PDA

View Full Version : ideas for creating sales during the heat of summer

Springmeadows
07-07-2008, 08:49 AM
My wife and I opened a small garden supply this Spring and have done real well up intil the heat of summer. We could use some ideas for created sales during the summer heat.

We currently offer the following services: annual & perenial flowers, shrubs, trees, small container gardens and planters, bulk mulch & topsoil, complete lawn care, retaining wall construction (NCMA certified), paver construction, tree care (microinjection) and lawn spraying (fully licensed and insured).

We have done press releases, radio spots, Saturday events like free hotdogs and giveaways and that has helped some but still the summer is really slow. I'm just trying to get some other ideas for bringing people in.

We are thinking that maybe nurseries and garden centers are just slow in the summer and pick back up in the Fall. What is your experience?

allinearth
07-07-2008, 09:02 AM
I have yet to really boost sales when the time is not right. Seems people will only buy when they feel right. I recently had a sale and sold very few sale items but other items sold as usual. I would also be interested to hear what has worked for others.

Dean of Green
07-08-2008, 05:38 PM
If you can find a local farmer that would like to sell his produce at your location that might generate more traffic. Just a thought.

jglawnmowing
07-10-2008, 01:32 PM
I agree with Dean of Green. My town has a "Farmers Market" in our downtown district that has a lot of people that attend this event. Here is a link to the website for it http://www.owba.net/farmers_index.htm. The place that I buy my landscape supplies from offers several class a year about planning landscape projects, usually weeknights and Saturday mornings and early afternoon. They go over how to plan, budget, and find a quality contractor to do the install for them. This place contains a list of local guys that do lawn mowing, mulch, and landscape items. It works out well for them. The contractors buy the material from the company and the company refers work to the contractors. Hope this helps.

Springmeadows
07-12-2008, 10:05 AM
I don't feel that selling produce is the way to go. We have a Farmer's Market that runs every Saturday morning to sell local produce. We have had a couple people wanting to pick up produce at our place simply because there used to be a produce tent on the lot years ago.

I like the idea of doing a class or small event here to help with landscape projects. I am going to be adding a small paver patio, firepit, pergula and permanant sign to the store within the next month. Then I could do a class like lglawnmowing stated to promote our place as the "go to place" here in Murphy.

We are also thinking of entering into a parade or two with a distinguishable float to keep us in the customers mind. But that is a little off in time because there is no parades here until the holidays.

Canon Landscaping
07-13-2008, 12:46 PM
Gas is 4.00 a gallon people are just not buying stuff for their lawn advertising now is a waste of money wait until next spring things will be better hopefully
i guess you don't have many contractors as customer since you are competing with them in lawn mowing and landscaping contractors carry you through the summer because grass mowing slows and they start mulching and landscaping

CkLandscapingOrlando
08-01-2008, 10:57 PM
you could find a healthy sized church or school and donate some land scape work then do a press release. Maybe you could a garden for a school to teach earth science with.These will help your image alot and maybe some free press.I dont think it will boost your summer sales in the short term though

Springmeadows
10-04-2008, 12:51 PM
Between the ailing economy and the drought here I am wondering why I have a store. Sales since June have been less than desirable. How long do I hang on, I have a great spot and lots of promise for next year. What I need is sales this year.

So far 2008 has been a dissapointing year.

BrandonV
10-10-2008, 03:58 PM
david unfortunately here in NC you don't sell plants during the summer, it just doesn't happen. My family has been at this for 78 years now and the summers are always going to be lean. There is just not many people that are going to be working in their yards w/ our summer time temps. You HAVE to make enough money in the fall, winter and spring to hold you through the summer.

Springmeadows
10-11-2008, 02:07 PM
I see now summer is dead, Fall has picked up considerably. Esspecially since a nice day of rain. I don't know if I have made enough to make it through the winter. We had a weak spring season, so our funds are running short. Pumpkin sales have helped so maybe it's gonna turn around.