PDA

View Full Version : Experimenting

vipermanz
01-11-2002, 05:36 AM
Has anyone here ever tried making your own blades?
i am currently in the process of making a prototype aluminum blade.

HOMER
01-11-2002, 07:46 AM
Do you know anything about metal/aluminum? If you don't then I'd stop where your at and let someone that knows a thing or two about it take over!

Question: With all the rocket scientists in this world why do you think none of them has come up with an aluminum blade?

Answer: Obviously it won't work!

Quit while you have 2 feet.

geogunn
01-11-2002, 07:53 AM
viperchild--at your age there are many things worth experimenting with.

such as automobiles, girls, girls, girls, etc and that is not in any particular order of importance.

but I strongly suggest that you refrain from trying to improve the blade for your lawnboy. and that goes for any other mower.

there are reasons that mower blades are made out of steel instead of aluminum and a dangerous situation might arise if you try to find out why by experimentation.

focus those energies viperchild. I suggest the list I provided above.

GEO

HOMER
01-11-2002, 08:23 AM
Thanks Geo!

Sure would hate to see the young lad hurt by flying chunks of aluminum.

Ya, focus your attention on the girls Viperman! You could live a long and healthy life that way.

geogunn
01-11-2002, 08:36 AM
sure thing homer!

that lad has a bright future in front of him.

we're just going to have to remind him from time to time.:D

GEO

Richard Martin
01-11-2002, 08:49 AM
You should stop this experiment immediately! Aluminum is way too brittle to be used in such a harsh enviroment as exists under a mower deck. It would surely crack and a fatigue failure would occur if the slightest imbalalance exists in the blade. If you were to hit something hard it could immediately shatter the blade.
Caution---Caution---Caution--Danger--Danger--Danger

lawncare
01-11-2002, 09:00 AM
Well the way i see it xperimenting with either one will cause you trouble blades and girls stick to model cars

Eng Mwr Guy
01-11-2002, 09:41 AM
As an engineer in this industry please DO NOT EXPERIMENT WITH BLADES.

This is not a self-serving situation. From one human to another please stay alive and in excellent health by not attempting to make aluminum blades.

Build your own machine......jus stay away from homemade blades.

Barry
Ariens/Gravely Guy

65hoss
01-11-2002, 01:21 PM
Everytime I think he's wising up, he screws it up again!:eek:

johnnywalker
01-11-2002, 01:44 PM
Keep experimenting with design Viper but leave the fabricating to an expert.
I am having a metal head friend fabricate a double sided gator for use as a top blade on a double blade set-up.
Obviously this is a touched pic but you can see the concept on one side of the red gator.

vipermanz
01-11-2002, 08:35 PM
WhOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, i am just using aluminum as a Prototype, i never had actual plans to use it, it's softer so it's way easier to work with ,Once Again i Never Plan To Use Anything But What I Buy. i remember seeing that someone had tried this before with steel and said his discharge a long way out, i could'nt find it on the search so i started this one. I agree that it is way to dangerous to even mount it, But it never hurts to see what you can do with spare time.Once Again i Never Plan To Use Anything But What I Buy. :)

65hoss
01-11-2002, 09:48 PM
Excellent, glad to see you don't have a death wish. Maybe you can keep playing with designs and one day Barry can hire you to help him design the next generation of w/b's.

vipermanz
01-12-2002, 04:13 AM
i wouldn't trust aluminum spinning around at 4000 +/- rpms.

Ohh, i like that job idea!

grassyfras
01-12-2002, 02:46 PM
IT would be stupid to use it on your mower but Why dont they make blades out of graphite strong metal and wont break just warp but really expenisive i think