PDA

View Full Version : Pattern bluestone

RhinoL&L
07-04-2008, 04:15 PM
I will be starting a pattern flag patio on monday. I have a couple questions though. I will be using a 6 in. base compacted in 2in. lifts, with geotextile under base between subgrade. I am not sure about my bedding sand though, the stone varies in thickness from 1-1.5 in. do i just use less sand for the thicker pieces? Also, do i compact over the stone once laid? i feel like it wouldnt work well.

Thanks for the help!:waving:

punt66
07-04-2008, 04:34 PM
Put down an inch of bedding sand on top of your base. I have laid bluestone by working it into the sand to level and depending on the stone, some you can easily break off layers with a chipping hammer if necessary.

RhinoL&L
07-04-2008, 08:20 PM
So do i run a compactor over the stone once laid? Im not sure what i need to do after the stone is set? I feel like the plate compactor would damage the stone.

Also what kind of saw would be best?

amscapes03
07-05-2008, 12:14 AM
NO! Don't (never) run a plate compactor over the bluestone, you'll end up with cracked bluestone, broken bluestone, etc. Each piece is leveled and set with a rubber mallet. Just remember bluestone is different from pavers. There is no interlocking component to a bluestone walkway or patio as with pavers. The joints are much wider than the paver joints. The joints will vary in size from 1/4" to a 1/2". You don't need to set the pieces in concrete sand either, that will be up to you. Personally i prefer using stone dust when setting blue. There is stabilizing (polymeric) sand on the market now made for bigger joints. Google "Gator Dust" or ask your stone supplier about it.

punt66
07-05-2008, 06:53 AM
NO! Don't (never) run a plate compactor over the bluestone, you'll end up with cracked bluestone, broken bluestone, etc. Each piece is leveled and set with a rubber mallet. Just remember bluestone is different from pavers. There is no interlocking component to a bluestone walkway or patio as with pavers. The joints are much wider than the paver joints. The joints will vary in size from 1/4" to a 1/2". You don't need to set the pieces in concrete sand either, that will be up to you. Personally i prefer using stone dust when setting blue. There is stabilizing (polymeric) sand on the market now made for bigger joints. Google "Gator Dust" or ask your stone supplier about it.

Stone dust once compacted is more difficult to set diferent thickness stones. Thats my experience. I use it for pavers but not usually for stone. I have found sand is easier to work the stone into. And absolutely do not use a compactor on the stone but yes on the bedding.

RhinoL&L
07-05-2008, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the help!

I dont know if a cut off saw or a saw on a stand would be best. I think the one on the stand since they are mostly straight cuts, what do you guys think?

punt66
07-05-2008, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the help!

I dont know if a cut off saw or a saw on a stand would be best. I think the one on the stand since they are mostly straight cuts, what do you guys think?

well i only use cut off saws for stone. For pavers i actually use an old miterbox with a 12" diamond blade.

RhinoL&L
07-06-2008, 12:17 PM
would i be able to make straight cuts with the cut off (stihl ts400), or would it be better to use a stand mounted wet saw?

punt66
07-06-2008, 03:36 PM
would i be able to make straight cuts with the cut off (stihl ts400), or would it be better to use a stand mounted wet saw?

Cut off is the way to go for blue stone

RhinoL&L
07-07-2008, 07:54 PM
thanks for the help! Anyone else?

amscapes03
07-07-2008, 10:15 PM
Rhino...If your not use to cutting bluestone, or for that matter using a cut off, you might try a 7" angle grinder with a diamond blade. I always have one on the job site. There's a lot less gyration with a grinder, not to mention the weight difference.

punt66
07-08-2008, 06:01 AM
Rhino...If your not use to cutting bluestone, or for that matter using a cut off, you might try a 7" angle grinder with a diamond blade. I always have one on the job site. There's a lot less gyration with a grinder, not to mention the weight difference.

Well if he is not used to cutting with a little grinder, his straight lines will be even more difficult. Thats ok for the occasional paver but not large, flat stone.