PDA

View Full Version : Curved Hollandstone Border

JimmyStew
07-03-2008, 09:33 PM
I'm going to be putting in a walkway in a few weeks with hollandstone pavers, probably herringbone pattern with a soldier course for a border. The design calls for a straight walk from the driveway, then a quick 90 turn toward the front door. I'm stuck trying to figure out how to cut the sharp border turn without the pavers looking funny. I've done this many times with traditional clay brick and it looks awesome, but with the hollandstone, any cuts will remove the beveled sides of the paver. Has anyone else ever encountered this problem? How did yo deal with it? I thought about grinding a bevel with the angle grinder, but I'm pretty sure that ground down area will have a very different look than the normal edges and will probably look funny.

instyle
07-03-2008, 10:24 PM
when we cut a 'tumbled' paver, we always take another brick and bang the edges to get the cut edge to look 'tumbled' again.

JimmyStew
07-04-2008, 08:41 AM
These aren't "tumbled" stones, they literally have a beveled edge that is part of the mold when the concrete is poured.

sven1277
07-04-2008, 08:43 AM
We rub the edges of the bricks together after splitting or saw cutting

richallseasons
07-04-2008, 02:36 PM
you can also put a diamond grinding disk on a right angle grinder and re bevel the cut side fairly quickely.

JimmyStew
07-04-2008, 06:34 PM
you can also put a diamond grinding disk on a right angle grinder and re bevel the cut side fairly quickely.

This is what I was thinking, but it seems like the cut side of a paver (or grinded side) never has the same look as the "factory finish". Anybody have any pics where they've done this before?

ChampionLS
07-05-2008, 02:42 PM
It's easy. Set up your saw with a guide that will allow you to make the same angle cuts. Take off a small slice, on the SAME SIDE of each paver. You can quickly graze the cut edge along the blade- *being careful* and you'll create your chamfered edge. Don't worry if it does not look like you did it with a router- the joint will be sand filled and that's what your eye will see. It's important to use math, and get all your radius cuts smooth and of the same angle. Don't try to get the soldier course pointing the other direction too quickly. I would say a 20" radius on the inside, and outside of your pathway (soldier course) will allow for a 90 degree turn (field) that looks nice and smooth.