it mioght be worth it for that big of a fire!

and at our dept volunteers get pension.

zimmatic
11-06-2008, 09:54 AM
I talked to the guys at the local welding shop in green Isle they said a couple fire trucks had their water pumps absolutly destroyed because once the cement trucks starting hauling water there was "fibermesh" on the walls of the cement trucks, and it ate the pumps. They said chaska's aerial truck's water pump was/is toast. 100k worth of damage.

DUSTYCEDAR
11-06-2008, 10:09 AM
I was thinking that myself
grit and pumps dont go well

Lawn Enforcer
11-06-2008, 07:19 PM
I talked to the guys at the local welding shop in green Isle they said a couple fire trucks had their water pumps absolutly destroyed because once the cement trucks starting hauling water there was "fibermesh" on the walls of the cement trucks, and it ate the pumps. They said chaska's aerial truck's water pump was/is toast. 100k worth of damage.

Wow, that sounds like a bad deal. Where are you from?