PDA

View Full Version : Mower price negotiation

South Florida Lawns
07-06-2008, 09:39 PM
Tomorrow I'm gonna go look at a Stander, and I was wondering if you can get a dealer to come down in price like when buying a car? When I bought my toro z master all I really did was call around to find the best price. I was kinda dumb going in to it back then. I know you can haggle on ATVs's, dirt bikes and cars but what about lawn equipment?

STIHL GUY
07-06-2008, 10:26 PM
i think theres a little room for haggling

Jason Rose
07-06-2008, 10:36 PM
I wish I knew how to haggle! Every time I try to offer a lower price they just give me the poker face look and tell me they can't do it. I never even get much of a break on used equipment.

razor1
07-06-2008, 10:38 PM
How bad do you need/want it? Don't buy until we here the numbers, someone on LS may have worked a better deal. :nono:

DuallyVette
07-06-2008, 10:43 PM
I wish I knew how to haggle! Every time I try to offer a lower price they just give me the poker face look and tell me they can't do it. I never even get much of a break on used equipment.

Don't look so excited when your looking a machine:clapping:
Act like your considering a couple of other machines.
Mention the crappy economy
Check other dealers prices....even if they're not in your area. Use the price to negotiate.

South Florida Lawns
07-07-2008, 02:38 PM
Yeah I kinda know how to haggle a little bit now, ya know let them hear that you have many options open, i.e. brands and other dealers. But still I just aint firm enough at the end. But now I'm gonna try the walk out the door method when they don't give me the price I want.

I'll get some prices together for you guys, but I really want to hear from the FL boys cuz the rest of the countries prices are all out of wack.

mowerbrad
07-07-2008, 05:33 PM
When you go to buy the equipment find out how much it is before you go. Once you find out bring cash, have a little less than what they are asking for it. When you talk to the dealer while purchasing and he says the price, you can then say that you can only go as high as $X and make sure to mention that you will pay in cash. It has worked for me in the past. Usually they will go down a couple hundred dollars if they do.

DBL
07-07-2008, 05:40 PM
there really wasnt much room at the beginning of the season when we bought a new one they are more or less prices like when buying trimmers or blowers

dura to the max
07-07-2008, 06:02 PM
ive always been blessed w/ dealers that will negotiate. make a ridiculous low offer and work to the middle. i buy almost all used though, but you still ought to be able to get some $$$ off.

topsites
07-07-2008, 07:31 PM
I even suspect a dealer allows for haggling and I'm going elsewhere, and
thanks for making me think I was getting a good deal, but no thanks.

ed2hess
07-07-2008, 09:47 PM
Just keep in mind that the guy you are haggling down may be the guy you need real bad to get your unit up and running or more importantly to fix some thorny problem later. Pay the money like a man and go cut grass.

Wayne's Lawn Service
07-08-2008, 09:39 AM
Before going in and hammering on your dealer for a cheaper price, what is one of the biggest complaints most talk about on this site?

Answer - People beating on you over price!

So before you hammer on your equipment dealer, think about how well you like it. Is it more important to beat your dealer up and save a few dollars, or to have a dealer you can count on for parts, service and equipment?

To me, it's the latter. Let your equipment dealer make a fair profit so they will be there for you when you need them. I know most of us think those guys are rolling in the money. When in reality, they are trying to make a living too.

Think about it!

bohiaa
07-08-2008, 05:37 PM
OMG you guys.......

I am the Master at this....

I swear I never pay retail.....

when I went to purchase another exmark. it was prices at 9,000 and some change.

I informed the salesman that we would START at 8,000.00

then we would TRY to agree on a price......

BUT........ Be ready to walk......

I walked out with a 60" for 7,200 and some change.....

J.A.G LAWNCARE
07-08-2008, 07:54 PM
OMG you guys.......

I am the Master at this....

I swear I never pay retail.....

when I went to purchase another exmark. it was prices at 9,000 and some change.

I informed the salesman that we would START at 8,000.00

then we would TRY to agree on a price......

BUT........ Be ready to walk......

I walked out with a 60" for 7,200 and some change.....

To bad the price on that mower was only $6,000 better luck next time :cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2:

freshprince94
07-08-2008, 08:47 PM
Dealers are tightwads down here, but there is a little room to haggle.

dura to the max
07-08-2008, 10:32 PM
To bad the price on that mower was only $6,000 better luck next time :cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2:

please explain.

palmetto 1
07-08-2008, 11:33 PM
I Looked At A 2005 Model Jd 737 23hp Kaw Engine 60'' Cut With 124hrs On It Dealer Wanted 5500.00 Is This A Good Buy.

George Mason
07-09-2008, 12:21 AM
I don't know if I would call it haggling, but I got my first mower this summer and we started at $5,499 and ended up at $5,299. The only other Ferris dealer near me got offended when I even asked so I just let them alone, their reaction told me enough about them. I wouldn't hesitate to say that the mark-up on a mower isn't what it is on a car or truck so don't expect them to come down thousands of dollars but I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't reasonable to get them down a few hundred dollars and still have some dignity. Good luck.

milkie62
07-09-2008, 12:36 AM
Do you allow your customers to haggle with your price ? Why try to haggle with a dealer ? He is just trying to make the same buck that you are.....

George Mason
07-09-2008, 09:54 AM
When a customer tells me they will pay X I suppose I could either take it, leave it, or make a counter offer. I see the point that people need to make money but when did we start getting away from a market economy here, it's part of the beauty of this great country isn't it?:usflag:

J.A.G LAWNCARE
07-09-2008, 10:31 AM
please explain.

he didnt get a $9000 MOWER for $7200 just saying he got a mower worth what he paid , dealers are not given them away..................:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:
he thinks he got a good deal so that is good:laugh::laugh:

South Florida Lawns
07-09-2008, 11:40 AM
Do you allow your customers to haggle with your price ? Why try to haggle with a dealer ? He is just trying to make the same buck that you are.....

Although similar, those are two totally different things that you really cant compare.

milkie62
07-09-2008, 03:07 PM
I know one guy that is an expensive contractor.He does do good work and I am friends with him.I introduced him to a super auto mechanic that will work cash deals on big jobs.Well anyway my contractor friend thinks he is the best at everything,wants everyone to bow to him and will give nobody any breaks.He takes his truck to my auto buddy for a big repair and tries to chiesel down the price.Well my auto buddy says OK how about you help me do some replacement windows in return.Contractor buddy says you cannot afford me.What a slap in the face to auto buddy who did him a HUGE favor.My only point is that some people think that they are infallible.Long story short contractor buddy has to take his diesel to dealer now and pay big bucks for all repairs instead of working things out with auto buddy.

dura to the max
07-09-2008, 11:17 PM
Before going in and hammering on your dealer for a cheaper price, what is one of the biggest complaints most talk about on this site?

Answer - People beating on you over price!

So before you hammer on your equipment dealer, think about how well you like it. Is it more important to beat your dealer up and save a few dollars, or to have a dealer you can count on for parts, service and equipment?

To me, it's the latter. Let your equipment dealer make a fair profit so they will be there for you when you need them. I know most of us think those guys are rolling in the money. When in reality, they are trying to make a living too.

Think about it!

i usually bid high to start w/ anyway. if they take it GREAT, if not i have a decent amount of wiggle room. they aint giving these mowers away, but if they let you think you got a good deal then great, and you DID save SOME money, it just isnt the steal you thought it was. but you both come out good on the deal. if they dont want to negotiate, fine. would you go to a used car lot and buy the first truck you liked and not make an offer? probably not. haggle and get the best deal possible, the dealer wants your business and has some room to do so, he aint going to take a loss, and he's is going to make as much as possible.

milkie62
07-10-2008, 12:02 AM
I have been doing good on hedge trimming lately.Did one house on a corner of a busy street.That turned up another customer 3 houses away and just yesterday turned another word of mouth customer.Now if I can do these 3 people on an early Saturday morning I can pickup an easy $200 by noon.

George Mason
07-10-2008, 12:04 AM
That's right on. I should have made the point earlier that no manufacture of any good, in this case lawn equipment, goes out and buys the needed raw materials without sending out for, negotiating, and finally accepting bids (usually the lowest) from suppliers and even then they re-negotiate and haggle every time the contract is up or near up and move new to new suppliers if need be.

The very same goes for the retailers that some people say not to haggle/negotiate with. Dealers are always negotiating with the manufactures, that's why they push one company's product one year and another's the next or even one month to the next if they get a hold of a good deal, ultimately the price they get from the manufacture is the greatest impact on their profit sheet and the more customers that come in and buy without question the better it is for them. Heck, over the years retailers will drop certain lines and brands and nine times out of ten it's because they couldn't agree on the money, the cost of equipment for the retailer, but they'll say it was because X,Y, or Z and never remind the customer that they are paying a lot less than what they are selling for. Dealers won't sell for any less than they want to, and that's the bottom line, no different than anyone on this board and their service. Like I said, it is the definition of a market economy. :usflag:

dura to the max
07-10-2008, 12:06 AM
I have been doing good on hedge trimming lately.Did one house on a corner of a busy street.That turned up another customer 3 houses away and just yesterday turned another word of mouth customer.Now if I can do these 3 people on an early Saturday morning I can pickup an easy $200 by noon.

$200 working all morning, fuel, cleanup and dumping. hmmmm. id sleep in.

dura to the max
07-10-2008, 12:08 AM
That's right on. I should have made the point earlier that no manufacture of any good, in this case lawn equipment, goes out and buys the needed raw materials without sending out for, negotiating, and finally accepting bids (usually the lowest) from suppliers and even then they re-negotiate and haggle every time the contract is up or near up and move new to new suppliers if need be.

The very same goes for the retailers that some people say not to haggle/negotiate with. Dealers are always negotiating with the manufactures, that's why they push one company's product one year and another's the next or even one month to the next if they get a hold of a good deal, ultimately the price they get from the manufacture is the greatest impact on their profit sheet and the more customers that come in and buy without question the better it is for them. Heck, over the years retailers will drop certain lines and brands and nine times out of ten it's because they couldn't agree on the money, the cost of equipment for the retailer, but they'll say it was because X,Y, or Z and never remind the customer that they are paying a lot less than what they are selling for. Dealers won't sell for any less than they want to, and that's the bottom line, no different than anyone on this board and their service. Like I said, it is the definition of a market economy. :usflag:

absolutely right! couldnt have said it better. if i could type id probably have said somethig similar

milkie62
07-10-2008, 12:10 AM
I am happy with $50/hr for trimming hedges.

George Mason
07-10-2008, 12:11 AM
What do you all recommend I purchase when it comes time to get a hedge trimmer. My trimmer (Stihl FS 90) will take a hedge trimmer attachment, and my man (dealer) said it was just a matter of preference. Any advice/thoughts?

milkie62
07-10-2008, 12:13 AM
I sometimes laugh at some of the hunting shows.One year xyz has the best next year nothing has really changed in product lines and now abc has the best.Whatever sponsor puts up the most cash wins.

dura to the max
07-10-2008, 12:14 AM
personally i like the hs series (chain saw type) pruners. but the extended reach machines do have their perks