PDA

View Full Version : interesting topic

greenmonster304
07-07-2008, 07:11 AM
this is in the lawn mowing section check it out if you havent allready.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=237388

AI Inc
07-07-2008, 07:14 AM
I was reading that 1. In my eyes the customer pays for it.

greenmonster304
07-07-2008, 07:22 AM
i agree its the customers problem and also the lawn guy sholdn't fix it unless irrigation is part of the services they offer.

Wet_Boots
07-07-2008, 08:05 AM
I can understand why a lawncutter would want to replace heads on their own, but I wonder how many of them would have any Toro stream rotor heads to work with. My guarantees don't allow for repairs by others.

Waterit
07-07-2008, 04:03 PM
We repair for 4 lawn maintenance companies - enough that I haven't had to mow my own lawn in 2 years!

Every one of these companies take responsibility for fixing what they break. 2 of them carry an assortment of heads and parts, and will at least do a temporary quickie repair. ALL of their crew chiefs have instructions (from their employers) to fax us a work order at the end of each day if there is something needing repair. And I invoice the mowers, who can either turn it over to their client for reimbursement or eat it - the LCO's pay me, not the HO's. One of the companies charges these repairs back to the mowing crew as a reduction in their Christmas bonus.

Whew! Having said all that I can't believe it led to 7+ pages of posts over on the mowing side...

Mike Leary
07-07-2008, 04:24 PM
I never let anyone repair my stuff, flag it, call , step up and take the hit if you did it.

txgrassguy
07-07-2008, 05:11 PM
I have had more than one install warranty voided by another LCO crew and/or customer.
Last one was on an install only three months ago - mowing crew broke off a rotor out of a body. Apparently the mowing crew decided to mow around the head while it was emitting water as the homeowner decided to reprogram the start and run time. When the LCO employee went to dig up the head to replace it their foreman/dipwad tells the customer that my swing joint wasn't a good idea, replaces the swing joint with a length of solid pipe, breaks the lateral in the process then quits trying to repair it.
Homeowner calls me, I look at it and tell them the charge to repair the damage, homeowner freaks so I walk.
I heard some rumbling from the local CoC people and explain what occurred. Rumbling stopped, home owner paid me for the repair and understands now why the warranty for the entire system had been voided.
Funny thing is my irrigation install crew was working less than one mile away, homeowner could of called the office and I would of sent my foreman there and the problem would have been solved that day.

Mike Leary
07-07-2008, 05:23 PM
home owner paid me for the repair and understands now why the warranty for the entire system had been voided.

Yup, screw with our stuff, you just bought it, for the second time.

bblawncare
07-07-2008, 08:05 PM
All of my lawn customers have existing systems-most of them pretty old. When they have pop ups that no longer go down I notify them and see if they want me, someone else, or themselves to replace them. I explain that I cannot be responsible for the heads that remain in the up position-especially in the summer when the grass is so tall I cannot see them. If I use my edger before I mow, I will tap down the ones I see with my foot. But sometimes I mow first-in which case "mower blight" usually afflicts those poor sprinklers.
Usually, the customer has me change them, but I have a few who do it themselves. I do have one guy who keeps replacing the nozzles that I shave off from time to time-but he won't replace the head.:hammerhead:

Mike Leary
07-07-2008, 08:10 PM
Re-read your post..time to become full service. :)

bblawncare
07-07-2008, 08:14 PM
Re-read your post..time to become full service.

You mean my post? If so, I do NOT want to mow grass anymore. I am working toward eventually doing irrigation only. Far too many expenses in mowing...I have already shed 2 full days of mowing this season, and may be ready to eliminate more very soon.:clapping:

Mike Leary
07-07-2008, 08:18 PM
You mean my post? If so, I do NOT want to mow grass anymore. I am working toward eventually doing irrigation:

Hang in there.

bblawncare
07-07-2008, 08:42 PM
Thanks-I've got a lot to learn, but I am no longer afraid to try things that in the past I would have avoided and that sure has helped me learn a ton more. And if I screw up, I own up to it and accept responsibility. If I get involved with something I do not understand, I do all I can to gain the understanding-books, LawnSite, internet, irrigation supplier...Its so great to use my brain-mowing grass is so mind numbing...:sleeping:

bblawncare
07-07-2008, 08:44 PM
....although, I sure enjoy my ipod while I am mowing!!:dancing:

Waterit
07-07-2008, 09:30 PM
And if I screw up, I own up to it and accept responsibility.

That's the theme of this whole thread in one sentence.