PDA

View Full Version : Advice on controller

rockee
07-06-2008, 05:46 PM
I'm looking to the pros here for some help. Installing an irrigation system, have received a few quotes, and narrowed it down to one installer,

I think system is fairly complex, with drip, mist, and rotor zones - 15 zones.

First question. Installer is proposing Hunter PC 15 (PC 300i as controller with 9 and 3 zone modules). Is this a decent one or are there better?

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-06-2008, 06:00 PM
I'm looking to the pros here for some help. Installing an irrigation system, have received a few quotes, and narrowed it down to one installer,

I think system is fairly complex, with drip, mist, and rotor zones - 15 zones.

First question. Installer is proposing Hunter PC 15 (PC 300i as controller with 9 and 3 zone modules). Is this a decent one or are there better?

Everybody has their favorite. Your ability to operate and take full advantage of its functions to use your system properly is more important than the controller brand you choose.

Having said that I use the Weathermatic Smartline with the weather monitor. It uses ET based watering and if set properly removes the homeowner from making too many watering decisions. Hunter has an ET system that can be attached to your controller I think.

Good luck

Wet_Boots
07-06-2008, 06:23 PM
15 zones is an awful lot (I'd probably have to use more than one valve box :)) ~ I might consider throwing a few more dollars at it, and use a Hunter ICC, and that way, you aren't maxed out on zones.

Bigred350
07-06-2008, 06:34 PM
Its hard to beat a rainbird Lx series modular controller. Its very easy to operate.

b121774
07-06-2008, 06:43 PM
The Pro-C is an excellent controller. I always lean toward installing them if the customer will pay for it, but 15 zones is MAX so if you think you might ever need more, get the ICC which goes up to 48 zones. The price difference for a pro-c with 15 stations and an icc with one 8 station module to make it 16 station is a very little, about $70 wholesale.

rockee
07-06-2008, 08:30 PM
15 zones is an awful lot (I'd probably have to use more than one valve box :)) ~ I might consider throwing a few more dollars at it, and use a Hunter ICC, and that way, you aren't maxed out on zones.

I'm new to this, and trying to learn as much as I can, so please excuse my beginner question. You're referring to "using more than one valve box". I assume that each zone has a valve. Should each valve be in a separate box - 15 valves, 15 boxes? Which are the best valves? Weathermatic, Irritrol, Rainbird, Hunter?

TPendagast
07-06-2008, 08:58 PM
he was being sarcastic about one valve box.

you can get 1-4 valves per valve box depending on set up (although Ive seen up to 7 in one valve box in what Ive "affectionately called" Valve condos!... i opened the darn thing and almost screamed, then I found four more set ups on the same property and I just went home for the day!)

rockee
07-06-2008, 09:03 PM
he was being sarcastic about one valve box.

you can get 1-4 valves per valve box depending on set up (although Ive seen up to 7 in one valve box in what Ive "affectionately called" Valve condos!... i opened the darn thing and almost screamed, then I found four more set ups on the same property and I just went home for the day!)

So, a few more questions, if you don't mind.

No more than 4 valves /box? What determines how many / box? Location of zones?

Should the boxes be buried below surface, under mulch, or should they be above ground?

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-06-2008, 09:15 PM
So, a few more questions, if you don't mind.

No more than 4 valves /box? What determines how many / box? Location of zones?

Should the boxes be buried below surface, under mulch, or should they be above ground?

These are questions for your installer. A-1 and Rotar live close by you maybe they can guide you as to the way it is done in your area. In TX we like one valve per 6" box scattered all through the landscape. I suspect you are getting a poly system being installed by a plow.

rockee
07-06-2008, 09:34 PM
These are questions for your installer. A-1 and Rotar live close by you maybe they can guide you as to the way it is done in your area. In TX we like one valve per 6" box scattered all through the landscape. I suspect you are getting a poly system being installed by a plow.

I know the installer can answer these questions, but I am looking for independent opinions. Unfortunately, installers may do what is "easy" and the least costly for them, but may not be the best for the client.

By poly, do you mean PVC? Yes. Plow, do you mean a "ditch-witch"? Tyere will be some rotors and mist heads, but the majority of the system will be drip since there are quite a few beds, and want to be efficient and economical in watering the shrubs. This will be installed by hand, and it seems like will be very labor intensive.

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-06-2008, 09:42 PM
I know the installer can answer these questions, but I am looking for independent opinions. Unfortunately, installers may do what is "easy" and the least costly for them, but may not be the best for the client.

By poly, do you mean PVC? Yes. Plow, do you mean a "ditch-witch"? Tyere will be some rotors and mist heads, but the majority of the system will be drip since there are quite a few beds, and want to be efficient and economical in watering the shrubs. This will be installed by hand, and it seems like will be very labor intensive.

Once again I'm going to defer to the local opinions in your area. Big difference between TX irrigation and MA irrigation.

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-06-2008, 09:59 PM
This site will really give you a good understanding of basic irrigation.

http://www.irrigationtutorials.com/

TPendagast
07-06-2008, 10:23 PM
I ran a business in New England for years, I was born and grew up there.

A plow means a vibratory plow an yes thats a ditch witch, or a dingo or a vermmer but the same thing basically.

A vibratory plow is used to not disturb the labdscape so much and is the best when there is an established landscape that is getting a sprinkler system.

Unfortunately in With New England Potatoes, ie rocks thw vibe plow is often hard to use.

Installer might use a trencher or a plow, i might lean towards a trencher is Mass.

Not necessarily "no more than 4" valves per box...there is standard, jumbo, 10", 6".... lots a choices.
Most commonly you will see valves in banks of three or four together in whats called a manifold.

But you can find on or two at a time as well.

I like to put the drip valve in its own standard vavle box the long way so you can reach and service everything.
But Ive see the valve in a 6" round and the rest of it accessible through an adjacent filter.

It worked too

b121774
07-06-2008, 10:23 PM
Better to have 3 or 4 larger valve boxes having 4 valves each than to have 15 small boxes all over the property to find later down the road that have been overgrown with sod or shrubs or weeds. Hate trying to find a valve thats 'lost' in an old landscape.

Waterit
07-06-2008, 11:32 PM
Its hard to beat a rainbird Lx series modular controller. Its very easy to operate.

I might consider throwing a few more dollars at it, and use a Hunter ICC, and that way, you aren't maxed out on zones.

I use the Weathermatic Smartline with the weather monitor.

Weathermatic SL1600 expandable to up to 16 zones, or you can go with the SL4800, up to 48 zones.

Comes down to your druthers, Hunter, Rainbird, or Weathermatic all quality controllers.

AI Inc
07-07-2008, 05:33 AM
Pro c is a great clock. I install them all the time , but that being said Ill have to agree with the others. Being maxed from the start I would go with an ICC in that situation. The both run the same , have the same features, its just the ammount of zones.
The layout of your lawn will usualy determine how many valves in a box. Big square areas you will usualy see 4-6 valves per box, long skinny ( as in along a real long driveway) you will have 1-2 valves per box. Ditch witch is a vibratory plow and that is the norm for around here. Poly pipe is also the norm.

Call Bisco ( boston irrigation supply ) . They are in Dedham and ask them about the contractor. Is he reliable, does he pay his bill. He shoul;d have an account there as they would be his closest supplier and they are competative. If he doesnt have an account there there is a reason for it.