PDA

View Full Version : How honest is your website?

Brian Hay
07-05-2008, 09:18 PM
I just finished browsing a few of my competitors websites and I am a little frustrated....OK a lot frustrated. Of all the Extreme Terrain Excavating Contractors websites that are online from North America that have machines like ours (about a dozen) only about four are not new start ups. But you would never guess looking at their sites that they are new. They have all kinds of great pictures/videos on them of all the great things...they do? Not one picture is their own. The websites project themselves as being their work and they have been established for many years.

Now you look at my site and it's ALL mine, no B.S. When I first started I did have pictures on it that were not mine but I clearly stated that they were samples and I did not have any of my own pictures yet. I am 100% straight up in all my marketing/dealings and do not try to project myself as something I am not. What's frustrating is my honest approach is hurting me. I am watching some of these others take off way faster then me and it's largely because of the way they market themselves. Who would you hire, the new guy or the guy that looks well established?

I am not going to change my straight up approach no mater what, even if it does hurt me. I take to much pride in my honesty and won't sacrifice that for anything.

Can I get some thoughts on this? Do you guys think I am screwing up and going to get left behind because of it? Or will it come around for me and the honest approach to everything will be part of my niche once I am finally well established? These guys are growing way faster then me and I know I have lost more then one job already to contractors who are...who look more well established.

Jb3NH
07-10-2008, 12:32 AM
My website is very honest. On a scale of one to ten i'd say i tip the scales around 9.99... because actually more handsome in the contact us picture than digitial imagery can capture as of yet with current technology.

cpel2004
07-10-2008, 01:50 AM
Regardless of how good your work is, if you don't have customers your not going to make. A websites is nothing more than a commercial ad for your business and it should be designed as such. Do you think the actors on commercials actually use the products that they are selling.... Some do and some don't, based upon your post I think you need to change the way your are doing things. As long as you can back it up, whats the big deal. If you want to put a disclaimer at the bottom that's your prerogative.

Brian Hay
07-10-2008, 12:54 PM
Wow jb that is a great website you have! I think I browsed every page admiring your work.

I hear what your saying cpel and no I don't think all the actors in commercials use the products they represent but they are still representing the actual product in the commercial. But a picture of someone elses work on your site is not representing your product, it is someone elses.
I am 100% confident that I could put anything I want on my site and be able to back it up but I don't think I will. I am going to stick with the honest approach and keep my content mine. I know it will take longer to get established but the foundation I get established on will be much stronger for it.
There is no doubt I need to change things though. I posted this on another site at the same time and have been getting some great advice there. I have made several changes since I first posted this and am still working on it. If anyone has any ideas/advice I am listening. Constructive criticism is always welcomed and appreciated.

cpel2004
07-11-2008, 07:47 PM
Well if you go that route, I would definately state that in big bold letters. Turn it into a positive, lol there's more than one way to skin a cat. Best of Luck.

netmarketer
07-17-2008, 05:58 PM
Brian you sound like a man of high character and integrity. There is a way to market yourself by telling the truth. It's called transparent marketing. Here's a great article about it here:

http://www.marketingexperiments.com/improving-website-conversion/transparent-marketing.html

Jb3NH
07-17-2008, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the positive feedback Brian. I built that site myself and it is something i take a great deal of pride in.

Partsangel
07-26-2008, 09:31 PM
Brian
I am going to stick with the honest approach and keep my content mine. I know it will take longer to get established but the foundation I get established on will be much stronger for it.

Stick to your guns and provide the same service on your web site that you offer at your real business. and reply to everybody that e-mails you reguardless of what they may ask, I have made sales to people when they first contacted me about "what spark plug do I need for my red lawn mower".
A web site isnt another business its an extention of the business you already provide to local folks.

Mike

B & B Yardscape
07-29-2008, 08:57 AM
Wow! What a piece of equipment. I have a couple of days off and I'm going to go over your web page and tell you what I would do different.

My page is 100% honest. Like Jb3NH said, I keep pictures of myself off of it for the same reason.

I have not installed any artificual putting greens yet, but I offer the service and I have a picture of one from another web site. I state that I did not do the work below the pic.

Again, great excavator.

WebMan
07-31-2008, 06:50 PM
Occasionally if someone is building a brand new site and has no photos I will see if there are manufacturer photos of equipment they own in use or I ask a customer in a similar field from the other side of the country (so the same "searchers" would never see both sites) a "generic" photo or two to use for just a month or two until they can take their own photos but NOTHING is as good as YOUR photos even if they aren't as spectacular as "borrowed" ones.
(IF you borrow be sure you have permission)

But your site needs to be "real". You may present yourself in your very best light of course, but don't make yourself to be something you are not. Honesty can always work...if you are small and starting out that means you offer "great personal service and personalized attention to detail"... if you are huge the "We have the resources to handle any job large or small"

Both are great selling points. The main thing is to design your site to SELL. To Cause Action.
I see lots of sites that may have tons of great photos & text but it boils down to--- just saying "this is all the great stuff we do and how we do it"...ho-hum...:sleeping:

A web site MUST make me (Joe Customer) want to fill out that contact form or pick up the phone RIGHT NOW and quit searching the net because I have found what I want. IF they leave your site without contacting you the odds get very slim of them returning :wall

mdvaden
08-01-2008, 10:07 PM
Seems that half my business is coming from my site lately. Handy, since we just moved back up to north Oregon.

Best I know, all images are mine, with exception of a few paid-for clipart on advice pages. And those are accessory images, not work stuff.

Honesty of a website almost goes hand-in-hand with the content indicating the real you - conveying what you are like, what you, or your service, are about.

If someone is new in business, I think there is nothing wrong with using Stock Images for a header to get a nice design to start with.

tradeyouraccounts
08-25-2008, 12:21 PM
Hi it was interesting browsing your sites and well done Jb3NH on your design it can be very tricky and time consuming to do it yourself with some of the hosting website design applications they are not that user friendly. Have you guys done any SEO on your sites and who have you been hosting them with?