PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Spraying Business

jegm
07-03-2008, 08:18 PM
I am a Golf Course Superintendent in FL. Considering a business in lawn spraying. Already working on obtaining the appropriate license. Just wondering if this is a good idea for a business in FL or do the large companies control this market already? Any advice/thoughts would be much appreciated.

mowerbrad
07-03-2008, 08:26 PM
It never hurts to try something. Since you are down in florida you will be doing year round services which can really help. Start small with just a backpack sprayer and good spreader. If you are doing well and can grow as a business more then you should start looking at purchasing the 200gal tank sprayers and the ride-on type spreaders. Good luck to you!

cpel2004
07-03-2008, 09:39 PM
I am a Golf Course Superintendent in FL. Considering a business in lawn spraying. Already working on obtaining the appropriate license. Just wondering if this is a good idea for a business in FL or do the large companies control this market already? Any advice/thoughts would be much appreciated.

Im curious to find out how are you working on obtaining a license, what does that mean?

Raider
07-03-2008, 10:47 PM
Im curious to find out how are you working on obtaining a license, what does that mean?

I would assume that means he is getting info together, studying for test, doing the paperwork. Either that or paying off the right people at the state licencing board.

cpel2004
07-04-2008, 12:16 AM
The reason why ask, Florida has some of the strictest laws in regards to a Pest Control Licensing.

Raider
07-04-2008, 09:34 AM
In Florida, does everyone that applies pesticides have to be licensed, or just one person supervising them? Just from reading on here there must be thousands and thousands of people that do lawn apps in Florida. Are there "low ballers" in this area of lawn care as well in florida? Just curious about these things. Here in Iowa things are a little slower and not as many lco's, but I have noticed more this year than ever.

jegm
07-04-2008, 11:29 AM
In the golf course industry we are required to have a commercial applicators license to apply restricted use pesticides. Fortunately, the number of restricted use pesticides used on golf courses has diminished greatly over the last few years. The Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services is the agency in charge of this license. The way I understand the landscape industry in FL is anything treated within 10' of a building requires a different license than my commercial applicator license. The license I am studying for is in the field of pest control in this state. You must have three years experience in the green industry or minimum level education in the green industry. I am not sure if this license is required for all applications or just applications of restricted use pesticides. To be successful in caring for St. Augustinegrass you would need to be able to control chinch bugs. Not many options left that aren't restricted use.

greendoctor
07-04-2008, 01:36 PM
In all states, once you are applying to a property not owned by yourself for hire, you are a commercial applicator. Therefore you need the license. No distinction is made between RUP and general use pesticides in that regard. Last time I checked, nothing labeled for chinch bug on residential turf is an RUP, but you had better be licensed if it is not your own lawn.

cpel2004
07-04-2008, 04:21 PM
JegM check your information because under the current rules you wouldnt qualfy to apply pesticides to residential or commercial properties. Our Licensing board has really tried to screw new applicators. Check it out man. Im going through a similar issue.