what to charge?
thank you
mo

cleancutccl
07-03-2008, 07:51 PM
I think you need a bigger excavator.

amscapes03
07-03-2008, 08:34 PM
What do you typically charge to excavate? Machine time per hour? Operator time per hour? The small dw should be able to handle a 5' hole. Whats the reach on the backhoe attachment? If your sure the machine can handle the job, figure hour many hours it'll take you. It's only around 20 yards of material being removed. Just have a clause in your contract for hitting ledge, irrigation, etc.

amscapes03
07-03-2008, 08:36 PM
lol.....just noticed your in Florida. Probably not much chance of hitting ledge.

Summit L & D
07-05-2008, 10:27 AM
Moving 20+ yds of material with the backhoe attachment is going to take a good chunk of time (unless it's basically sand and you can use a much larger bucket). The trenching shouldn't really be that big of an issue.

I would figure 1-2 days for the main hole, 1 day for the trenching and 1 day for backfill, cleanup and hauling.
It's really not that complicated of a project. You've done other work with your Ditch Witch, so you know how much you need to charge per hour to make money. I'm basing my days on a 8-9 hour day. Unless you have a dump trailer that can haul 7-10 yards of spoils, I would plan on having some dump truck fees plus the additional cost associated with renting a larger machine to load the truck.