PDA

View Full Version : Trimmers

Metroman
01-08-2000, 02:30 PM
With all this talk about weed eaters going on i was wondering what type do yall use?<p>i have two Robin's and i have had these for around 5 years, in this time i had to replace 1 head on one. i notice that the city farm workers mostly use Robins where i live and you know how they treat there trimmers. <br>

gene gls
01-08-2000, 02:53 PM
I have 3 Stihl straight shaft,two with plastic blades and one with a Tuff Cut Head for light duty brush.I have 1 Husky heavy duty with Tuff Cut Head for heavy brush.I won't buy another Husky product.The FS74 trimmer is 11 years old and the only problem that I ever had was the exuast screen got cloged because of a bad gas mix.

Eric ELM
01-08-2000, 02:54 PM
If you look at the other Trimmer Thread, 7 of us in a row use Shindaiwa trimmers.<p>----------<br>Eric@ELM<br>http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/index.html

Lazer
01-08-2000, 05:16 PM
You would have a tough time disageeing that Shindiawa's are the best. The only reason we're not using them is because there isn't a dealer in my area. <p>

ZYAL8R
01-08-2000, 06:05 PM
i use shindaiwa T230, the blue limited model.<br>it is great, the only complaint i have is that the kill switched is in a bad position and i hit it on mistake and turn it off while i am working, o well.<br>just change the plug every year. occasionally it wont start because of the plug, maybe i jsut use junky plugs. but whatever. it is good and the price is good and it is lite weight. great buy.<br>ZYAL8R

Eric ELM
01-08-2000, 06:08 PM
My dealer says the best plug for the 2 cycle motors is the Honda plugs, so that is what I use in all my Shindaiwa equipment and have for 6 years. These plugs seem to hold up a lot better.<p>----------<br>Eric@ELM<br>http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/index.html

ZYAL8R
01-08-2000, 06:08 PM
i use shindaiwa T230, the blue limited model.<br>it is great, the only complaint i have is that the kill switched is in a bad position and i hit it on mistake and turn it off while i am working, o well.<br>just change the plug every year. occasionally it wont start because of the plug, maybe i jsut use junky plugs. but whatever. it is good and the price is good and it is lite weight. great buy.<br>ZYAL8R

southside
01-08-2000, 09:47 PM
I use 25cc Shindaiwa for light trimming<br>and Stihl FS106 and FS108 for the land clearing work.The Shindaiwa is nice and light<br>and the Stihl has more power than I know what<br>to do with.

Metroman
01-09-2000, 04:30 AM
it seems like Shinindawa's are the thing to go with! my friend told me that i needed to get one, his would not crank one day (due to minor problem) and used mine. he said that mine was a tank! the only problem that i have is i think the only guy that had them packed up and went to Fl. i will have to do some checking arounding.<p>if you dont mind me asking what did yall pay for your unit? cost is not a problem for a good unit!!!!! just wondering.

docshank
01-09-2000, 06:50 AM
My son and I use Shindaiwas and have had no problems at all. I use the Edgit attachment on one of them, I ordered it from the company when I saw it advertised in PRO magazine. It took a little getting used to but now I find myself reaching for the trimmer with the Edgit head on it all the time. You can trim and edge the lawn with one trimmer at the same time. Fixing to order another Edgit head to go on another of our trimmers so my son and I don't have to fight over the one (ha,ha). The string lasts longer in the trimmer with the Edgit head even if you just trim with it (head acts as an index to keep you from getting too close to a chain link fence etc). Sorry for getting off the subject, we use T230 trimmers (about $250.00).<p>----------<br>Doc Shank<p>

Jason
01-09-2000, 07:02 AM
I just priced out a shindaiwa t270. I can buy one in Spokane Washington for $367.76

Henry
01-14-2000, 04:32 AM
Has anyone tried the Honda 4-stroke trimmers?<br>I'm thinking of buying one but would like some input from someone other than a salesman. If it's anything like thier other motors it will last a long time.

Barkleymut
01-14-2000, 07:20 AM
DocShank, I saw your comments on the Edgeit. I was wondering if there were any disadvantages to the edgeit? Also does it allow the same amount of line to come out before it cuts it off as the standard guard that comes on your trimmer? I thought about buying one but I didn't know much about it. Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

cutntrim
01-14-2000, 09:02 AM
Henry,<p>Werun Shindaiwas but checked out the Hondas. Too heavy and our Honda guy (we've had Honda rear-baggers for years) told us that the Honda trimmers are NOT built by Honda. So don't expect Honda quality.<p>----------<br>Dave in S.Ontario<br>

docshank
01-14-2000, 09:02 AM
Barkleymut, I haven't run across any situations where I thought it was a disadvavtage having the Edgit on my trimmer. But bear in mind I keep another trimmer without the Edgit attachment. I use it for cleaning off ditch banks and areas that have big woody stemmed weeds and brush(usually keep a flail cutter head or brush cutter blade on it). I'm fixing to buy another Shindaiwa and install an Edgit on it also, but I'll always keep at least one trimmer without the Edgit attachment.<p>The Edgit replaces the safety guard that comes with your trimmer. It doesn't have a cutter to cut your line to length. You'll have no problem telling how long your line is by the sound of the line and the load on the motor. The only trick to using the Edgit is getting used to it, which takes very little time. Once you're used to it, it will feel weird trying to use a regular string trimmer head.<p>----------<br>Doc Shank<br>

bob
01-14-2000, 05:34 PM
I have to put my 2 cents in on this topic. I have 3 Shindaiwa T-270's and a LE260 edger. Their built solid as a rock, never any problems, and always start. I'll be ordering a backpack blower(EB630) soon. My main dealer went out of business, so now my closest dealer is about 17 miles away. But I don't have to go there very often. Bob

CLM1
01-15-2000, 08:09 AM
Has/is anyone out there used/using the new Honda 4 stroke. What do you think?

TLBumpus
01-16-2000, 08:49 PM
I have had good luck with Red Max trimmers and blowers.