PDA

View Full Version : Sign o' the times

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-05-2008, 10:27 PM
Left the grocery store and saw this. I guess it has come to this.

WalkGood
07-05-2008, 11:12 PM
I've been meaning to get locking gas caps for our vehicles.

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-06-2008, 09:28 AM
I've been meaning to get locking gas caps for our vehicles.

I wondered why this person chose this method over a locking cap. Being funny? making a statement? Letting other know gas thieves are out there? I used to put the pump in my truck and then go into the store to do my number 1 and/or 2 and buy a drink. Now I stand guard until my gas transaction is complete. We are now paying 3.99 for regular unleaded. I'm betting it hits 4.50 this summer. My credit card cuts off at 85.00.

Kiril
07-06-2008, 09:44 AM
We are now paying 3.99 for regular unleaded.

Chump change.

phlandscaping
07-06-2008, 09:55 AM
Not to mention Diesel! About $4.65 around me right now pump cuts off at $75 and have to re-swipe. Prob about $120 to fill up F-250 needless to say it sits in the driveway quite a bit!

WalkGood
07-06-2008, 09:59 AM
I wondered why this person chose this method over a locking cap. Being funny? making a statement? Letting other know gas thieves are out there? I used to put the pump in my truck and then go into the store to do my number 1 and/or 2 and buy a drink. Now I stand guard until my gas transaction is complete. We are now paying 3.99 for regular unleaded. I'm betting it hits 4.50 this summer. My credit card cuts off at 85.00.

It probably *is* cheaper than a locking gas cap! And it does make a statement.

Right now, reg unleaded 87 octane is $4.29 a gallon and up. Last week I was in NJ and saw $3.97 a gallon.

CAPT Stream Rotar
07-06-2008, 01:59 PM
Chump change.

its tough to hear about what you all are paying..

ouch..

S&MLL
07-06-2008, 02:40 PM
Locking gas cap doesn't work. If you have ever lost your keys to your cap any pair of pliers will open the cap.

bobw
07-06-2008, 02:48 PM
Now that most fuel tanks are plastic, thieves have just started drilling holes in the tanks and filling buckets. I'd rather that they siphoned the gas and didn't mess up my fuel tank. And for the record... about $5.70/gal for diesel here...

CAPT Stream Rotar
07-06-2008, 02:48 PM
Locking gas cap doesn't work. If you have ever lost your keys to your cap any pair of pliers will open the cap.

my old mand grew up in jersey city..

alwasys said

"locks are for honest people"

greendoctor
07-06-2008, 02:57 PM
That's what my father told me also. The more you lock up, the more someone is tempted to violate you. To me, what someone wants to take is not work more than the locks, alarms, and the damage they will cause trying to take something. I leave cars and trucks unlocked, take the key with me. Want to open it and look? go ahead, shut the door behind you when you are finished. Hawaii is full of tweakers, it is the meth capitol of the US. If a tweaker wants something, he will do anything to get it. Locks are simply a 15 second puzzle for a tweaker to solve.

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-06-2008, 05:52 PM
Maybe stealing gas should be treated as the modern day version of horse thieving. Cowboy ties his horse to a post and by golly it better be there when he gets back. Not sure what the answer is though. i suspect if you live in a lower economic apt. complex gas stealing is rampant. Something is going to happen if gas keeps climbing. Not sure what but the world of cheap fuel is disappearing and I suspect this time for good. I know I stay home a lot more on weekends.

Waterit
07-06-2008, 11:48 PM
We actually canceled our summer vacation trip to N. Georgia and Tennessee because of gas situation. Spent the $ on an above-ground pool for the kids instead. We also stay home more than ever before, except of course for work.

This week I have a couple of days where I wish I could get paid by the mile (expect to put on over 500 in my truck alone, rack truck pulling trencher probably get 250+/-).

Saw RedWings post about trucks - would anyone think me mad for considering HORSES?:laugh:

geardriven
07-07-2008, 12:30 AM
Diesel here as well. I travel frequently between MI, OH, PA, IN, IL, MO and KY. (I work for a manuf., but I'm not allowed to say due to not being a sponsor here). I could fly but that eats up too much time and I'd rather have my own vehicle. I've seen diesel anywhere from $4.65-$4.99/gal. It's made me consider running vegetable oil. I just don't have the time to resource and refine it. I hear guys are running refined vege oil at .79/gal.
Atleast $120 to fill. The $75 at the pump shut off is annoying!

Anyone notice the petty theft in the retail stores skyrocketing as well?

txgrassguy
07-07-2008, 05:31 PM
I know with the higher fuel prices I am turning away a lot of routine grounds mowing contracts. Clients do not want to pay the prices necessary for the work to be marginally profitable - so now I am concentrating on landscape/hardscape projects.
Just started a $32K raised patio project and am finishing the design for a lake front retaining wall about 11' high with a lateral run of over 110'.
Doing the irrigation adapting on the patio and the full irrigation install on the big wall too.
If I can get my freaking camera to work I'll snap pics of the crappy irrigation install that requires relocation from under the planned patio.

Mike Leary
07-07-2008, 05:54 PM
crappy irrigation install

As Peter says, "we like pics of crappy stuff".