PDA

View Full Version : Soaking the Sod........

Lawn Pawn
07-05-2008, 10:40 AM
I mow a new home with new sod installed late last Fall..... note this is central Wisconsin. The irrigation system... the home owner tells me... goes on at 5:30 AM daily. If I mow at 5:00 PM it is still soaking wet! The lawn can be nine inches long and they want it cut shorter than the four inches or longer I have been cutting it at. I pulled a blade of grass out to actually measure, and at ground level is just a brown slime. My question.... am I correct in thinking this is crazy for them to be doing this to their lawn?? I am allowed only cut it once a week.... I'm cutting nine inch grass down to 3.5 inch. The Scag lays out the cut grass like a sheet of green plastic covering their lawn and they seem to love it. It makes me sick to do this. Am I the goofy one here or not.

Kiril
07-05-2008, 11:36 AM
Reduce the water and stop fertilizing.

WalkGood
07-05-2008, 11:40 AM
I mow a new home with new sod installed late last Fall..... note this is central Wisconsin. The irrigation system... the home owner tells me... goes on at 5:30 AM daily. If I mow at 5:00 PM it is still soaking wet! The lawn can be nine inches long and they want it cut shorter than the four inches or longer I have been cutting it at. I pulled a blade of grass out to actually measure, and at ground level is just a brown slime. My question.... am I correct in thinking this is crazy for them to be doing this to their lawn?? I am allowed only cut it once a week.... I'm cutting nine inch grass down to 3.5 inch. The Scag lays out the cut grass like a sheet of green plastic covering their lawn and they seem to love it. It makes me sick to do this. Am I the goofy one here or not.

How long does the irrigation system run? Can we infer that th eground is mushy and squishy when you walk on the grass?

Try to educate the client that they are wasting water and running the system too long.

If that does not work then triple or quadruple your price to them. Mowing grass any more than 2" per week in one cut is not "normal" and needs to be charged extra. Perhaps they are over fertilizing? As a general rule grass should not be cut more than 1/3 of it's length at one time.

If they say OK then so be it and you make more money. If they balk, politely "fire" them! Tell them you cannot be of service to them anymore and wish them well.

Lawn Pawn
07-05-2008, 12:18 PM
How long does the irrigation system run?
I do not think they really know........

Can we infer that the ground is mushy and squishy when you walk on the grass?
OHH you bet, Other areas of lawn do not get any water... system must not spray far enough?..... Some heads are three/four inches below grade.

Try to educate the client that they are wasting water and running the system too long.
Have written this up, and told them in person........

If that does not work then triple or quadruple your price to them.
Not gonna happen.........!!!!!!!!

Mowing grass any more than 2" per week in one cut is not "normal" and needs to be charged extra. Perhaps they are over fertilizing?
Parts of lawn are yellow.... they refuse to fertilize those areas.......

As a general rule grass should not be cut more than 1/3 of it's length at one time.
As I have told them..........

If they say OK then so be it and you make more money. If they balk, politely "fire" them! Tell them you cannot be of service to them anymore and wish them well.
I am afraid it will come to this, Thanks for your response........

Wet_Boots
07-05-2008, 12:31 PM
Hey, take their money in exchange for your services, and don't lose sleep over it.

Waterit
07-05-2008, 03:09 PM
Sounds like lose-lose situation. Do as Wet Boots suggests to the best of your ability and quit driving yourself nuts over it, or do as Walk Good suggests and fire them!

WalkGood
07-05-2008, 06:34 PM
I would bet that the price they pay is not enough for cutting 5½" off of the 9" tall grass. How much extra time does it take to cut that grass compared to if they had normal growth?

CAPT Stream Rotar
07-05-2008, 06:37 PM
get your hands on the controller.

Lawn Pawn
07-05-2008, 10:24 PM
I would bet that the price they pay is not enough for cutting 5½" off of the 9" tall grass. How much extra time does it take to cut that grass compared to if they had normal growth?

30% more time.

I really am at my bottom line for price on this property. Otherwise I would love to double cut it. Better yet.... cut it twice a week.... better for the lawn too!

None of this is life or death.... but really wish they would just trust me and take well intentioned advise. Get the irrigation guy to set the system up as it should be. Everybody would be money ahead!

WalkGood
07-05-2008, 11:08 PM

30% more time.

I really am at my bottom line for price on this property. Otherwise I would love to double cut it. Better yet.... cut it twice a week.... better for the lawn too!

None of this is life or death.... but really wish they would just trust me and take well intentioned advise. Get the irrigation guy to set the system up as it should be. Everybody would be money ahead!

So do you have anything in your lawn cutting contracts that say you can charge them extra because of extra long grass?

If it is not mentioned at all, then inform the client you are charging them 50% more as of Aug 01 2008. They must agree in writing or you will stop cutting their grass.

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-06-2008, 07:05 AM
I would think you'd leave some pretty severe wheel ruts in the yard. Time is money so I'd follow all the above advice and make room for a new client.

CAPT Stream Rotar
07-06-2008, 07:08 AM
I suggest you turn N burn in this guys wet areas....

opps sorry...call someone else.