PDA

View Full Version : Topdressing w/Mushroom Manure

jkelton
01-10-2002, 06:40 PM
Has anybody used mushroom manure for topdressing a lawn? I have a potential client who asked to have their lawn topdressed w/mushroom manure, but they did not know how thick they wanted it. I do not have any experience with this material - I know that most people topdress at approx. 1/2", but this is generally a mixture of several components (bark, compost, sand, etc.). Any information anyone could provide on this subject would be helpful.

Guardian
01-10-2002, 08:02 PM
I have always been told to only use white sand when top dressing - and not to do it until the grass is about 60% recovered from winter - Spread it lightly

wouldn't do it any other way-

stslawncare
01-10-2002, 09:53 PM
mushroom manure itself is very strong, mushroom compost however is a great product for topdressing with, i have done it numerious times and sell the product also. this is the product i used this past year for landscaping this one house in particular, worked there pretty much all season weekly doing various jobs. the ladie just never stopped commenting on how good the dirt is, i did some topdressing/seeding there also and she was shocked at how good the growth was. i highly reccamend it and for some more detailed info including lab tests etc visit my website.

jkelton
01-10-2002, 11:25 PM
Thanks for the info. What exactly is the difference between mushroom manure and mushroom compost?

stslawncare
01-10-2002, 11:38 PM
mushroom manure is the stuff left over after the mushrooms are harvested from the mushroom houses, mushroom compost is the mushroom manure after it sits a while and composts and is added with other ingredients. be sure to check the info on my site, its on my signature.

Planter
01-11-2002, 12:19 AM
Seems I remember from a class I had that the mushroom manure was high in salts and therefore could be detrimental. I'd have the EC checked in a soil check before I put any down.

Kevin