PDA

View Full Version : Removing stones/gravel from soil for seeding

CK82
07-06-2008, 11:27 PM
I recently removed a gravel driveway (3/4" crushed limetone, with some 3" clear stone) and will need to prep the area for seeding. There is a decent amount of gravel mixed in with the soil. I skimmed off the road gravel and then excavated about 8", turning the soil to mix in the left behind gravel. I am not sure whether I need a Harley rake, or a Rock hound in order to prep this area for seeding? Please give me some suggestions for removing at least some of the remainging rock and prepping the soil.

Thanks Chris

White Gardens
07-07-2008, 02:04 AM
Get a landscapers rake/ garden rake and try to get as much as possible. Your rake should go down deep enough to get the worst of the rock in the initial seed zone.

I've seen sod laid right on top of gravel and it grows. (with watering of course)

If you get the worst of it, you should be in good shape.

Can you still skim more off and replace with good black soil, or is that too much more cost ?? Sometimes I feel it's a good idea, considering it has been a driveway for years, and I'm sure a few leaky vehicles have sat there at one time or another.

CK82
07-07-2008, 11:07 AM
I was going to bring in some topsoil as well. Should I rough grade some additional topsoil and then use the landscape rake? I would assume that would be the way to go.

Chris

White Gardens
07-07-2008, 12:01 PM
If you think that you have gotten the worst of it, then I wouldn't worry too much about it. I just try to make sure there is more dirt than rocks so your grass will root into it good.If you bring in topsoil then you should be good to go. Just grade, till, rake and seed/sod.

mybowtie
07-07-2008, 01:27 PM
If your bringing in some topsoil, I would think the harley rake would work the best............:usflag: