PDA

View Full Version : Freshly installed St.Augustine lookin' li'l ruff...

Phish
07-07-2008, 11:04 AM
I'm in Spring Tx, where Augustine is King, and recently put 3 pallets down for a customer who has Much shade in their yard, but has grown St.Aug before successfully. I prepped, and through down some root stim.before installation, and one half of the grass in getting pretty brown now, yet the other half is thriving. Is it too early to through on some Hi-Nitro fertilizer to help it along, or maybe some Barry Bonds type of Steroids I can apply for enhancement on the struggling grass? Thanks for any info guys.
Willy
"Wish'n Iuz' Fish'n"

poolboy
07-07-2008, 05:23 PM
St Aug. will not grow in total shade. Sometimes the existing grass can adapted with growing trees. The best St. Augustine for partial shade is Amerishade by Turfgrass America, they handle Reliant stadium.... http://www.turfgrassamerica.com/Product.aspx?ProdID=104

Also, check out Randy Lemmon on 740 AM on the weekend mornings, or his website.. http://www.ktrh.com/pages/gardenline.html

Make sure you check out his fert program and his archives as well. If too much Nitro, you may have killed it, or it's brown patch, or take all. Greeting from The Woodlands.

wildstarblazer
07-07-2008, 10:30 PM
I used to live in fl. st. aug shouldn't need anything but water to get started. Sometimes cinch bugs, grubs are big problems. check the soil see if any there. Sometimes even was bad from the nursery or farm.. shade problems usually don't come for months after install. Keep watering unless you are drowning creating brown patch , thats not good either.

Phish
07-13-2008, 12:10 PM
thanks for the info guys, TG-America has a pretty informative website, I appreciate the information.
willy

grassman83
07-30-2008, 04:31 PM
Pool Boy
Just to clarify Turfgrass America does not handle Reliant Stadiums turf.

Summit L & D
08-01-2008, 09:09 PM
We have had trouble getting St. Augustine to "take" in heavily shaded areas. St. Augustine needs at least 4 hours of direct sunlight to do well. You might try thinning some of the trees that are cover the effected area. Jeremiah at the Turfgrass America (now King Ranch Turf Farms) should be able to help you out if you have any questions. They are right off of 281, pretty close to you. Their number is 830-980-5940.