PDA

View Full Version : First walkway job

blsmonroe
07-04-2008, 05:12 PM
Here are some pics of my first walkway job. I've been cutting lawns for 4 years and I'm just starting into bigger landscaping jobs and paver jobs this year. (I'm sure you haven't heard that before) I know its not perfect, I did learn a lot though. One thing I'm looking for is suggestions on where we turned the running bond pattern to match the turns. Is there an easier way to do this? Or a a way to make it look better? The story behind the fourth picture is we hit a very soft spot of dirt. About 15 sq ft so rather than digging out the usual 7" we dug down about 18-24" to more stable ground.

KevinACrider
07-04-2008, 05:15 PM
Any reason why you chose that particular way of making the angle?

blsmonroe
07-04-2008, 05:16 PM
More pics:
We used 4" of road blend base and 1 inch of concrete sand. The pavers are ephenry Old town cobble dakota blend.

Suggestions? Tips?

blsmonroe
07-04-2008, 05:18 PM
Kevin,
To answer your question that was one thing i learned from this job. I based my new walkway too much on the layout of the old walkway. The customer wanted it similarly sized to the old walkway (that he did himself).

Also I realize that I didn't go wide enough on the base, that was mostly due to poor planning and basing the excavation for the new walkway mostly off of the old walkway.

KevinACrider
07-04-2008, 05:20 PM
The outline shape isn't bad but I'm referring to the way you cut the block at each angle. It doesn't look like it flows very well.

punt66
07-04-2008, 05:26 PM
I would have rounded the curves and the only cuts would have been the ends. Its not flowing right.

blsmonroe
07-04-2008, 05:27 PM
Yeah, the walkway went from 5 feet to about 3 feet wide at that point so it was tricky making a uniform turn. That's actually the main thing i'm looking for suggestions on.
The customer was very happy with it and didn't mention this detail. Some people I showed it to liked how that part looked, others weren't crazy about it. The more I look at it the more i'm not so crazy about it.

paponte
07-06-2008, 09:51 AM
Wow, ummmm. Since it's your first job I wouln't be too harsh. But those corners are unsightly. We stay away from straight paths and corners, but in the event we would need to do that, I think once single mitre would look a hell of alot better. Free flowing and winding is the "straight" path for pavers imo.

blsmonroe
07-06-2008, 11:40 AM
Jeez, that bad eh? Thanks for the tip. I figured i should've stayed away from curves since it was my first job, but now it looks like that would've been the way to go right?

punt66
07-06-2008, 12:48 PM
Jeez, that bad eh? Thanks for the tip. I figured i should've stayed away from curves since it was my first job, but now it looks like that would've been the way to go right?

curves are always the way to go.

paponte
07-06-2008, 05:35 PM
Yes, sorry but it is bad. Your soldier coarse does not line up nor do your corners. The pattern gets killed at the corners. Another trick in that situation, would have been to inlay a different pattern at any of the corners such as diamonds or a cirlcle, then come off of that on the other turn.

Turfrific
07-06-2008, 09:44 PM
i'm just getting into lawn care services, not sure if you got them high enough looks like may of needed to be at least an inch higher, but like i said im just starting.

instyle
07-07-2008, 12:48 AM
I am sorry friend. You should not do this type of work again untill you have researched it way more! That customer is happy with the job because it is differant than her old path, give her 2 months and she wont be happy. You may have done good excavating...butthere is way more than that.
1st....why did you change the direction of the field to follw every change of walkway. Point your field in the same direction and cut cut cut.
2nd....curves are way easier, and look way better.
3rd....screed bars have to be level to insure the walk way will be level.

Here is the thing..... It may be your first job....but what did you learn? Why didn't you learn it before you did the job? I really hate to be this harsh but that looks real bad. We have all done our "first job", but always do your research before you do it.

LawnVet
07-07-2008, 09:32 AM
Good replies on this. My $.02 - first time jobs should be done on your own house or a relative that pays for materials only...unless you've been apprenticing or taken courses and studied up. Though I must say, a customer of mine decided to take on a rather difficult raised patio/retaining walls/walkway job for his place with zero experience and is doing an amazing job - pretty sure he did a heck of a lot more research than you though. Sorry to be harsh.

blsmonroe
07-07-2008, 10:19 AM
This was actually my first walkway job for a paying customer. I did a small patio at my parents house but it was simply a small rectangle with all straight lines.
I took a one day course on pavers at Rutgers and learned a lot in that class. Unfortunately they focused mostly on excavation, base prep, soil compaction, base compaction and spent much less time on the actual laying of the pavers. (of course there's only so much you can fit into 1 day, and no a one day course doesn't make me a hardscaping contractor) In hindsight I should've done more research on laying the pavers.
As for what I learned?
I learned to always use curves when there are any turns in a walkway.
I learned that the pattern should always be layed in the same direction.

As I said before, my newbie mistake was thinking a walkway with straight lines would've been easier but now I realize using curves and better planning would've made this walkway a lot better.
Thanks again to everyone for their input, I don't mind the harshness, a lot of this is new to me and as I see from this thread I have a lot more to learn.

N.H.BOY
07-07-2008, 11:26 PM
Now that was a great responce back--people gave thier two cents good and mostly bad..but you took it with stride and it didnt bother you. With that I think you'll be fine. It's nice to see people NOT to freak out with someone tells you you did a bad job. get more under your belt:clapping:

02DURAMAX
07-08-2008, 03:57 AM
sorry but thats just ugly....

instyle
07-09-2008, 01:04 AM
Good job not taking offense!!!
Critisim is acctually advice! What to do now............spend hours on the net looking at other walkways (pictures) and patios and look at what they did! Trust me this works!