PDA

View Full Version : Problems with saddles

TPendagast
07-04-2008, 07:51 PM
I have a job that was installed last year by an "irrigation expert" that is nicked named 'Homey the clown' around here.
Needless to say he's not exactly and expert, but he likes to write newspaper articles about himself saying just that.

Anyway he was not invited back to the property, I have taken over his mess.

I had a zone with a valve that is firing but there is no water comming out of the heads, I did all the usual troubleshooting to find that finally I left the zoneon long enough Some water started bubbling up....aha! a leak.. so I dug it up only to find 1" poly connector not quite connected, I added a foot of pipe and recoupled...... worked for a week (sorta) and then quit.

SoI figured there was some debris in the pipe from it having been loose so I did the usual trying to blow out the heads....hmmm nothing no water.

So I decided to dig up the first T to the funny pipe thinking there was a rock stuck in the T.

Well the heads are on like 12 feet of funny pipe and the lateral is yea 12 feet away from the heads (lotta digging to find this)

so finally yesterday at 8pm I found the junction of funny and lateral at a saddle....OH ok! yea definaately understand how that could catch a rock and clog the whole pipe.
So I dug it up only to find the pipe double kinked immediately before the saddle.... hmmm no wonder it always "kinda worked".
Ok cleared everything blew out the pipe etc etc etc. reconnected everything....water works fine for HALF the zone.... Crap the only thing I can think of is another rock farther down the pipe that some how passed 5 other saddles and got clogged here? There is only three more heads left but noneof them have zip for pressure/flow. How would that litle rock have passed the other saddles (that clearly do a good job of blocking the line) only to get that wedged in that saddle?

My first thought was to find the far end of the lateral and blow it out backwards, but whatever junk is in there would have to pass all theose other saddles again, likely getting caught again.
IF this was just T's I'd pop the nozzels off and clear the pipe easy.
These saddles are making it difficult because of the typeotiny little "chit" rock that is in there.

Anyone have any idea how to clear this without digging up the whole fudgin lawn?

CAPT Stream Rotar
07-04-2008, 07:58 PM
I have a job that was installed last year by an "irrigation expert" that is nicked named 'Homey the clown' around here.
Needless to say he's not exactly and expert, but he likes to write newspaper articles about himself saying just that.

Anyway he was not invited back to the property, I have taken over his mess.

I had a zone with a valve that is firing but there is no water comming out of the heads, I did all the usual troubleshooting to find that finally I left the zoneon long enough Some water started bubbling up....aha! a leak.. so I dug it up only to find 1" poly connector not quite connected, I added a foot of pipe and recoupled...... worked for a week (sorta) and then quit.

SoI figured there was some debris in the pipe from it having been loose so I did the usual trying to blow out the heads....hmmm nothing no water.

So I decided to dig up the first T to the funny pipe thinking there was a rock stuck in the T.

Well the heads are on like 12 feet of funny pipe and the lateral is yea 12 feet away from the heads (lotta digging to find this)

so finally yesterday at 8pm I found the junction of funny and lateral at a saddle....OH ok! yea definaately understand how that could catch a rock and clog the whole pipe.
So I dug it up only to find the pipe double kinked immediately before the saddle.... hmmm no wonder it always "kinda worked".
Ok cleared everything blew out the pipe etc etc etc. reconnected everything....water works fine for HALF the zone.... Crap the only thing I can think of is another rock farther down the pipe that some how passed 5 other saddles and got clogged here? There is only three more heads left but noneof them have zip for pressure/flow. How would that litle rock have passed the other saddles (that clearly do a good job of blocking the line) only to get that wedged in that saddle?

My first thought was to find the far end of the lateral and blow it out backwards, but whatever junk is in there would have to pass all theose other saddles again, likely getting caught again.
IF this was just T's I'd pop the nozzels off and clear the pipe easy.
These saddles are making it difficult because of the typeotiny little "chit" rock that is in there.

Anyone have any idea how to clear this without digging up the whole fudgin lawn?

Hey buddy, I feel your pain..Pick up other people's mess up gets very old..
Out here on the East coast (poly land) we have a saying,"1 zone can only have a few stitches until it becomes a mess over time...
I think you should level with the customer, get her to go after homey...Pull a new zone reuse what you can....

to many times have i dug up other peoples mess just to tear it all out a few months later when it "kinda works"

good luck keep the 1 section that works and redo the other half....

my 2

CSR

TPendagast
07-04-2008, 08:09 PM
ye I hear ya..Im from CT originally so I know the East Coast.

WE dont do any pipe pulling out this way all trenching.

So you think there is no way to fix this saddle issue but to put in new line, eh? (which is by th way what I alreay ddi to get the first half to work, but I only had to dig up a planting bed for that part of the poly, the next half will require digging up the lawn.

CAPT Stream Rotar
07-04-2008, 08:20 PM
ye I hear ya..Im from CT originally so I know the East Coast.

WE dont do any pipe pulling out this way all trenching.

So you think there is no way to fix this saddle issue but to put in new line, eh? (which is by th way what I alreay ddi to get the first half to work, but I only had to dig up a planting bed for that part of the poly, the next half will require digging up the lawn.

Well from the sounds of it the system has been put through the ringer...

I mean if you think you can slap a few InsertXinsertX1/2 female fittings to replace the T's give it a shot..
But rocks in the pipe is a bad thing..And from the sounds of this @ss clown i bet there is more wrong with that zone than you think.....Anything is worth a shot though....

take some pictures so this lady can ream him a new one or possibly take him to court..

TPendagast
07-04-2008, 08:23 PM
I had some pics before I cut out the kinked pipe, then the propertymanager rode up on a scooter with his golf clubs attached lit with liquor (pretty darn funny site) so he saw it with his own eyes as well.

This clown is a former probation officer and all hs help are work release.
Real clean fellas!

CAPT Stream Rotar
07-04-2008, 08:27 PM
I had some pics before I cut out the kinked pipe, then the propertymanager rode up on a scooter with his golf clubs attached lit with liquor (pretty darn funny site) so he saw it with his own eyes as well.

This clown is a former probation officer and all hs help are work release.
Real clean fellas!

lol!

Im sure they all passed a criminal backround check and are drug free

*trucewhiteflag*

Wet_Boots
07-04-2008, 08:35 PM
I'd just blame it all on badgers, and sell them a new system :)

CAPT Stream Rotar
07-04-2008, 08:37 PM
I'd just blame it all on badgers, and sell them a new system :)

UPGRADE!
UPGRADE!
UPGRADE!

Waterit
07-05-2008, 02:09 AM
This clown is a former probation officer and all hs help are work release. Real clean fellas!

Been wondering where all my ex-employees have moved off to...:laugh:

Don't envy you, TP, it's never fun cleaning up another irrigator's mess, especially in an established landscape (although it can be quite profitable).