PDA

View Full Version : Extendable Hedge Trimmers

LAWNS AND MOWER
01-10-2002, 05:10 PM
I've done a search on this without much success. I'm thinking about purchasing some extendable hedge trimmers and would like some input. I've looked at the Stihl with the adjustable blade. It would be nice to angle the teeth. I would only use them about 5 times a year and I'm getting tired of borrowing them from one of my lawn care buddies. Any suggestions???

LAWNS AND MOWER

johnnywalker
01-10-2002, 05:32 PM
If you're talking about the long shaft articulating hedge trimmers the Sthil HL75K is a good unit. Longer shaft & longer blade than Echo's best.

LAWNGODFATHER
01-10-2002, 05:52 PM
I have the Stihl

$500

Turfdude
01-10-2002, 05:56 PM
Redmax makes a good one too. you can purchase the whole unit, or just the end for the string trimmer. The teeth are spaced similar to their hedge shears, so they do a better job than some other brands.

Bob

bullfrog
01-10-2002, 06:07 PM
One thing you may want to consider since you don't use the hedge trimmer a lot is to buy, for example, a stihl FC 85 edger (they don't sell a staight shaft edger attachment) for $330, and the HL 0-90 hedge trimmer attachment for $200.

Now ,for $30 more you have the exact same tool as the HL75, and have an edger attachment to boot. Not a bad deal.

And, unlike a string trimmer, one typically doesn't need a dedicated edger, or dedicated long hedge trimmer.

If you already have an edger, you could do the same with an backup string trimmer (FS85)/HL 0-90 hedge trimmer attachment for about the same cash.

Something to look into at least.

bullfrog
01-10-2002, 06:11 PM
PS:

I have the 0-90, it is sweet for high up use, or used to trim ground hugging evergreen hedges.

You can set it to 0 or 30 degrees, so don't waste your $$$ on those devices.

Nathan
01-10-2002, 06:28 PM
If you use it that infrequently, just rent one.

Guardian
01-10-2002, 07:53 PM
I agree with Bullfrog except the part about not needing a dedicated edger. I have the Stihl FS85T that comes with the edger. I also bought the stringtrimmer and the 0-90 deg. hedger attachment. I use it mostly as a hedger and a back up for everything else. It can be broken down and stored behind your seat if you wish.

My only complaint is how uncomfortable it is as a hedger. The weight isn't balanced and is just plain too heavy. Try holding that thing up or over your head for a while and you'll be CRYING! (Arms O' jello)

It is extremely dependable and I feel good having it my back-up to my handhelds.

The dedicated Stihl Ext. hedger (HL75) is balanced better. I would also think that the ECHO would be nice (I like the one that is only extended an extra foot or so)

Mowingman
01-10-2002, 08:13 PM
I have a Stihl HL75K and I really like it. Previously, I used to borrow a friend's Echo. I like the Stihl better. The Stihl seems more powerful and better balanced to me.:)

LAWNGODFATHER
01-10-2002, 10:16 PM
Stihl FS85

I have a weed eater head, a hedge trimmer head, and a 12" bar chain saw.

$680 for all.

$500 for the hedge trimmer and weed eater.

I love the 13' I can reach with the chain saw.

gogetter
01-11-2002, 12:25 AM
Try "Extended hedge trimmer" instead of "extendable hedge trimmer". You'll get alot more return on the search.

65hoss
01-11-2002, 01:08 AM
I run the FS85 trimmers. I have the hedge trimmer attachment for them. One of the best purchases I've made. Don't waste your money on a separate piece of equipment. Get the attachment.

LAWNS AND MOWER
01-11-2002, 12:12 PM
Gogetter- Thanks for the search tip. Helped a bunch.

As for renting, I think I would be better off buying since I will be more incline to take on more jobs if I purchase these trimmers. Also, I sub out a large trimming job each year that requires extended trimmers so now I'll do it. What I learned on the search is that these trimmers can be used on smaller shrubs also so I wouldn't have to buy those Weedeater trimmers anymore. It seemed like I was buying one of these throughaways every year. Plus I won't be falling off the ladder into hemlocks anymore while stretching with my throughaway trimmers.

Thanks!!! LAWNS AND MORE

RB
01-11-2002, 05:39 PM
I've used Echo long handled articulating trimmers for about 5 years. When I had some equipment stolen I had to borrow a friends's Stihl's long handled trimmers -- what a difference.

Echo is by far the best trimmer on the market. Whoever said the echo is not as powerful as the stihl the echo is not adjusted correctly.

The echo trimmer is much lighter and you can adjust the trimmer w/one hand w/o putting it down. Handy when you on the top rung of a 12 foot ladder. I also think the echo uses a different type of metal for they blades because they stay sharper longer and give a better cut. The one advantage to the stihl is that it is abaout 8 inches longer.

If you thinking about a long handled trimmer get the echo - you won't regret it.

Ron

johnnywalker
01-11-2002, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by 65hoss
Don't waste your money on a separate piece of equipment. Get the attachment.

From what I understand the Sthil articulating long shaft attachment has a shorter shaft & blade length than the HL75K. The extra reach is useful.

bullfrog
01-11-2002, 07:40 PM
The HL75K has a shaft length of 1070mm (42") whereas the HL75 has a shaft length of 1500mm (59").

All extentended length hedge trimmers have the same cutting blade length (22") as the attachments.

LAWNGODFATHER
01-11-2002, 07:41 PM
Rent!!! Are you kidding.

Why rent a $500 tax deductable peice of equipment?

4 jobs in 1 year and you paid for it, by the time you drive to the rental place, (if they even have one) do the job and take it back.

Then you will have it anytime you may need it, and also found that it is exalent for trimming shrubs a little taller than me.

Chain saw: best part of it, 13' of reach (including you), how many time have you got on a ladder to trim that 10'+ high branch.

Green Care
01-11-2002, 09:53 PM
This what I use echo trimmer/pruner + marayuma ext trimmer

Green Care
01-11-2002, 10:08 PM
1 More

bob
01-12-2002, 12:18 AM
Lawnzzz, If I brought any of my lawn equipment into the house and put it on the carpet, .........well lets just say I'd be sleeping with one eye open for a while!