PDA

View Full Version : what to use?

PRECISION LC
01-11-2002, 03:59 AM
I picked up a new contract for this up-comming year and began to think about it. It is a 5 acre commons area that has a creek running down the middle, there are also open flat areas but mainly, sloped rough terrain. I'm concerned about what mower to use. I have a (1)48"walk-behind or a (2)52"walker.

David Haggerty
01-11-2002, 08:11 AM
I don't have any experience with those mowers. But I've mowed that size of lawn. I'd guess that to finish the same day you started you'd need both mowers in operation at once.

Dave

Turfdude
01-11-2002, 09:00 AM
You should have a trailer big enough for both machines so you can use each one where it will be the most effective. TAKE THEM BOTH!!!

walker-talker
01-11-2002, 10:45 AM
I use to mow a commons with a drainage pond. I also have a 48" WB and Walker (48" GHS). I found that the WB was more stable than the Walker. The sides of the pond were steep and had a sand base. I once got the WB stuck so bad the deck was in the water. I had to disconnect the deck to get unstuck. Later in the season I had bought the Walker and got it sruck so bad I had to call a tow truck to wench me out. I only had about 20 hours on the Walker and it scared the ever loving crap out of me. The next season they did not call me back and I did not call them. Point is, be careful when mowing on slopes! Precision LC, do you already have the 52 mulch deck?

MATT

65hoss
01-11-2002, 01:17 PM
If you can only use 1, then you can figure that out by trial and error.

turfman59
01-11-2002, 05:39 PM
hey walker talker

How many degrees was that slope you had the scare on I have been contemplating the purchase of the identical machine you almost put in the pond. Just curious of the overall stability and wondered if your extremely satisfied with it or not.
turfman59

Green Care
01-11-2002, 10:29 PM
Take Both

Just in case!!!!!!!!!

walker-talker
01-11-2002, 11:29 PM
Turfman,

I was never good at geometry, but if I would have to guess between 35 and 45. Now that I think about it, maybe I went back to using the WB was because it was lighter and a little easier to control. You have to remember the soil condition was mostly sand (a lot of stickers and that sucks when using a WB). Everytime I mowed around the pond, I would try to get furthur closer to the water. The Walker is a lot heavier and would just slide a lot more on that sand. I have had no problems with the Walker, other than my scare!

MATT

PRECISION LC
01-12-2002, 03:09 AM
walker talker
i have already purchased the 52" side discharge, and plan to use it. i also plan to use both mowers but just wanted to know which one would do the job the easiest, and safest.

RMDoyon
01-12-2002, 08:46 AM
PRECISION,
I have a creekside property as well.

I also have my choice of Walker 52", 48" GHS or eXmark 48 WB.

Although the 48 WB is actually faster of this part of the property, I use the Walker and follow up with a string trimmer for the inaccessable areas.

It depends on how comfortable you are with the Walker whether you can get close enough to finish with a trimmer.

Roger

awm
01-12-2002, 06:32 PM
oh RM u jus like to ride your ztr:D later now

RMDoyon
01-12-2002, 07:10 PM
Guilty as charged awm!

LAWNGODFATHER
01-12-2002, 09:56 PM
Sorry but if you have to ask, the exit door is to the left.

If you have had those mowers for any length of time (a week) you should know where, how, and what they can endure.

PRECISION LC
01-18-2002, 04:44 PM
lawngodfather
thanks for the advice. and by the way i did just get the walker and i heard that they cant hold slopes that well, so i was asking around , IF THATS OK WITH YOU!

LAWNGODFATHER
01-19-2002, 09:37 AM
If in question, try it.

If I think a mower cannot hold a hill and the possablility is there to have to weed eat the whole hill, Il'' try and run the mower on that hill before I submit the bid. Don't actualy have to cut it, just run it on the hill.

BTW when I got my first ZTR, I tried it everywhere and anywhere.

richard coffman
01-19-2002, 06:59 PM
Mmmm, a few years back, I had a customer of mine wanting me to mow there side property line and ditch every other week. lokin at the ditch and the steep sloop, I first started out using a hydro 48" wb and thought i could save some time(was getting a little behind that day). as i was heading my first pass at the sloap, the deck of the mower wanted to follow the force of gravity and pull me along with it, well I got stuck at the bottom, so i grabed on of my guy's to help me out and took a chain hooked it up to my hydro 36" wb and pulled my 48" out of the ditch. I finished the job, using the 36" and every since then, don't regret it any. be smart and use the smaller mower, it'll save you time and money at the end.

Richard Coffman/owner
Special Needs Lawn Care;)

LAWNGODFATHER
01-19-2002, 07:35 PM
Richard Coffman I don't quite understand your post. The 48 should handle hill/slopes better than a 36".

That is a rare instance.

richard coffman
01-20-2002, 12:25 AM
lawngodfather,

I've had a few lawns like that. i even had a job where i was on a slop around 35 degrees, the turf was wet from it raining earlier that day. my 36" hydro slipped and flipped over going down the hill, thankfully this was a estate property where you couldn't see the whole thing happen unless you we're right there. The mower wasn't damaged thankfully. I flipped the mower back over, checked everything out, started it up and everything was fine except for the smoke rolling out of the exaust, I'm so thankful for the safty system on that Encore mower.:angel:

Richard Coffman/owner
Special Needs LAwn Services

LAWNGODFATHER
01-20-2002, 05:40 AM
Ok now I am even more confused.

First you said: hydro 48" wb and thought i could save some time

Next you said: pulled my 48" out of the ditch

Now you said: be smart and use the smaller mower, it'll save you time and money at the end

Then you said: my 36" hydro slipped and flipped over going down the hill

48" encore has an estimated wheel width of 40"

36" encore has an estimated wheel width of 33"

How does a wide track mower handle a hill worse than a narrower one?

P.S. I have an encore 48" so no BS.

Come on give me a break wider wheels will always hold a hill better than a narrower one.

captdevo
01-20-2002, 06:01 AM
PRECISION LC

i don't know where you heard Walkers won't hold slopes, that is not true.

especially with a 52" deck!

i haven't found any ztr, mid or front that can hold a slope as well as a Walker with a 52" or 62" deck and a/t tires.

i even followed and suprised Brads (flex-deck) JD 455 aws with a Walker with a 52" with low profile turf tires, and hell, i didn't even lift the armrest and sit on the edge of the seat like he did.

i've always said "if you can follow me, i'll buy your mower!"

If you are catching, that is different, you're raising the center of gravity and they will tend to drag the tail wheel.

--------

Matt,

was the grass damp??

Where you catching?

not sure how you would slide.