PDA

View Full Version : price for pond............WOW!!

TONTAGE
07-05-2008, 07:23 PM
WELL......
for an 11x16 pond with waterfall installed $6500 or buy the kit for $1400 and do it yourself??
well,needless to say i handed the family each a shovel and we started digging!

Lite4
07-05-2008, 08:22 PM
Yeah, you'll save some $,but it will probably look like a home built pond and waterfall too. No offense here, but it takes years of building these things to aquire the experience and the skills necessary to make waterfalls and ponds a bit more "natural" looking, if you know what I mean. My waterfalls didn't even start to look good until I had installed between 20-25 of them. But, this is typical of a lot of homeowners who sacrifice a truly beautiful product from a skilled artisan in the pursuit of saving a few bucks. I guess you'll have the whole pride of doing it yourself, but the end product may leave much to be desired. One thing you should know, the 1,400 dollar kit is just the start of what you will need to construct this pond/ waterfall. You will still have to buy all the boulders and rock as well and good quality boulders are not inexpensive to buy or move. This usually is gets scrimped on; or very small rocks are used by the homeowner because they do not want to lift larger stones or have the equipment and knowledge of how to move them and put them together into a project. Also you must realize that as a contractor, we are not doing this for our health. Sure we may enjoy and truly love what we do, but at the end of the day, running a business and keeping food on the table is also a necessity. This is OUR JOB. These days that does not come cheap. It is called overhead and YES, we do have to pay for it by charging for the products and services we sell. Oh, yes and at the end of the day, when all the bills are paid, we hope that there is a little bit of something called profit. Most businesses need this to survive. Sorry for the rant. Good luck with your project.

TONTAGE
07-05-2008, 08:45 PM
i hear ya,and after spending about an hour im ready to throw in the towel.ran into a huge route about 6 inches down and is very long,not to mention probably 6 inches in dia.im ready to just push the dirt back and wait until i can have it done professionly.
thanks for your input
tontage

Toker
07-07-2008, 12:04 PM
... but as Tim also said, we all gotta start somewhere too.

That's 5 Big Bills seperating the things....

ponderosa
07-08-2008, 08:52 PM
Well said FF.
Tontage, hire a professional and watch the process. Then try the next one yourself.
I'm a pro, and even as i'm doing one for myself i will end up spending much more than $1400 by the time i pay for all the rock and plants.
good luck

carcrz
07-12-2008, 01:20 AM
mini excavator to the rescue!

TONTAGE
07-12-2008, 08:49 AM
mini excavator to the rescue!

im going to make sure my wife doesnt see that post.:)we were digginf for over an hour and every shovel full of dirt i picked up i said to myself....wow!!!!!!!!! i just saved a hundred bucks.things were going very easy until we hit the root.shortly after that i started to think that we should leave this up to a professional.i know it would end up costing me way more than 1400 bucks,and since we just had pool put in,i needed to focus on getting things for that 1st before starting something else.i moved all the dirt back in the hole and thats on hold for now.does kind of stink though,it would have been in a perfect spot.

ANC Stone Creations
07-14-2008, 06:56 PM
To be perfectly honest with you for an 11'x16' pond and a waterfall for $6500, that is a hell of a deal to have peace of mind that once it is done it will run properly.
Just imagine if you did have problems, with no experience where would you start.

Most of the kits are junk, silicone only last so long with constant water running over it.
See, right now you are probably thinking silicone? the falls and filteration system requires you to cut holes and seal them with silicone ( bad idea ).

Anyways back to the good price you were given, I would jump all over that.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

JohnnyRoyale
07-14-2008, 07:03 PM
Classic example of "how hard can it be?"-I hope you'll appreciate that pond guy's expertise a little more now. Good luck.

ANC Stone Creations
07-14-2008, 07:36 PM
Most people must think just because we dig in the dirt that we make $10 an hour.

Would you do a surgery on yourself or family member with no experience or question the price to have it done by a pro?

Hey Tontage, What do you think the project should have cost if the kit was $1400? and how long do you think it should take? That's hoping that the $1400 kit will cover what you are trying to accomplish ie: pond / waterfall

TONTAGE
07-14-2008, 08:41 PM
Im Guessing

TONTAGE
07-14-2008, 08:42 PM
if i had to guess assuming the kit was 1400 bucks,probably when all said and done,maybe 2500 ish?probalby would have gotten a few more gray hairs in the process too.

ANC Stone Creations
07-14-2008, 10:35 PM
It would probably cost you that much just for materials, rock, delivery or make 20 trips yourself plus mulch and plantings and so on, money goes quick for water features.

I would have to say that building water features is a form of art to most of us.
Besides all, isn't your time worth something?

Enjoy your weekends, leave this type of hard work to the pros.

JTHutch
07-15-2008, 03:34 PM
This is coming from a Landscape pro who has installed a few ponds and love doing it. But I'm also a do it your selfer and there is nothing nicer than looking at something you built with your own hands with you own ideas, even if it doesn't look "proffesional" or you my have to tweak/fix it a couple of times, it's fun to have something you can call your own, So you may or may not save money but there is a lot of value in being able to say I built that myself.

Now in the same vein if it turns out to be a huge pile of dog doo when you finish and you are sitting at the edge of a pile of rocks and a mud pit screaming why, Why, WHY. Then the do it yourself aspect is pretty much out the window.

Toker
07-15-2008, 05:30 PM
Guess if one plans to do more, enter into businesss, create something him/herself to be able to say they did it...yep, that self satisfaction in doing something is the greatest feeling alive (okay--that "other kinda thing" feels mighty fine too but it's short lived remember! :laugh: ) and I still say create it.

But time or others things an issue I cave in - toss the money into the pit and be done with it.