PDA

View Full Version : My First Paver Walkway. Pictures, Questions, & more

merrimacmill
07-07-2008, 01:43 AM
Well, I started my first paver walkway project today. There was already a walkway in place, so I started to remove it and dig out the area of the new walkway. There is no cement dust, or gravel pack here, just dirt. The walkway that was there, was no done right.

I've been reading up for quite sometime on this, and have done related, small projects. I have also watched it been done many times, but this is the first "serious" one I've done.

The walkways will be six feet wide, with a 10 foot circle pack at the turn. One walkway will flair out, and blend into the circle patio, while the other blends out of the circle patio, and into the stairs.

A couple questions I have are, so far I've dug down more than a foot and I'm still on mostly rocky loam. I've heard that I should always dig past the loam, and place the gravel pack on more sandy soil. Is this true?

Also, what should I use for fabric in between the dirt and gravel pack? Will just reg. weed fabric do alright?

Heres some pictures so far, any constructive critisism, suggestions, or tips are much appriciated. I'm going to finish digging, and start laying the gravel pack tomorrow, hopefully start the circle. I plan on getting that done first, then laying out the walkways.

For pavers I'm going to use EuroPath Toulon in an antique gold color, with a slate gray boarder.

Remember, in these pictures I'm not nearly done digging, which would explain the unevenness of the whole thing.

PlatinumLandCon
07-07-2008, 09:17 AM
I'm not sure about the soil part, up here its alllll clay. As for the fabric, NEVER use weed fabric. Its plain useless. Use a WOVEN geotextile fabric (looks like tarp material and frays at the end when cut). This fabric is for separation and support of your base material and prevents it from shifting and migrating into the sub grade.

Make a little blueprint type drawing and post it and we'll help you with design, maybe there's a simpler way to achieve what you want or a different technique you could use. Good luck with everything, keep us updated!

merrimacmill
07-10-2008, 12:26 AM
Well finished it up today. Now I just need to put in the poly sand, and then do the mulching, etc.. I think I got my idea to flow pretty nicely using the border. Seemed a bit involved for my first walkway, but came out alright i'd say. Opinions? Heres some pictures I thought I'd share.

merrimacmill
07-10-2008, 12:27 AM
heres a couple more

Even Cut Lawn Care
07-10-2008, 08:42 PM
Workmanship looks good...What are the dimensions? Looks kind big for a walkway but nice design!!

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES
07-10-2008, 09:49 PM
looks good. i just hope that those excavation pics are not where you stopped. You have only excavated about 4-5" down and you need to be about another 3" from that for proper base thickness.

JimmyStew
07-10-2008, 09:55 PM
Looks awesome except...my eye is drawn to the inside border around the circle.

On the outside edge, you brought the border to the circle and then use the circle as the border, but on the inside, you continued the border course. I would have mimicked what you did on that outer edge. Otherwise it looks great. Your cuts have a nice line and I really like the wideness. Seems like people always want to put narrow walks to their front door. Why not make it wide and welcoming.

AztlanLC
07-10-2008, 10:12 PM
Did you put the edge retrain on top of your bedding material?

PlatinumLandCon
07-10-2008, 10:53 PM
Edge looks like its on the bedding sand, thats no good. Also, we need more specs on excavation and base prep. cuts look great, design is very nice.

Diamond Dave
07-10-2008, 10:53 PM
Looks great! Just wondering why you didn't widen the walk around the circle to have a complete soldier course on the walkway?

merrimacmill
07-11-2008, 02:57 AM
Thanks for the compliments guys.

I'll try my best to answer any questions, if I miss one just remind me.

1. About the base and excavation, I excavated 14 to 16 inches down. I then compacted the subgrade, put down geo textile fabric, put in 2 inches of gravel pack, compacted it using a 1550. I did this every 2 inches till I was at the right height. Then I used 1 inch conduit pipe routine and put down the cement dust. Then I placed the pavers, not walking on any of them (unless on a piece of plywood while laying other pavers), after that I roughly swept the poly sand around and then compacted with the 1550. Then I did the final sweep and sprayed it down.

2. Reason for the design; I wanted to originally do a pattern with no straight lines going down it. But I got the feeling that with the straight lines heading right for the door it kind of felt more "welcoming".

I also thought about taking the soldier course around the circle, but then I felt like it would make the circle look almost oval shaped, and the walkway is 7.5 feet wide, which is the exact width of the steps. So to keep a "natural look" I didn't feel that I could widen it any.

As to the soldier course going around the turn on the inside, I really wanted to do that because I think that subconsiously it helps draw someone around the corner since it just "flows" and seems more inviting. I know people know where to go, its not like its a maze, but I think that thinking of someone's subconscious reaction to the lines would help make a good design. My goal was to try my best to use a lot of curves and make the thing just "flow" right to the door.

3. The Dimensions; The circle is 9.5 feet in diameter, and the walkway is 7.5 feet wide, one section being about 15 feet long, the other being 19 feet long (if I'm remembering correctly, not exactly sure on the lengths).

I put the edging on top of the bedding sand because thats what I've always seen done, and I used it to help make my shapes. Not questioning that its a bad idea, but what is the proper way of doing it and how come?

Thanks again, and if anyone has any tips let me know.

I'll get some better pictures up once its all cleaned up with the mulch and everything.

ANC Stone Creations
07-15-2008, 01:55 AM
I think for your first time it turned out sweet.

I have done some close to what you have done with a bubbling dished rock in the center of the circle path, when you hear the water it is very inviting.

Here are some of the types I have used.

shethinksmytractors_sexy
07-15-2008, 10:10 PM
good work!! nice cuts

shovelracer
07-15-2008, 11:12 PM
I beg to differ. Altough it turned out pretty good, there are many flaws in the cuts. There are "wedgies" in the soldier course instead of cutting the full size stones. Many small slivers in the ends in various places. Pattern isnt really a good choice for the running bonds. More of an issue with heavy traffic areas, but it makes poor interlock and they tend to walk on you. Other suggestions where pretty much right on. It looks like its your house so I wont complain about the demo mess. I do like the stairs, they fit the well. Good stone choice, color fits well, and lines are pretty straight. Mainly work on the cuts and try not to use small pieces.

Lite4
07-15-2008, 11:23 PM
Nice job for your first one. I have seen guys that have done it for years that don't do that good of a job. I like the granite steps. The pavers seem to tie in nicely.

merrimacmill
07-16-2008, 12:27 AM
I beg to differ. Altough it turned out pretty good, there are many flaws in the cuts. There are "wedgies" in the soldier course instead of cutting the full size stones. Many small slivers in the ends in various places. Pattern isnt really a good choice for the running bonds. More of an issue with heavy traffic areas, but it makes poor interlock and they tend to walk on you. Other suggestions where pretty much right on. It looks like its your house so I wont complain about the demo mess. I do like the stairs, they fit the well. Good stone choice, color fits well, and lines are pretty straight. Mainly work on the cuts and try not to use small pieces.

Ya, it is my house. Moved in and the whole yard is a disaster, so I've been slowly getting around to working on it. (you all know how that goes. the cobblers kids don't have shoes) I ripped out all that stuff in between the house and walkway, got a few nice boulders and set them yesterday. Now I just need to do the planting and mulching there.

Anyways, what would you suggest using instead of the little pieces? I was trying to follow the pattern and just make the pieces fit and I need to have the small little pieces to complete the curves I wanted. Also, how could I improve the soldier course?

NJ_Whit
07-16-2008, 08:26 AM
Not sure if you did this but I make sure to get the base to extend at least 6 inches past your finished product. Using 4 inch edging it gives you an extra 2 inches outside of your edging so that your soldier or sailor course NEVER fails. We've all seen the situation where the soldier course fails over time and then it's fixed with the mortor along the edge of the soldiers.... yuk !!!!

The reason "NOT" to put your edging on the sand is because you run the risk of having rain getting between the edge of the soldier course and the edging which a lot of times will wash the sand out from under the edging causing the soldier course to settle that 1 inch to the aggregate and then you have the failure on the soldier course. Pretty good for your first one though thumbs up !!!

PlatinumLandCon
07-16-2008, 07:04 PM
Here's a little picture to help with curves in a soldier course. Trim off the red and they all fit like a glove.

AztlanLC
07-16-2008, 07:23 PM
Sorry but cutting one side of the paver makes it look as bad as when you cut little pieces.
Cut both sides every other paver. or every paver on really tight curves

amscapes03
07-17-2008, 12:05 AM
When i use a Circle-Pak in a walkway it's for two reasons: a) i want to give a nice accent to the overall job, or b) because i need it to get me out of a jam (i.e. multiple walkways heading in different directions). I don't want the Circle-Pak to dominate the look of the walkway, and i never let it dictate the width of the walkway. The soldier course (6' x 9" in your case i think) should continue around the C-P, not dead end into it. Just because they give you enough to make a 10' circle doesn't mean you need to use them all. Use the C-P to your advantage. For your first install, i think you did a great job.

Sunscaper
07-22-2008, 03:10 PM
Very nice work.

PerfiCut L&L
07-22-2008, 09:53 PM
Looks very nice, especially for a first timer. You can tell you paid attention to some of the details. Hold on to those patience, a lot guys I have seen that have been doing this for years now, have tried to find ways to rush it. Sometimes you cant tell, but other times you can. On your job, you can tell the time was used wisely.

I like the layout and the design. The width is perfect. I replaced my standard concrete walkway with nice 4' wide paver walk last year. The curves really soften things up too. The mulch will give it that finished look.

The only thing I would have probably done, is where the walkway meets the driveway, I would have flared it out some. Again, the rounded borders here would visually help with the transition from the driveway to the walkway.

Otherwise great job.

PatriotLandscape
07-23-2008, 07:56 PM
16 inches on a walkway! damn they could park a tank on that thing. looks great.