PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Picking a 34"

mantrep
07-07-2008, 08:58 PM
Currently running about 110 accounts. I have a 52" Grasshopper, (my 3rd machine) about 40 of my accounts have backyards which I service with my faithful 32" toro.

The toro is getting old and a bit worn out. Shes begging to retire. I figure its time to upgrade but I cant go beyond something 34" wide.

My choices are
Exmark
Dixie Chopper
Gravely
Toro
Encore
Im looking for a zero turn or a stand on. (I think Gravely is the only one offering a stand on right now)
Have to choose from only these due to dealer selection. Im starting to look this weekend and want input from anyone which uses

Thanks!

freshprince94
07-07-2008, 10:20 PM
eXmark's Phazer, Dixie Chopper's Silver Eagle, Gravely's 34z, and Toro's 34" are all good.

ffemtmcd
07-07-2008, 10:27 PM
DIXIE - just compare the construction and ease of maintenance

lifetree
07-07-2008, 10:32 PM
Too bad you don't have a Dixon dealer near you ... they have a 34" ZTR, the Black Bear !!

snowjeep
07-07-2008, 10:54 PM
We have a Gravely 34z and love it. Mine is an 06 with the 15hp Kawi and has plenty of power I can't imagine the 17hp Kawi they offer now. Also I was rutting some lawns with the 21x7 tires but I weight 280. But I put on 20X10 4 ply which is a 1/4 in shorter. Rutting all gone but needed to trim gas tank brackets a little when we took psi down to 10. Good luck.

freshprince94
07-08-2008, 11:15 AM
Too bad you don't have a Dixon dealer near you ... they have a 34" ZTR, the Black Bear !!

I don't think that mower works well in the south.

KS_Grasscutter
07-08-2008, 11:19 AM
eXmark's Phazer, Dixie Chopper's Silver Eagle, Gravely's 34z, and Toro's 34" are all good.

I don't think that mower works well in the south.

Dude, have you ever even LOOKED at any of these mowers up close, let alone ran any of them?

mantrep
07-09-2008, 06:28 AM
WOW! Im new to this site and cant believe how quick the responses came in.

Im going test driving on those brands this weekend. Probably buy in the next few weeks. Besides the guy using the Gravely 34Z, anyone using an Exmark Phazer or the Dixie Chopper 34? I heard a few bad things about the quality of the Chopper cut. My main problem is mulching. In FL my machines have to mulch and Im not sure if the Chopper has a mulch kit.

Hmmm...If I got a Chopper then my mowers would be a Hopper and a Chopper!

mowingmark
07-09-2008, 08:47 AM
I have a new Gravely 34z and it is sweet! It has tons of power with the 17 hp Kaw. I would suggest it as I tested all the other mowers. The only thing I can't attest for is longevity.

freshprince94
07-09-2008, 12:51 PM
Dude, have you ever even LOOKED at any of these mowers up close, let alone ran any of them?

I haven't ran these exact mowers, but I have run other mowers from these brands. I have heard good reviews, and I have LCO friends who have good things to say about these mowers. Sorry. I should have stated that "I have heard good things" or "I have heard bad things".

And I have looked at these mowers. I'm actually thinking about demoing the Phazer. I'll post how that turns out.

freshprince94
07-09-2008, 12:54 PM
WOW! Im new to this site and cant believe how quick the responses came in.

Im going test driving on those brands this weekend. Probably buy in the next few weeks. Besides the guy using the Gravely 34Z, anyone using an Exmark Phazer or the Dixie Chopper 34? I heard a few bad things about the quality of the Chopper cut. My main problem is mulching. In FL my machines have to mulch and Im not sure if the Chopper has a mulch kit.

Hmmm...If I got a Chopper then my mowers would be a Hopper and a Chopper!

Dixie has mulching blades to put on. Then, you're just supposed to close the OCDC. The eXmarks I have used and seen cut well on St. Augustine, and there is a mulch kit for the Phazer available (Micro Mulch).

I have heard bad things about the mulching ability of the Dixon blackbear.

S man
07-09-2008, 01:55 PM
Dixie has mulching blades to put on. Then, you're just supposed to close the OCDC. The eXmarks I have used and seen cut well on St. Augustine, and there is a mulch kit for the Phazer available (Micro Mulch).

I have heard bad things about the mulching ability of the Dixon blackbear.

Dixon cannot mulch anywhere near exmark or the others mentioned. Stay away from it.

Mowingman
07-09-2008, 05:13 PM
We sold a lot of Gravely 34" ZTR's at our shop. They have plenty of power to mulch, and, the mulch kit works great. Those who have them love the machines. They are cutting mostly Bermuda and St. Augustine grasses. The cut is very nice with or without the mulch kit.

jbpo
07-11-2008, 12:24 AM
i'm in my 3rd year running an exmark phazer. 19hp is great especially when cutting overgrown st. augustine grass. just make sure you have good dealer support no matter which brand you choose.

Lbilawncare
07-11-2008, 12:37 AM
I have a 34" Dixie Chopper, cuts great (3 blade system, blades overlap "heart" shaped deck) I think that the actual width is more than 34" though, make sure you check into that if you have small gates. I may be selling this machine because it isn't used much, most of our gated customers have moved or are on our other route.

husk1295
07-11-2008, 02:34 AM
I have a 34" Dixie Chopper, cuts great (3 blade system, blades overlap "heart" shaped deck) I think that the actual width is more than 34" though, make sure you check into that if you have small gates. I may be selling this machine because it isn't used much, most of our gated customers have moved or are on our other route.
Yesterday 11:24 PM

I am interested if you are still looking to sell this chopper, pm me if interested.

Zookem
07-11-2008, 10:43 AM

lbi,
Where is Illinois are you located?

jameson
07-11-2008, 11:02 AM
Besides the guy using the Gravely 34Z, anyone using an Exmark Phazer or the Dixie Chopper 34?

We have an eXmark Phazer w/the 44" TriVantage deck (now discontinued). It leaves a superb cut behind in all conditions, though it's prone to clumping and deck packing in wet conditions.