PDA

View Full Version : Little Pondless- My First

sheltervalley
07-04-2008, 11:41 AM
The wedge retaining wall was in place so i just added more to raise it up and made a few cuts to keep the liner hidden. I used some Frontenac stone to blend it in to the old garden landscape. The cored rock in the top pond isn't staying. The home owner wants a taller one so once he gets that I'll put it in place and use a T and a valve to control that flow to just a trickle.

wurkn with amish
07-04-2008, 01:47 PM
Why's there so much water on the bottom right? Cleaning or a leak?

sheltervalley
07-05-2008, 03:13 PM
That's just water from spraying everything off. I wouldn't be posting pictures of a leaky waterfall.

JimLewis
07-17-2008, 05:05 AM
Hmmmm... I'll be honest. It's a little odd.

First, I would never use Segmental Retaining Wall (SRW) blocks in or around a water feature. It just doesn't look natural.

Second, if I were going to try to create a more "formal" water feature with SRW blocks, I'd use them throughout. The thing that makes this look even more odd is that half of the water feature is formal (with SRW Blocks) and then it fades into a really natural rock setting. One way or the other, but not both.

Third, there really isn't much of a waterfall. There is that one sheet that falls off the upper area and then just kind of lands behind a big boulder and disappears. It would have been nice if there were more shelves to the water feature and the water actually traveled a little further down the water feature.

Which brings up my fourth point; the remainder of the rock below where the water disappears is kind of pointless. It doesn't make sense to me. It leaves me thinking, "Why all that extra rock in front when there's nothing happening in that area?" Kind of like a water feature turned dry-streambed halfway through.

My final complaint is there aren't any plants incorporated into and around the water feature. A few ornamental grasses, daylillies, azaleas, dwarf pines, and a japanese maple hanging over part of that water feature would have made it look twice as nice.

Despite all this, I bet a lot of homeowners would think this is pretty cool. And I guess that's what matters. But if they could see this water feature right up next to the same water feature but with all natural rock, longer waterfall, and correct planting, they'd chose the latter hands down - every one of them. So that's what you're aiming for.

Sorry to rain on your parade. But I don't want to gloss it over and say it looks amazing when it doesn't. I am trying to help you here. So take it with a grain of salt.

Keep it up. You'll keep getting better.

Lynden-Jeff
07-18-2008, 05:42 PM
I actually don't think it looks that bad, other then the transition from rock to grass, use of the block to make a small border at the bottom and wrap it around back in to the base of the top pool would make it look much cleaner. I think the use of both rustic and more formal materials can look good, just needs a bit of tweaking.

Cheers

ANC Stone Creations
07-18-2008, 06:00 PM
As for a larger rock at the top, if you were to add a larger rock at the top you might end up having water loss problems, as the larger rock is larger therefore more drop = more splash.

A good rule of thumb is, if you have a 3' rock, it is best to have 3' from the edge of the water feature making your basin 5'-6' diameter, all of this of course depends on the flow from the rock.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

ViceNut
08-18-2008, 02:55 AM
Dont take this the wrong way, but it looks like the wall threw up. :eek:

yosoniamcool3
08-18-2008, 11:03 AM
is that your read and blue shovel this must have taken some time to dig out lol look good

scenicexcellence
08-20-2008, 02:36 AM
the difference between the fourth and fifth picture i think you should go back tot the fourth picture design and then add one of those water well things you know with the bucket!

n2h20
08-25-2008, 01:24 PM
the wall through up..... hahah...
my opinion there is way to much rock both large and small. i dont like the gravel in the front and its perfect radius. that wont stay like that for long,,,, kids dogs weed whacker.. it will be all over the grass soon enough.

as you build them you will learn some tricks and each one will be better,,,, you'll start to study otherr builds and natural falls, all making yours better...