PDA

View Full Version : New Landscaper in ct

Rich's landscaping
07-03-2008, 07:52 PM
Hey guys ive been reading this forum for the last few weeks and its been a great help.
My question is to everyone in CT what is the going rate to mow lawns? I have read on here that its a dollar a minute and up. Does 45$ hour sound like to much or to little i dont know.
I have a friend that charges 60.00 an hour so im thinking my 45$ is really low.

A-Land
07-03-2008, 08:42 PM
What are you going to be using for equipment? Insurance, taxes, etc? It all costs money.... That's why he charges what he does. Fill us in and we can give you a better idea.

Obviously a solo operator with commercial equipment, full size truck, trailer, insurance, etc can get $60 an hour - but don't expect $60 an hour running a 21" out of the back of your pickup truck.

Rich's landscaping
07-03-2008, 09:10 PM
Right now im using my Pathfinder to pull a 5x8 with a John Deere G15. I also have a Echo backpack and a weedwacker. As far as insurance goes im paying 575.00 year for 300,000 worth of coverage which to me is good to start.
Your right my freind has mainly commerical accounts.
Thanks for the feedback!!!

A-Land
07-03-2008, 09:17 PM
Your next purchase should be a truck. It doesn't have to be a new $40k truck, just a truck. How much experience do you have? Start at $40-50 an hour and as you get better and more experienced, add equipment, etc... charge more.

A-Land
07-03-2008, 09:18 PM
I was down in Bristol RI last month checking out Roger Williams University. How's the city? The college was really nice..... although I'm sure the kids cause a ruckus in the city from time to time.

Rich's landscaping
07-03-2008, 09:22 PM
Im in Bristol CT... But thanks for your info this site has really been helpful.

A-Land
07-03-2008, 09:40 PM
Haha ooops for some reason I thought I read RI........ nevermind!! No problem.

bakerc8
07-04-2008, 11:38 PM
i live in milford work mostly in westport and fairefild county for bricman and my self on the side 30 for a 1/4 acure

Patriot Services
07-05-2008, 11:15 AM
Are you quoting jobs by the hour or just using the figure to track your own costs?:usflag::usflag::usflag:

CTmower
07-05-2008, 12:45 PM
In the northern CT area my prices vary but ive been averaging about $75-100 a hour.. I've hit up a couple upper class neighborhoods that has really paid off. Started cutting two houses on the same street and the next thing you know four other neighbors asked me to cut theres too. So on that day i average about $125 a hour just because i have no travel and i cut them all at once :)... But overall i'd say $75 a hour in CT should be very easily obtainable

TPendagast
07-05-2008, 02:20 PM
a Few years back, I owned the largest lawn cutting business in CT. (most acres mowed in one week meaning largest)

Lots of high end resi, lots of Dept of Ed, DPW, and commerical work too.

We averaged $85 per hour for lawn cutting (thats what we averaged not what we charged) The basis for the pricing was $60 per hour, but with buying the right equipment, tightening up the routes, working 4 each 10 hour days instead of 5 each 8 hour days, we were able to pull alot of efficency and like i said our average was $85 an hour for every hour worked and every guy. (alot of guys out there think $35 per hour with wo guys is $70 per hour, its not)

with the equipment you have you should be about $45

A-Land
07-05-2008, 06:03 PM
Wow what kind of work are you doing for $75-100 an hour? Solo or with employees?

How do you like the 61' Ferris?

CTmower
07-06-2008, 01:26 PM
What kind of work am i doing??? Im mowing, weedwacking, blowing off and occasionally edging....I can pretty much look at any lawn now and guess within about 5 minutes how long it will take me. I set my prices at a decent rate and ive stuck with them no matter what. Ive definitely lost a couple customers i could of had if i lowered my prices but right now im pretty steady at $75.
My 61" Ferris is a beast.. Hasnt let me down yet (knock on wood). I mow some pretty crazy hills with it and it grabs on like no other mower.. Leaves perfect stripes too :)

A-Land
07-06-2008, 02:00 PM
You should post some pics of the cut.... I'm interested to take a look

phlandscaping
07-06-2008, 02:08 PM
I would have to agree around $45 an hr with the equipment, the one thing in this business is you don't want to lowball. If somebody is happy with their current contractor then let them stay with them! You don't want to cut yourself short and what goes around comes around... But this is a great place to do your homework for this type of business!