PDA

View Full Version : only wants lawn cut 2/month

Jaysondavislawnservice
07-07-2008, 10:36 PM
this new client I just got a month ago is right across the street from one I do right now weekly. the guy wants me to cut it twice a month the only thing is it needs to be cut weekly do to the raining. It grows just as much as the one across the street that I take care of. If I let it go two weeks it is two long and clumps under the mower and i have to rake it all up. Should I tell him I'm going to mow weekly during season or tell him I no longer want to do it for what he is paying and tell him I will still do it biweekly for double the money.
thanks

lawn crafters
07-07-2008, 10:41 PM
if you charge normally say 35$ weekly then charge 65$ bi weekly and explain to him why the prices are different and tell him he is better off with weekly cutting. you should try to get him into a weekly cut

ffemtmcd
07-07-2008, 10:44 PM
Exactly - Charge higher (especailly if your cleaning up clippings),

Jaysondavislawnservice
07-07-2008, 10:45 PM
he is the type that wants everything for free including lawn care and I'm not sure what he will say but if it dosn't work out I will drop him and see if someone on here will take his lawn over.

dougmartin2003
07-07-2008, 10:49 PM
i tell all of my clients that i put them on a weekly schedule, if it needs cut that week, i cut it. if it doesnt need it, i WILL get cut the next week. if they dont like it then i walk. if it was up to some of the clients they would only have the yard cut whenever the city had to get on to them

ALC-GregH
07-07-2008, 10:50 PM
Don't let him run YOUR business, let HIM know what needs to be done. If he doesn't agree, politely tell him you can no longer maintain his lawn.

dougmartin2003
07-07-2008, 10:54 PM
Don't let him run YOUR business, let HIM know what needs to be done. If he doesn't agree, politely tell him you can no longer maintain his lawn.

i agree 100 percent

Jaysondavislawnservice
07-07-2008, 11:11 PM
i am going to see what he say on weds. and i will go from there

billslawn89
07-07-2008, 11:20 PM
get rid of him, i tell all my clients, june thru november is weekly with the growth rate due to rain fall.

Dunlaps LawnCare
07-08-2008, 09:19 AM
by weekly double the money

Wayne's Lawn Service
07-08-2008, 09:48 AM
SOUNDS LIKE WE ARE ALL IN AGREEMENT. Who's running your company?

When is the last time you paid for one gallon of milk and got two? It is the same difference.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
07-08-2008, 02:49 PM
Wayne - agree with you but not with the food analogy (I live in farm country here). Lets slam gas and foreign oil - when is the last time you pumped 10 gals of gas at 4 bucks and offered the attendant $3.50/gal?

Also, agree with double charge for bi-weekly cut. That way you might convince this man that weekly is a must. If he balks, find another customer....

Zookem
07-08-2008, 07:08 PM
I'm in the same boat you are right now. This is at my SECOND account overall so I was initially excited at the opportunity to mow this guy's lawn.
Then he tells me he wants it cut as needed. I'm new to all this so I'm just glad that I might have a repeat account.
I get a call yesterday, 1 1/2 weeks after I first cut his yard, and he has grass/weeds in a large portion of the yard (that was seeded last year) that is 10 inches tall. He has an irrigation system on this brush to make it even worse. I had to raise the deck on my push mower to the highest setting in order to even get through it. I was kicking myself the whole time.
The kicker:
He calls me last night and asks me what my price is going to be going forward and that he wants it BAGGED now! :dizzy: I haven't been able to get ahold of him yet but when I do I'm going to ask him why he wants his yard bagged.
I mean, the DOT doesn't bag the highway medians when they bushog it, do they?!
Geez.

Jaysondavislawnservice
07-08-2008, 10:02 PM
talked to him tonite and he said he wants it biweekly. He said he will try to mow it himself on the weeks i don't come lets seee how long that last.right now I really don't care if I loose him as a customer or not. if he dosn't mow it on the weeks im not there and i come on the second week im charging him double. see how this turns out. Cheap Ba$terd

freshprince94
07-08-2008, 10:56 PM
Two words: "Good Bye!"

DA Quality Lawn & YS
07-09-2008, 12:29 AM
Jayson - he won't mow very often on the off weeks....
And MAKE SURE to advise him, in writing if possible, that your charge is double for bi-weekly on an overgrown lawn. Don't just sneak this on his bill, the guy will flip!

talked to him tonite and he said he wants it biweekly. He said he will try to mow it himself on the weeks i don't come lets seee how long that last.right now I really don't care if I loose him as a customer or not. if he dosn't mow it on the weeks im not there and i come on the second week im charging him double. see how this turns out. Cheap Ba$terd

willy1361
07-09-2008, 12:30 AM
I just dropped a client for the same thing only he wanted us to come running every 3 or 4 weeks when he called and wanted clippings bagged for the same money

topsites
07-09-2008, 12:38 AM
I think all this talk about charging extra isn't going to work in my book...

Either that yard can stand to be mowed less frequently or it can't, I can not say whether it does or not but the point is if the customer wants something for nothing then they're also unlikely to pay extra. You can try it, but...

I do, however, find it strange this far into the summer the grass is growing like you say it is,
I just don't get how yards can grow like that in 90-100 degree weather, rain or not it doesn't make sense.

Zookem
07-09-2008, 09:08 AM

Either that yard can stand to be mowed less frequently or it can't, I can not say whether it does or not but the point is if the customer wants something for nothing then they're also unlikely to pay extra. You can try it, but...

I do, however, find it strange this far into the summer the grass is growing like you say it is,
I just don't get how yards can grow like that in 90-100 degree weather, rain or not it doesn't make sense.

In my case, this is a house that was built a year ago. The majority was sodded. The rest in the far back was seeded.....with what I don't know. Looks like junk to me. You know how newly seeded yards look when they are relatively new. Thick stalks and lots or weeds that crept in. To add to it the guy who lives there has no idea about lawn care.
Add to this seeded area the natural fertilizer of his dog, a sprinkler system and part shade you have a recipe for overgrowth even at a week!

kevinlane
07-09-2008, 04:46 PM

I can tell you we've been getting so much rain that some of my clients are calling and asking me to come out more frequently. I cut my own lawn 3 days ago, and its ready for another cut already. The moisture still remains in the grass even in this heat, so it grows like crazy. And no I didn't fertilize in the summer. On another note, do you guys really rake clippings? I always mulch the clippings, no raking= less work. Just a thought.

Jaysondavislawnservice
07-09-2008, 08:05 PM
i not raking unless hes going to pay so i guess it will just sit on top of the grass till next time. my grass grows like crazy to it almost seems like i have to mow twicw a week else its to long. when it does rain (like the past couple of days) it rains for a couple hours.

kevinlane
07-09-2008, 11:07 PM
Get yourself a mulch kit installed on that ex, saves alot of time. Better for the grass too, from what I understand.

hackitdown
07-12-2008, 12:43 PM
i not raking unless hes going to pay so i guess it will just sit on top of the grass till next time. my grass grows like crazy to it almost seems like i have to mow twicw a week else its to long. when it does rain (like the past couple of days) it rains for a couple hours.

That is the right answer.

I tell them that I can skip a week, and charge the same money, why not? As long as it takes me the same amount of time. If it looks like crap (clumps, clippings, mohawks), I explain that it looks bad because it was too long. Raking, bagging, blowing, sure, no problem...if they pay for it. Usually they go back to weekly.

dura to the max
07-13-2008, 11:42 PM
changing this account to bi-weekly really throws a monkey wrench into your routing. it also causes you to leave a lawn that is unsatisfactory to your reputation. i had a relative ask me to come trim, edge, and blow their lawn. i declined b/c it's in a decent neighborhood and the lawn was cut in the traditional homeowner circles and was uneven to boot. i didnt want my name associated w/ the lawn if it was going to be in that condition. if the lawn is truly growing in a manner that warrants weekly cutting then i would tell him that you will be there weekly to cut it, and if he still wants bi-weekly service add the normal "re-routing fee, bi-weekly fee, abnormal clean-up fee, abnormal debris removal fee etc" lol get his bill so high that he's paying over double to have it cut bi-weekly.

just a side note, if it was in writing that the lawn would be cut weekly at x$$$ then you wouldnt have this problem. i also stay an unusually long time to do my estimate in order to read the potential customer, if see a pita there is a pita/BS fee added.